Light but strong sticks

laxation

The sticks I use currently are Pro-Mark American Hickory 5A.

I like them because they're light, but they don't really last all that long, so I need some that are stronger and wont break. I need to use lighter sticks because heavy ones stuff up my wrists pretty bad.

The sticks tend to snap about an inch or 2 from the tip, if that helps.

Does anyone know of sticks that would work for me?

the more dense the stick, which creates the durability, typically the heavier the stick gets. Light and durable usually don't go together. Post up a setup of your kit. Might be something with your setup that's attributing to the stick problem. I've been using the same pair of promark 5a's(same as the ones you are) for the past 3 months and just replaced one of the sticks because the tip just wore down. How long are you getting out of a stick before it breaks.

Do you do a lot of rim shots? That can contribute to stick demise.

I've been using some Zildjian wood tip 5A hickory sticks for a while and I haven't had any breakage problems.

One thing I have seen a few drummers do in rock bands is tape electrical tape around the top of the stick (not the tip of course) to stop it from chipping as easily on rims and the edge of crash symbols.

You should try some maple sticks. Maple is lighter than hickory. It is also a softer wood which you would think would mean more breakage, but I have found the opposite. They do get chewed up faster, but they rarely break. I think the softer wood absorbs the impact more. I use pro-mark jason bonham signature sticks and I think out of the past 50 pairs I've only broken maybe 5 sticks. (I play 150+ gigs a year). I find it kind of odd that most of the times I break sticks it is when counting off a song and I get a little over-dramatic (for the audience).

Usually when sticks break it is a problem with the wood and not neccesarily the size of the stick. They generally break along the grain lines in the stick. When you're buying sticks be very selective. Take the sticks out and inspect them, roll them, look at the grain. Avoid sticks with diagonal grain lines that go across the stick especially in the last 2-3 inches of the stick.

Ever since I found maple sticks I have been in love with them because I like to have a really long stick but with hickory they just get unbalanced for my taste. With maple I've found the increased size and lighter weight to be perfect for me.

Post up a setup of your kit
image0043w.jpg

I will try maple sticks next time I'm at the drum shop. Also give that electrical tape idea a go... sounds good to me

Cheers guys

Back