Post Your Greatest Weakness ?

How many of you drummers play double bass ?

• Total voters
I way, way over-think things when I'm trying to record tracks. Perfectly relaxed at a show, and a nervous bundle when the red button gets pressed.

Just write a short solo based around a few beats mixing fills in & maybe even work in a bass player to back it...thats alwatys "Cool"...

Yeah that's the kind of solo I'd get on alright with, keeping it short and coherent. But those Moby Dick type things, I can't do those and in fact I find them boring.

My current greatest weakness is my feet. I live in an apartment and can't play drum set. I practice daily on the pad, so my hands stay in decent shape, but my feet are lagging behind. I guess I need to invest in one of those practice sets that includes bass drum pads.

My self confidence.

My social akwardness.

Yeah that's the kind of solo I'd get on alright with, keeping it short and coherent. But those Moby Dick type things, I can't do those and in fact I find them boring.

Thats why i suggested use a bass player because drum solo's really went out years ago & can be boring if too long ...and a bass ripping behind you will make it more interesting

There are too many to list, but Cocoa Krispies are near the top.

my greatest weakness is also my greatest frustration

my often scatter brained practices

I have so many things im working on and so many books im working out of that I drive myself crazy

I have a problem with putting too much on my plate

I want to work on it all but cant seem to find that comfortable medium where im not trying to squeeze it all in one practice session

not all the time.....but sometimes I feel like this affects my practice in a negative way

I try to get 5 major components into every practice session

1) some free flowing improv at a certain tempo ...lately have been working on creative solos in 7 .....and also soloing over a samba ostinato ....I do this repeating a one measure phrases, build 4 different ones then put them all together

2) Independence ....been working out of the El Negro book Conversations in Clave....great book

3) Linear playing....I love this style of playing and am trying to master it.....been working with Gary Chaffees Linear Time PLaying...also a great book

4) Polyrhythms...been using the Pablo Rieppi book Snare Drum Technique essential exercises for daily practivce....in the back there are amazing polyrhythm breakdowns , I just apply them to the kit

5) Speed and endurance....most of the time done on a pad running through subdivisions in different sticking patterns , and doing straight singles and double into one another through every subdivision
basically just conditioning muscle groups and trying to perfect my stroke

so my greatest weakness at the moment is focusing on one thing and being patient

Im well aware of this and am in the process of trying to dedicate a practice session to one or two of these components a day

its hard for me because I want to work on all of it

Im sure some of you know where im coming from

This is my life. I try to learn way too many things at once. I spend a ton of time with my sticks each day, as I can take them to work and practice tapping rudiments out on my leg, but I only have a max of about one hour each day to spend on my set. During that small amount of time I'm pulled in 10 different directions because I have a spastic mind and way too many technical goals. Having a really hard time staying focused on learning one thing at a time. It doesn't help that the area I need to focus on most, doing rudiments around the set with a metronome to improve my fills, is endlessly frustrating for me. Can't keep my dynamics even without losing time with the metronome. It makes me want to pull my hair out. I usually end up throwing Stick Control across the room and doing bass drum independence exercises from A Funky Primer instead, because I enjoy those.

Left hand trad grip in the blues shuffle. Solution: Stay away from jam sessions in blues bars late at night. And practice. If you have time left after getting it on with the latin thing of course ;)

Steph

Since day one I have entirely neglected left foot pedal technique on the hats. Hell, I don't even know the proper terminology for it.

High-hat foot thing. (That's wrong isn't it)

This is my life. I try to learn way too many things at once. I spend a ton of time with my sticks each day, as I can take them to work and practice tapping rudiments out on my leg, but I only have a max of about one hour each day to spend on my set. During that small amount of time I'm pulled in 10 different directions because I have a spastic mind and way too many technical goals. Having a really hard time staying focused on learning one thing at a time. It doesn't help that the area I need to focus on most, doing rudiments around the set with a metronome to improve my fills, is endlessly frustrating for me. Can't keep my dynamics even without losing time with the metronome. It makes me want to pull my hair out. I usually end up throwing Stick Control across the room and doing bass drum independence exercises from A Funky Primer instead, because I enjoy those.

before your completely bald try mastering just 1 issue at a time...then move on ...you have to focus on "sense of accomplishment" ...its that simple as you said your plates always full...If i were you... the # 1 issue is meter & you mentioned losing meter with a metronome...my youtube channel has a few samples from my book & dvd teaching rudiments around the kit with 1/4 -1/8 & 1/16th note patterns on the bass drums & in 3 meters with a metronome ...60 bpm,100bpm & 120 bpm....

before your completely bald try mastering just 1 issue at a time...then move on ...you have to focus on "sense of accomplishment" ...its that simple as you said your plates always full...If i were you... the # 1 issue is meter & you mentioned losing meter with a metronome...my youtube channel has a few samples from my book & dvd teaching rudiments around the kit with 1/4 -1/8 & 1/16th note patterns on the bass drums & in 3 meters with a metronome ...60 bpm,100bpm & 120 bpm... if you like pm me & I'll send you a CD of 72 exercises of rudiments i recorded in 3 meters you can play along with

Back