Joey Jordison

lmao i agree with the friends thing like he guys need a job? haha well yeah joey is one of the most respected metal drumerms out there and ibelieve he wonan award for fastest feet in there hometown or maybee another city i forget

I think when you talk about Joey, you must see the whole Slipknot thing. This guys do incredible shows and many people only see Slipknot when they talk about Joey. He as a drummer is very good, but not the best. But when you see this whole Slipknot thing and how perfect they work together it's just awesome.

i like very much this drummer, i've seen he last summer in tour with metallica and it was great

WOW! I've ALWAYS considered Buddy Rich the first "Joey Jordison" or "Travis Barker". Let me ellaborate.

First, I don't know enough of his music to say he's the greatest or worst drummer ever, but what I have seen and heard:

1- He was the original flashy drummer (and this upside-down drumming clip takes the cake)
2- He had amazing fast chops
3- He lacked taste from time to time, but was still always really 'cool'
4- He couldn't read music
5- He was always the drummer non-drummers were most impressed with

So I wonder. If drummerworld.com were around 50 years ago, would someone post a thread saying how much "Buddy Rich RULEZ!" heheh (oh man, I kill me sometimes)

stu

I like some of his stuff. I've never heard him solo so can't comment there, but I had their first CD until I had about 200 CDs stolen a few years back and I recall there being some quite tasty grooves on a few tracks - open/closed hi-hat patterns against quick single bass drum stuff with ghost notes interspersed. I thought that was quite nice for a metal drummer at the time. Can't check now though...

Well, somebody else mentioned Kenneth Shalk in another so I went off to find my Candiria CD and lo and behold... I actually found my Slipknot CD, not stolen at all. I obviously just never felt the urge to listen to it :)

Most of his metal/double kick/toms stuff is competent but not really that impressive by genre standards. It's certainly nothing like as terrifying as Gene Hoglan on the new Strapping Young Lad album, for example. But I stand by liking some of the stuff he does on his grooves:

There's a bit on "Liberate" (I think? No case, just a CD) at around 0:35 where he breaks out quite a tasty groove with an off-beat hi-hat and lots of alternation between the kick and snare. That would work quite well in a non-metal context, it's got a sort of techno/disco/breakbeat kind of a feel about it which is quite funky. Maybe he should go play dance music instead?

The music really, really sucks though. It's not even as funny as Disturbed, there's no hilarious being-beaten-up-by-his-mother sounds out of the singer. I want a refund...

ive heard a few negative things about joey and me personally think he is a very very very good drummer mabye even the best there ever is but allot of people are saying that he isnt very good well to me he is good because he can do triplets with demi semi quavers and i dunno if there is a person that can beat that but to me if he can do that he sounds like the best drummer there is 2 me (atached i have a link to a clip of him doing a drum solo)joey drum solo

The_Nameless said:
ive heard a few negative things about joey and me personally think he is a very very very good drummer mabye even the best there ever is but allot of people are saying that he isnt very good well to me he is good because he can do triplets with demi semi quavers and i dunno if there is a person that can beat that but to me if he can do that he sounds like the best drummer there is 2 me (atached i have a link to a clip of him doing a drum solo)joey drum solo

Well, first he isn't, and probably never will be the best drummer ever. I personally like him a lot, and he does have one hell of a foot, but calling him the best, no way. About the triplets with demi semi quavers thingy...most people probably couldn't do that. But, that doesn't make him the best. As I like to put it, it makes him different. ;)

I mostly agree with what lord quas said...hardly anyone says joey is the best drummer ever I think, but there are many who say he is the best metal drummer, this is true.Well he is a bit more than a drummer, but many good drummers have skills apart from their drumming, because he plays guitar pretty well and writes a lot of songs. His double bassing is very good, but still there are of course faster drummers today, but he is doing a great job in slipknot, nice fills, creative grooves(e.g. "duality"is pretty cool) and he is surely one of the most important and most influential drummers in modern metal. His performance in "show aspects" is very great as well I think, and what he has built up together with slipknot.
but eventually you cannot call him the best drummer, noone really deserves this title I think, also not the best metal drummer, at least not in technical aspects

Come on guys you have to tell me what you think of Joey '18 legs' Jordison i person ally think hes one of the best rock drummers of our time with a fantastic strong technique.

Joey Jordison Is a sick drummer but I think Chris Adler is better you might not have seen him play out of lamb of god but if you ever do It's really impressive I just don't like his choice of cymbals for some reason I hate those cymbals arrgghh...

I also am one who also thinks he fits into the band very well...I not really a Slipknot fan at all, but I'll listen here and there...As far as the video goes, countless drummers have been doing those riffs at that speed for ages...Mike Portnoy does that stuff all the time...It was just mostly those hand foot combos over and over...

NUTHA JASON said:
i've watched a couple of DVDs very carefully and you can't hear them at all. its all little joey and his roaring drums. love the white cymbals.

j

Live you can't hear them properly, but on the albums you really feel them.

largo61 said:
I would like to see Joey Jordison on a four piece drumset. He thrieves on eight and nine pieces. He needs a large drumset with a double bass. People would have a completely different perception of him if he used a four piece. This would prove just how mediocur he is.

Personally I think he's a lot better when he ditches all the tom crap and just plays kick/snare/hats. He's got quite good co-ordination and can groove when he tries, he just spends too much of his time trying to play like Gene Hoglan when he obviously can't...

largo61 said:
This is all I hear from Slipknot fans. They say Slipknot is the greatest band ever and Joey Jordison is the greatest drummer ever. He is not even close to the greatest drummer ever. I will as bold as to say he is a mediocore drummer. All he does is tasteless roles and crowd pleasers. A large amount of Slipknot fans are ignorant to the world of drums. And they prefur it that way. They refuse to listen to other drummers or consider another drummer better. He is not the greatest drummer. He is not even the best metal drummer. While he is a fast drummer, that is not the most important part of drums. After all, drummers are timekeepers. Not speed machines. I would like to see Joey Jordison on a four piece drumset. He thrieves on eight and nine pieces. He needs a large drumset with a double bass. People would have a completely different perception of him if he used a four piece. This would prove just how mediocur he is.

He's got the technique. He has practised his drumming a lot and now he can earn the fame for it. Many Slipknot fans are ignorant towards other music and I must say I like Slipknot very much and the main credit they get is for their show. See Slipknot as a whole thing and not the musicians for themselves.
I like Joey, but he is not the best drummer (as I said many times before.....). To me, he is as good as Ahmir Thompson or Chris Pennie. They are all good musicians and great Producers.

Edit: @ largo61: You don't need a great kit to be good, but it gives a good drummer a lot of opportunity's, doesn't it??!

LordQuas said:
He's got the technique. He has practised his drumming a lot and now he can earn the fame for it. Many Slipknot fans are ignorant towards other music and I must say I like Slipknot very much and the main credit they get is for their show. See Slipknot as a whole thing and not the musicians for themselves.
I like Joey, but he is not the best drummer (as I said many times before.....). To me, he is as good as Ahmir Thompson or Chris Pennie. They are all good musicians and great Producers.

Edit: @ largo61: You don't need a great kit to be good, but it gives a good drummer a lot of opportunity's, doesn't it??!

What I ment with that is he is using his large set to play a bunch of crowd pleasers. First of all the crowd is amazed at his set. Half the people I hear that says he is great talk at length about how his drumset looks great (which it does). The other half talk about how fast he is on toms. If he scaled down his set he couldn't use the crowd pleasers to such an insane degree. He would be known as a drummer with good funimentals and a decent jazz background. Not the greatest thing to happen to drums( Many slipknot fans think so). This is not however limited to Slipnkot fans. I hear the same with Blink 182 fans(Travis Barker) and Green Day fans (Tre Cool). These are just decent drummers that are concidered great because of their bands emence success.

Back