StarClassic 100% birch

rothb6109

This is my first post.

My current kit: 5pc Tama Sc Maple 10/12/14/16/22 with a pearl snare.

I have been offered a trade for my SC Maple drums for a SC birch (not B/B) in the same sizes, plus $1000.

My question is....Is that a good deal? Other than the different wood, are there any quality differences between the birch and maple starclassics?

I play mostly classic rock and hard rock, some metal.

The only reason I am considering this is because I could use the cash.

Thanks

I have a Starclassic Maple kit and I'd strongly consider doing it. But what would make the case is listening to the birch kit. I mean, I have trouble believing that the maple kit is worth 1000 dollars more, and if you could use the money, I'm sure you'd not regret it.

Birch is going to sound differently though. What I'd do is tune his birch kit up the best I could. Then take my kit over and hit some drums side by side. See if you can handle the difference. Like test the 12 inch, 16 inch and the bass drum (if you couldn't test all of the drums). Or if you have a particularly favorite drum in your maple kit, play it side by side with the birch.

You just HAVE to get a listen to the birch though. It is the only way to say for sure. But $1000? That would be hard to pass on even though I love my maple kit.

Has his kit been well cared for? Are you worried about him pulling a fast one? Do you know this guy? Do you think he'd do this knowing there was a problem with his kit?

Has his kit been well cared for? Are you worried about him pulling a fast one? Do you know this guy? Do you think he'd do this knowing there was a problem with his kit?

THIS ^

Seriously-be careful. But I guess if you figure a used Starclassic Maple shell pack is going for around $1500 and used Starclassic Birch shell packs around $500 (beat up a little bit) it's not that off the wall to consider.

As Boom said though-check them out first-especially for "hidden" damage. Bearing edges that are covered up by coated heads for instance, or maybe stripped lugs. Just go in with your eyes open....

The Starclassic Performer Birch kit I owned a few years back is still the best sounding drum kit I've ever recorded. Take that as you will - but if it's in good shape, I'd go for it... the maple Starclassics are nice kits, but I still think the birch and birch/bubinga ones are some of the best modern kits out there.

Tell you what, I have two Tama kits. One is a birch Granstar, the other, is an Artstar Maple Custom. I like both kits, but if it came to pure sound, I would go with my birch Granstars every time. They sound fantastic.

Was the Starclassic birch the performer series before the bubinga birch?

I would do it if they were in acceptable condition but I certainly would not offer anyone a grand plus a birch kit for a Starclassic maple. Be careful.

Something is rotten in Denmark here. If it sounds too good to be true, it is. All things being relatively equal, there isn't $1000 difference between those kits. Tama hasn't made a Starclassic all birch kit in recent memory so it is an older kit. How old is the maple kit?

Oh, and with the same hoops, heads, hardware, and tuning, you'll find only subtle differences sonically. They're (well made) ply shells after all. I second the suggestion of side by side comparisons of a couple drums but same heads and tuning or it won't matter.

As soon as Tama came out with the Performer (all birch) kits, I fell in love. I played them side by side at a local store and liked the birch much better than the maple. I never understood how the maple could cost so much more.

The best I can remember, they were the same quality of construction, just different woods.

IIRC, The birch spoke quickly and distinctly and had less sustain. I prefer a more brief note out of my drums anyway, so it was just what the doctor ordered. It did have less warmth and "roundness" to the notes, though.

Back