Need help with 1987 Yamaha Power Tour Customs.

john2003

Guys,

I'm new here and looking for some help figuring out an asking price for my Yamaha drums.

I am 99% positive they are 1987 Power Tour Customs. I printed a page from the 1986 Yamaha book and all the model numbers match.

BD-822 F
TT-810 F
TT-812 F
TT-813 F
FT-816 C

The kit is Piano Black and in good to great shape. Any help would be great!

Thanks,

John, try looking around ebay for what those drums go for. I know they are on there from time to time... In that finish, if it is not a wrap, I would say maybe $800 for good condition, because alot of dudes really like that series.

That is just a rough estimate from what I have seen.. I might be off a little bit.

These drums seem to have dropped in value since the new Yammie Tours were intro duced. It seems that the market doesn't understand the difference. I picked-up a similar kit, but bigger Turbo sizes. 4 toms and a kick for less than $400. I modified some of the drums and added an 8 and 10, and converted it to a jazz kit. Here's the before and after.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73874

Attachments

• !CB8zZO!!Wk~$(KGrHqF,!lcEz+y(EBJLBNJiZ+nebg~~_3.jpg
    !CB8zZO!!Wk~$(KGrHqF,!lcEz+y(EBJLBNJiZ+nebg~~_3.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 7,606
  • 040.JPG
    040.JPG
    242.7 KB · Views: 8,045
Guitar Center has what seems to be a similar used kit for $1200.00 I am not an expert by any means but don't the older Power Tour Customs have deeper more powerful sound then the newer kits.

Thanks, for all the help!

I think what you are describing was known as the Yamaha 8000 series in Europe. They are superb drums with Birch / Mahogony shell & split lugs rather than one-piece lugs on the 9000 series. Dave Weckl used one of these kits on the Chick Corea Akoustic Band live album.

I owned a set for about 20 years & sold it reluctantly to finance something else for £800. That was 2X 22" BDs, 12/13/14/16 TTs with some cases & tom holders.

The shells are birch and mahogany. Here is a catalog scan fro vintage drum guide. My model numbers match up with the PTC 1282. I don't have a snare.

1986_yamaha_catalog_12.jpg

The shells are birch and mahogany. Here is a catalog scan fro vintage drum guide. My model numbers match up with the PTC 1282. I don't have a snare.

We know what they are. They are the same line of drums as my yellow drums above. That's not the issue. The issue is - what can you sell them for? If it were me selling them, of course I'd try and get as much money as possible. However, someone may or may not pay that price.

Yes, they are higher quality than the current Tours. But does the market understand that? NO. When you can buy a new Tour kit for $900, what is someone going to pay for a kit that is 25 years old? See my point? That is the problem. Also, what Guitar Center is asking for one of these kits has little to do with what you can sell yours for. You would need to research selling prices, not asking prices.

Anyway, despite what I'm saying, ask the price you wish to ask for them. All you can do is try it. You might be best trying it locally, first. You may find someone in your area who is willing to pay $1200, especially if there is no shipping fee involved to jack the price up more. I think you would have a tough time on eBay, since there are newer Tour kits there for sale. Once again, the market doesn't understand the difference. If they see a 2008 Tour kit sell for $500 used, they may balk at a 1987 Tour kit whose asking price is $1200.

Good luck with it; I hope you get the price you are looking for.

Really great sounding and well made drums.

But value is a bit obscured by changes in the drum market since they were in vogue. Yamaha has re-used the Tour name for their new line, and the two lines of drums really have nothing to do with each other than the same name, which is confusing. And the market is flooded with Birch/Mahogony drums from a variety of manufactures, dropping their relative value from where it was.

These drums seem to have dropped in value since the new Yammie Tours were intro duced. It seems that the market doesn't understand the difference. I picked-up a similar kit, but bigger Turbo sizes. 4 toms and a kick for less than $400. I modified some of the drums and added an 8 and 10, and converted it to a jazz kit. Here's the before and after.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73874

Nice job on the modification of your TC...Who did you have cut down the shells?...Regarding the selling price of the kit in question...you're probably not going to much more than $1000, unless you find someone that just has to have that particular kit..more than likely you'll sell it for something under $1000...personally, I would not sell it for less than $1000...if its in great shape, it's worth more than that...

Really great sounding and well made drums.

But value is a bit obscured by changes in the drum market since they were in vogue. Yamaha has re-used the Tour name for their new line, and the two lines of drums really have nothing to do with each other than the same name, which is confusing. And the market is flooded with Birch/Mahogony drums from a variety of manufactures, dropping their relative value from where it was.

Right. That's exactly the issue here: Yamaha's reuse of the 'Tour' name with 2 lines 20 years apart that don't have any relationship to one another....exactly right.

Nice job on the modification of your TC...Who did you have cut down the shells?

Thanks, Precision Drum Co in New York did the toms. I did the bass drum myself. I gotta tell you that 18x16 floor tom makes an awesome kick drum. Lots of punch and more low end than you'd think.

I'm in the process of doing a refurb on the 24" kick. I raped it of the hardware for the 18", but I'm rebuilding it just to have something different. Heck, I have it. Might as well do something with it.

Set it up to get pics.

Attachments

• photo(5).JPG
    photo(5).JPG
    95 KB · Views: 6,702
  • photo(7).JPG
    photo(7).JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 8,380
  • photo(6).JPG
    photo(6).JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 6,101
That's a sweet kit, and anyone looking for something great sounding with fantastic hardware should be willing to shell out 7-800 for that.

I'd clean it up real nice and put the kit on consignment at a local shop you go too (if you have one).
Have them tag it "with hardware" at $900.
The shop usually takes 5-10%, so getting 800 (or more depending on tag price) would be doing good.
That's what I would do if you really want to sell.

It IS too bad Yamaha uses the same names. It's confusing, but then again, they want someone to buy their NEW kit, not someone's used kit they already got the money for...

Man, I friggin' LOVED that hardware! The stands...everything just looks right and perfect...
I never had any issues with my 7 or 900 series straight and boom stands, snare, hat, clamps etc... from back then.
You could throw the 900 series stuff off a roof. Beautiful stuff (might be still).

I was really bummed when they changed the look of it though. The new tilter stem is too short IMO...oh well haha!

Good luck!!

You have Power-Tour customs for sure, Here are mine except my sizes are (12-16-24) i've been looking for a 26"bd forever...love that kit it's held up gigging for 23 yrs. approx.

cool find,
Bonzolead

Attachments

• Me & the Yammies.jpg
    Me & the Yammies.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 6,099
I bought my Power Tour drums (standard laminate) back in 85. Great drums. I custom ordered the toms in 12/14/16.

If anyone has the 10" or even 10" AND 8" toms from this series that they'd be willing to part with, I'd sure like to talk about it. They could probably be any color, as I believe you can still get the wrap from Yamaha.

282563_10150269707438893_704553892_7770883_4080083_n.jpg

Back