DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 06-20-2014, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Anybody else who doesn't care about the World Cup?

Most people in this forum are American and therefore used to the different variation of football, which they call football (which is ridiculous) as it is basically rugby, but they use cowardly gear like helmets and padding. Actual football (aka soccer) however is still ridiculous at times, however much less ridiculous and much more enjoyable, hence why every country plays actual football (aka soccer) whereas no other countries play american football. As for the point of: why would you want to watch rather than play.. We all watch videos of our favourite drummers, because it is inspirational, exciting and enjoyable.. Hope this helped..
Old 06-20-2014, 11:11 PM

Cowardly and ridiculous are words that might hit back on you like boomerangs while you're cowardly watching on the sofa, even more so if all drunk and ridiculously dressed up...
Let every country have their national sport and pride.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:47 PM

Well England might have been knocked out of the competition in Brazil, but if we can beat Costa Rica on Tuesday we will become the Unofficial World Champions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unoffic..._Championships

It actually makes the match worth watching now!!
Old 06-20-2014, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPie View Post
Most people in this forum are American and therefore used to the different variation of football, which they call football (which is ridiculous) as it is basically rugby, but they use cowardly gear like helmets and padding. Actual football (aka soccer) however is still ridiculous at times, however much less ridiculous and much more enjoyable, hence why every country plays actual football (aka soccer) whereas no other countries play american football. As for the point of: why would you want to watch rather than play.. We all watch videos of our favourite drummers, because it is inspirational, exciting and enjoyable.. Hope this helped..
I wouldn't play American football if you paid me AND wrapped me up in bubble-wrap. I'm the coward, not American footballers. American football is very popular in Europe too, by the way.

All games are ridiculous per se. Whether they're enjoyable is an individual thang.

I know I'm going to regret the bubble-wrap comment. Vegetable oil and cling-film spring to mind.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:20 AM
Renegade

Once again the famously irrational British press has gone feral on their team. They are delusional.

Every four years the same triumphalist silliness. Yet every four years are turgid 0-0 draws full of "missed chances", disbelief at said dull performances and a vicious, bitchy and unreasonable media response, as though losing a competition they won once in a century comes as a shock.

The only difference I've noticed this year is that the England team actually put on a good game.

Soundcloud stream
Old 06-23-2014, 01:50 AM

Wow. This is some performance from the USA. If they hold on, they'll qualify before their toughest group game.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:55 AM

Spoke too soon, they conceded in the last 30 seconds. Portugal saved at the death from elimination.

This is the best World Cup in memory.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljacker View Post
Spoke too soon, they conceded in the last 30 seconds. Portugal saved at the death from elimination.

This is the best World Cup in memory.
Yep. There have been some tremendous games, not least the Australia V Netherlands match. That was unbelievable.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:22 AM
Administrator

And there have been some dogs. Bosnia and Germany in their games yesterday looked to be the laziest teams I have ever seen. wouldn't run 2 feet to win a ball. Not World cup caliber from either one of them.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:08 PM
Platinum Member

What is FIFA? Here's a summary...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I
Old 06-24-2014, 02:34 PM
Administrator

In laymens terms, FIFA is the governing body for International football(soccer)
Something like Federation Internationale de Football association.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:40 PM
Platinum Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C058wv48oms
Old 06-25-2014, 11:36 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Once again the famously irrational British press has gone feral on their team. They are delusional.

Every four years the same triumphalist silliness. Yet every four years are turgid 0-0 draws full of "missed chances", disbelief at said dull performances and a vicious, bitchy and unreasonable media response, as though losing a competition they won once in a century comes as a shock.

The only difference I've noticed this year is that the England team actually put on a good game.

Ha, it does tend to smart a little when you have one of the most valuable squads in the world, one of the most highly paid managers representing one of the wealthiest countrys in the world with the richest football heritage, and they turn out to be as piss poor as that.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
And there have been some dogs. Bosnia and Germany in their games yesterday looked to be the laziest teams I have ever seen. wouldn't run 2 feet to win a ball. Not World cup caliber from either one of them.
In general or just that match? Germany are always up there in the business stages of the big tournaments.They do very well when it matters. It would be impossible for a tournament to be flawless, the good games have been in the majority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
Ha, it does tend to smart a little when you have one of the most valuable squads in the world, one of the most highly paid managers representing one of the wealthiest countrys in the world with the richest football heritage, and they turn out to be as piss poor as that.
I don't think the England squad is anywhere near as valuable as you think, there are few if any truly world class players in it and their performance has shown them up for what they were. Don't believe what the English media tell you, they overrate the team frequently and overhype the Premier League.

Richest football heritage? How do you figure that? Sure England had a big role to play in popularising the game but there are countries who have achieved much more in the game.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
In general or just that match? Germany are always up there in the business stages of the big tournaments.They do very well when it matters. It would be impossible for a tournament to be flawless, the good games have been in the majority.

I don't think the England squad is anywhere near as valuable as you think, there are few if any truly world class players in it and their performance has shown them up for what they were. Don't believe what the English media tell you, they overrate the team frequently and overhype the Premier League.

Richest football heritage? How do you figure that? Sure England had a big role to play in popularising the game but there are countries who have achieved much more in the game.
The last matches the day of my post. I love the German team but they looked like they didn't really want to be there
Old 06-25-2014, 07:14 PM

I don't have a television set and I've never subscribed to cable (for television).

I get my fill on forums and YouTube etc...

So, yeah... I don't care about sports in general... but I do fish and sort of keep up with MLB. But when I'm traveling and see a PBR on the hotel cable... I stop right there and am glued to the event.

There's something about Bull Riding fascinates me...

I even went to a PBR event once... there was this Bull named Primo and the Bull was wrangled out to the middle of the arena and a spotlight shown brightly on this massive creature who proceeded to make a very large and cow pie. If you have never seen a cow (or bull) crap... it is like watching diarrhea squirt out of a hose and falls into a round mound of shite that is quite liquidy until the sun bakes it, hence the nickname Meadow Muffin.... anyway... everyone in the place went EEEYYYEEEWW when Primo relieved himself.

So the wranglers finagled Primo back to the chutes and the rider mounted and the place fell silent as Primo with rider was about to be loosed.

Bam... the gate slams open and Primo launches, and twists and jumps and hops over to that freshly made large pile of crap he just laid out and threw off that Bull Rider right-smack-dab in the middle of it... and everyone in the place went EEEYYYEEEWW for a 2nd time.

Who said that bovines were dumb. Primo knew exactly what he was doing!

Last edited by GeoB; 06-26-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPie View Post
Ahhhh,no.American football is played in 48 other nations like Canada,Germany,France Greece,Spain and Great Britian ,to name a few..

Steve B

Last edited by tamadrm; 06-27-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:21 PM
Gold Member

What's the world cup? (jk)

Here in Texas true football rules. Football, Nascar, Baseball, and Rodeo.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:37 PM

I care about the cup if.........we can melt it down, make some blanks, roll, hammer reheat hammer lathe and hey presto a really nice pang cymbal.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:27 AM

I couldn't care less about the World Cup. I watched a little bit of the end of the Germany and Argentina game and it was mediocre. Here in Illinois we care about football, and hockey. I would say baseball but all of our teams suck. Lol
Old 07-01-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bash View Post
I care about the cup if.........we can melt it down, make some blanks, roll, hammer reheat hammer lathe and hey presto a really nice pang cymbal.
Gold cymbals! I wonder what they would sound like. Actually I wonder if anyone has ever made cymbals out of precious metals. Obviously too pricey to market, but what would they sound like? too soft perhaps?
Old 07-01-2014, 11:43 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:

Based on current market value, England are in the top five most valuable. I agree, pretty meaningless.
Heritage? Not the same as success, but the heritage is still undeniable. Believe me, i'm not bigging up England, piss-poor doesn't begin to cover it.
Still, better than Ireland, eh? ;)
Old 07-01-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
Based on current market value, England are in the top five most valuable. I agree, pretty meaningless.
Heritage? Not the same as success, but the heritage is still undeniable. Believe me, i'm not bigging up England, piss-poor doesn't begin to cover it.
Still, better than Ireland, eh? ;)
The market value is likely to continue as long as young English players with one good season behind them are sold for £25/30/35 million.

Yeah, Ireland at the moment are very ordinary, a team full of journeymen players and still relying on an ageing striker for goals. Definitely a lean period.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:55 PM

Me!

Sports in general bore me.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:21 PM

I have absolutely no interest in this, or any World Cup. Sports, in general, bores me to tears.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:51 AM

Well done Germany! What a unit.

Disappointed for Messi, but he has silenced any critics he had left with his important displays for Argentina in this World Cup, he is one of the best of all time, as if that couldn't be assumed already.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Somebody cared about the world cup!!!

The World Cup final set a new Twitter record of 618,725 tweets per minute discussing the match, according to Twitter data.
Meanwhile, Facebook also said the game hit record numbers, prompting 280 million interactions, with 88 million people engaged globally. For comparison, 66 million people had more than 200 million posts, comments and likes during the Brazil-Germany semifinal match.
This live-time heat map illustrates just how much the Twittersphere lit up across the globe as Germany outlasted Argentina 1-0 to win the nation's fourth World Cup trophy:
Old 07-14-2014, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

On the contrary,I thought the WC final was great.Germany played their patient/waiting game,while Argentina took many limb shots on goal,and relied on a quick counter attack.Those often result in correct off sides calls,so a goal scored there is called correctly back.Germanys lone goal in overtime was a thing of beauty,and no goal keeper alive could have stopped it.

I personally,grew up around(real football) soccer,having been raised an a mostly European immigrant neighborhood,and attending a Catholic school that sponsored soccer teams,so I played the beautiful game.There were also some public and private soccer pitches(fields) to play on in Ridgewood NY.

American football is also cool but how often do you ever use your feet to kick the egg shaped ball,which isn't a ball at all?I also love baseball,but that can out of almost all sports, be as boring as golf.Hockey is a great game,but it's the only game where fighting is allowed.That's BS,as it's one of the reason for it's fan base.Take away fighting,and the sport would lose fans.The sport should be ablot the sport,skating,passing and shooting.Fight like that in any other team sport,and you're out of the game and possibly suspended,fired or arrested.There I said it.let the flames begin.

Steve B
Old 07-14-2014, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
Hockey is a great game,but it's the only game where fighting is allowed.That's BS,as it's one of the reason for it's fan base.Take away fighting,and the sport would lose fans.The sport should be ablot the sport,skating,passing and shooting.Fight like that in any other team sport,and you're out of the game and possibly suspended,fired or arrested.There I said it.let the flames begin.

Steve B
Damn Canadians eh? Really the fighting aspect is mostly a Canadian - North American slant on the game. It derives from those old original 6 teams...like the Bruins- Canadian rivalry games. The Europeans play a much more civilized and finesse hockey game, with better show of skills and talent - skating, passing shooting. You are correct the fans here would miss fighting. I think the fighting aspect of a sport is somehow very important to many fans as an outlet. For the life of me I cannot handle UFA 'fighting' as something to watch as entertainment

Oh ya world cup. Good final game, glad its over ....1 month is way too long.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:36 PM
Gold Member

Like a lot of Americans, I've never cared too much for soccer....................but I've always loved games that pit nations against nations..................................the competitive atmosphere and nationalism can be a joy to watch
Old 07-14-2014, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
Damn Canadians eh? Really the fighting aspect is mostly a Canadian - North American slant on the game. It derives from those old original 6 teams...like the Bruins- Canadian rivalry games. The Europeans play a much more civilized and finesse hockey game, with better show of skills and talent - skating, passing shooting. You are correct the fans here would miss fighting. I think the fighting aspect of a sport is somehow very important to many fans as an outlet. For the life of me I cannot handle UFA 'fighting' as something to watch as entertainment

Oh ya world cup. Good final game, glad its over ....1 month is way too long.
Europeans are the reason for the helmets and face sheilds with their constant high sticking. Not sure how civilized that is.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Europeans are the reason for the helmets and face sheilds with their constant high sticking. Not sure how civilized that is.

Huh?
The physical nature of the game, the really hard hitting - sticks on on heads, or heads on borards - is the reason for helmets. Just common sense, came about in late 70s' on, and eventually the hitting became harder, so padding went up in size. Compare the padding in a picture of Gordie Howe to say Sidney Crosby, neither of whom is super-big by their standards.

The hard hitting signature of the game originates on this side of Atlantic. Most high sticking is often accidental, and when not, is usually delivered by the brutes of the game. Are you meaning to say the European players are the brutes or goons of todays NHL?

Grunter we may need another 'off topic' thread to hash this one out :)
Old 07-14-2014, 09:02 PM
Silver Member

You guys just took soccer, put ice under it, and this became a hockey thread.

The Stanley Cup has been won…
The World Cup has been won…

Let's get back on the turf and get ready for some football. :-)

… But only after the All-Star Baseball Game.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:39 AM
Pioneer Member

Best World Cup ever, not sure how Russia is going to get close to matching it.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
Huh?
The physical nature of the game, the really hard hitting - sticks on on heads, or heads on borards - is the reason for helmets. Just common sense, came about in late 70s' on, and eventually the hitting became harder, so padding went up in size. Compare the padding in a picture of Gordie Howe to say Sidney Crosby, neither of whom is super-big by their standards.

The hard hitting signature of the game originates on this side of Atlantic. Most high sticking is often accidental, and when not, is usually delivered by the brutes of the game. Are you meaning to say the European players are the brutes or goons of todays NHL?

Grunter we may need another 'off topic' thread to hash this one out :)
The Euros aren't the goons but they are not very "cautious" with their sticks.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Silver Member

nationalism and "pride" in sporting events... ain't so innocent

Quote:
For example . . . let me give some cases. Take the emphasis on professional sports. It sounds harmless but it really isn’t. Professional sports are a way of building up jingoist fanaticism. You’re supposed to cheer for your home team. Just to mention something from personal experience – I remember, very well, when I was I guess, a high school student – a sudden revelation when I asked myself why am I cheering for my high school football team. I don’t know anybody on it, if I met anybody on it we’d probably hate each other. You know, why do I care if they win or if some guy a couple blocks away wins. And then you can say the same thing about the baseball team or whatever else it is.This idea of cheering for your home team -which you mentioned before – that’s a way of building into people irrational submissiveness to power. And it’s a very dangerous thing. And I think it’s one of the reasons it gets such a huge play. -Noam Chomsky
Old 07-17-2014, 12:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimFiore View Post
Just so there's never any question on this in the future:

I have no interest whatsoever in major televised sports of any kind, including soccer, football, baseball, tennis, NASCAR, horse racing or any endeavor that involves people chasing after or striking an object in some manner of "us versus them" adversarial construct.

While I am a strong proponent of individual athleticism, it is my observation that many televised sports appeal to all the wrong instincts in people. Second, I see these as little more than profit making schemes that distract people and leverage off of their in-group biases.

I see nothing wrong with a bunch of friends getting together to play baseball or soccer or whatever on a nice afternoon. It's good, solid, healthy fun. But sitting on a couch and watching other very highly paid people play that game while screaming at the TV, not so much.
All true, man. Hope this didn't fall on completely deaf ears.
panem et circenses ;)