Electric Kit: Yes or No? Read bigger discription

Browne

Yo, I've been looking into buying an electric kit to practice with my band. I can't afford thousands of £/$ but I've seen the Alesis DM10 Studio, which looks really good value for what you get.
The only thing that's stopping me is I'm scared that I will begin to neglect my lovely acoustic kit.
Does anyone have any pointers? Or some previous experience to share with this Alesis kit? What would be great as well if anyone had any recommendations for a good electric kit for under £1000?
And as well, can you just use standard guitar amps with electronic drums?
Thanks a lot,
Michael.

Well I always recommend Roland for electronic drums. They are definitely the leader in this area. I have played them for 20 years. Very reliable and great sounds. Whatever you get, you should try and get mesh heads. Less fatigue, quieter, and more realistic feeling.

A guitar amp will work, but the bass drum will suck. You really need a dedicated electronic drum amplifier for this, or a great PA to play through, and you use headphones for monitors. If they can't hear your kick, they will complain forever.

+ 1 on the Roland look at the TD 4. I looked for a long time and got it because it was the best for the money I believe the one I got (mesh snare and rubber toms) can be found for about $800.

I have a Yamaha DTExpress IV e set and ther are great. Its in no way going to compete with an acoustic kit, it just wont. However, you can have a ton of fun with them and do many creative things... I used BFD2 software with mine and for recording it sounds like an acoustic kit.
Roland is the top manufacture but unless your going to use your e kit on stage it doesnt matter to have rolands, even then yamaha will get the job done just as easily.
I've played every kit offered at GC and SA and the same issues go with each one... hi-hat is not even close to the acoustic type. I no longer like playing my e drums for pure playing enjoyment, now its only to keep the neighbors from complaining while I get my late night drum fix in.

Buy a used e kit from Roland or Yamaha and you'll be stoked! Both have amp/speaker options so your not stuck playing with headphones alone.

I agree with the TD-4. The trigger response, the sounds and training features are brilliant!
If you can afford all mesh pads - even better!

If you can spend £800+ i would always recommend roland.

Another idea would be to go with drum mufflers. i believe HQ has a package of rubber discs that you can place on your heads and cymbals.. to cut the noice 60% at least :D

I agree with the TD-4. The trigger response, the sounds and training features are brilliant!
If you can afford all mesh pads - even better!

If you can spend £800+ i would always recommend roland.

Another vote for Roland, I just got the TD4 and love it..I have spent 2 years buying and tuning snares looking for this one sound and got it in about 10 minutes with my TD4.. My acuostics get neglected only at home when someone is home..E-drums will not replace them but I look at it as expanding my percussion ability/education or whatever..a synthsizer is not a piano but you can expand your abilities and knowledge as a keyboardist with one.. I use mine with HQ headphones or through the PA with the band and they sound awesome and no-doubt in your price range.

Back