Best bargains you've scored

Nice scores Defender. The Mike Marsh is a great, and highly unknown, treasure.

I bought a 22" Zildjian A-series China Boy High for $100. I played it for five years, then sold it for $120.

I got a set of really tarnished Zildjian New Beats for $50. A good cleaning with Groove Juice, and they look amazing and sound great.

Sonor Force 2007 five piece including hardware for 315 Euros. Real steal (but sold again). And a Tama Metalworks 14x5.5 for 80 Euros including shipping. Turkish Millenium 17" Crash for 57 Euros. My best bargains so far.

All of my Craigslist snares...

1) Ludwig Supraphonic (1968) 5 x 14 - $100 (not a single spot of rust on it and just a few scratches and a couple dents)
2) Pearl Free Floater 1st Gen Steel Shell 6.5 x 14 - $100 (great condition)
3) Tama Starclassic (late 90s) Birch 6.5 x 14 - $100 w/Sabian 13" Salsa splash (both in absolutely perfect condition)
4) Ddrum Mike Marsh signature 7 x 14 ((17 lbs cast steel)) - $100 (absolutely flawless)
5) Yamaha JR Robinson signature snare 5.5 x 14 - $80 (birch with copper pins embedded in the batter side)(needed some work and a new top rim, but in very good shape)
6) Pearl Joey Jordison signature 6.5 x 13 - $60 (flawless)

Peace, Defender

My best CL was a Pearl Chad Smith with Gibraltar high snare stand for $85 bucks.
CS snare was meh,so I sold it for $120 bucks about a year later.
If Chad doesn't play his snare then why should I?

Tama Starclassic Bubinga Select kit in very limited finish (12 kits or so for US market) for $1800. Kit was Tama's absolute top of the line flagship the year it was released (pre Star) and packaged as 7-piece kits. My kit was used by a Tama as a demo at trade shows, but it was flawless. The Tama dealer heavily discounted the kit because it was a demo, and the kit was mysteriously missing the 16" floor tom. Given the price, I was happy with just the 14" floor given the price. Nonetheless I eventually inquired if Tama could build a 16" floor, explaining the missing drum. They checked and still had enough paint left over so they built a replacement 16" for me, though that special order for one drum cost more than half what I paid for the rest of the kit!

Attachments

• IMG_0599.JPG
    IMG_0599.JPG
    338.8 KB · Views: 66
Rich that is one gnarly looking finish.

My best score was a 70's Camco kit that I got on CL for $150. I sold off the Sabian cymbals that came with it to pay for new heads and some new hardware, and I refinished them myself . All told, IIRC, I was out of pocket $40.

I haven't posted any pix lately, and I'm too tired to try and remember how to do so. Here's a link to my post from a few years ago with pix.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115254

Second best would be the hard shell cases for the same kit that I also got off CL. They fit all five drums with two spares. For $50! They were from a guy that had to retire from gigging because he had emphysema. He told me about his illness as he smoked a ciggarette.

And one more- I traded an Acrolite snare and a terrible sounding Sabian China cymbal I had paid $90 for with a guy I had done deals with before, for a Premier Cabria kit- 20"x12"bass drum, 10" rack tom and 13" floor with a 13" snare. It's perfect for gigs where a really small kit is needed. Last summer I saw the same kit in a music store for $980.

Back