DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #81  
Old 08-27-2011, 06:32 AM
HipshotPercussion's Avatar
HipshotPercussion HipshotPercussion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Port Townsend, WA
Posts: 447
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
I know what you mean, Hipshot.

Having said that, as a human, I'm very happy for them (and wildly jealous) that they were/are playing music for a living rather than cramming in with other sardine commuters to be tied to an office from 9 to 5.

Swings and roundabouts ...
The way I look at it, if Buddha was right about life being suffering, then it's better to suffer on the course you've set for yourself than while you're weighing anchor for someone else.

(Hey, I know it's terrible metaphor. But I live in a town that's the biggest wooden sailing ship port in the world. Gotta pay it a little honor when I can.)
__________________
Hipshot Percussion
DW Collectors
"You can't have too big a dream - or too many drums."
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 08-27-2011, 06:43 AM
HipshotPercussion's Avatar
HipshotPercussion HipshotPercussion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Port Townsend, WA
Posts: 447
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams View Post
What do you do when the day is blue...sex and drums and rock nī roll... ;-)
I'm good with two out of three of those. For the purposes of honesty in this discussion, gotta cop to the fact that I very rarely do drugs...because my normal chemical imbalances give me the effect of being stoned much of the time.

Embarrassingly true story: Not that long ago a friend came to stay with us and brought, as a gift thanking us for our hospitality, some designer acid. After a couple of days, I finally gave in to his wheedling and tried some - a lot.

Flash forward to a time in the infinite future, when the friend is asking me how I liked it.

"It didn't do anything for me, dude. Sorry," I told him.

"You didn't see all the colors of my aura?" he said.

"Oh, yeah, absolutely I did," I said.

"You didn't witness the infinity of universes and wander from dimension to dimension?" he said.

"Oh, sure, I did. Of course," I said.

"Then how can you say it didn't do anything for you?" he demanded.

"Um...because I always see, witness, and wander anyway."

I also experience food as colors, and when I play the drums I taste every beat.

Bottom line: Drums are my drugs. Which seems like a good place for me to end this reply.
__________________
Hipshot Percussion
DW Collectors
"You can't have too big a dream - or too many drums."
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 08-27-2011, 06:51 AM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,281
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

So do mine and my stress management theraphy as well...very good theraphy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipshotPercussion View Post
Bottom line: Drums are my drugs. Which seems like a good place for me to end this reply.
__________________
Another day, Another challenge...
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 08-27-2011, 06:52 AM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is online now
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,454
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

I'll never understand why such a big deal gets made over such a tiny little thing.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 08-27-2011, 06:58 AM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,281
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

Because the world has turned into a fashion blow out everywhere...simple as that!
__________________
Another day, Another challenge...
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 08-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Juniper's Avatar
Juniper Juniper is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Near London, UK
Posts: 1,086
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

I have played under the influence of Week once or twice but to be honest it didn't leave a lasting impression on me as I found my feel too different to what I'm used to.

Have played gigs on Speed and Cocaine and to be honest it was a waste of time, didn't do anything for me. Found it frustrating as I kept on having to hold back wanting to add some super fast fills every other bar.

The most I have before a show these days is a pint or two to relax my nerves, then about an hour before stage time I switch to water to Hydrate myself. That's the formula I stick to these days being a little older and more mature.

Did a show a handful of years ago where I came to the venue in a bad mood after some personal stuff went down, proceeded to drink the rider and went on stage in a bad way. I have the DVD of that gig locked away as It's painful to watch. Glad it happened though as I have that as a reminder for the rest of my life. Let myself down that day, I was awful.

Keep your head and self respect.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 08-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Swiss Matthias's Avatar
Swiss Matthias Swiss Matthias is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 3,208
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

I'd completely keep my fingers away from any drug-like substances when
it comes to performing anything and intending to be the best you can be.

I never did anything, and I never will. Except for a beer or a little drink every now and
then, but never before playing.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 08-27-2011, 12:57 PM
jonescrusher's Avatar
jonescrusher jonescrusher is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portsmouth
Posts: 2,207
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipshotPercussion View Post

"Um...because I always see, witness, and wander anyway."

I also experience food as colors, and when I play the drums I taste every beat.

Bottom line: Drums are my drugs. Which seems like a good place for me to end this reply.
You're a very odd person Hipshot. The acid did more for you than you realise.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 08-27-2011, 10:31 PM
cobamnator's Avatar
cobamnator cobamnator is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 284
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
I have played under the influence of Week once or twice...
By "Week" do you mean MDMA?
__________________
Your Ad Could Be Here!
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 08-27-2011, 11:28 PM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,849
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

I have only one question about all of this.......If God dropped acid.....would he see people?

Steve B
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 08-28-2011, 01:13 AM
con struct's Avatar
con struct con struct is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lumpen post-industrial district
Posts: 2,071
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

Back in the nightclub show days, in the early to mid-seventies, the band members would go outside during breaks and pass one around. It was just something that was done. Being a kid still wet behind the ears I was happy to tag along. It made the gig more fun. I mean, some of the stuff we had to play was really corny. And the arrangements...forget it. Try a swingin' version of "Proud Mary."

Everybody did it back then. Bandleaders didn't seem to mind as long as the charts were played right and no one flubbed a cue or an ending.

Edited to add: Of course, the stuff musicians could get back then wasn't at all like the hammer-to-the-forehead stuff the young folks can get today.
__________________
Call me J

Last edited by con struct; 08-28-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 08-28-2011, 02:11 AM
sticks4drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
I have only one question about all of this.......If God dropped acid.....would he see people?

Steve B
I'm pretty sure God is a lot smarter than that. :)
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 08-28-2011, 04:53 PM
G-2 G-2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southeast, US...
Posts: 213
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

When rehearsing after drinking, I've found that I've injured my hands, blisters and the like, just much rougher and paying less attention to the hands when drinking. Anybody else have that experience?
__________________
If you're reading it, Suzy typed it...
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 08-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Juniper's Avatar
Juniper Juniper is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Near London, UK
Posts: 1,086
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobamnator View Post
By "Week" do you mean MDMA?
I mistyped Weed, although I have tried it. Couldn't play the drums on that stuff!!!.

Drums are bad, M'kay.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 08-29-2011, 04:28 AM
cobamnator's Avatar
cobamnator cobamnator is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 284
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
I mistyped Weed, although I have tried it. Couldn't play the drums on that stuff!!!.
Are you still talking about weed or MDMA?
__________________
Your Ad Could Be Here!
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 08-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Juniper's Avatar
Juniper Juniper is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Near London, UK
Posts: 1,086
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobamnator View Post
Are you still talking about weed or MDMA?
Was on about MDMA there.

Anyway, enough about all that.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 08-29-2011, 01:28 PM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 10,001
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
Drums are bad, M'kay.
Are you talking about drums or drugs? lol
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 08-29-2011, 02:37 PM
Juniper's Avatar
Juniper Juniper is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Near London, UK
Posts: 1,086
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

....having a 'mare here aren't I?.

*leaves the thread in shame*
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 08-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is online now
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,454
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

Louis Armstrong? Total doped up hack, am I right?

Quote:
The 20th century stories of music and marijuana both begin in Storyville, the red light district of New Orleans. This is where Louis Armstrong was born in 1901, and where the first recorded American use of "marihuana" occurred in 1909.

According to cannabis historian Ernest Abel, "It was in these bordellos, where music provided the background and not the primary focus of attention, that marihuana became an integral part of the jazz era. Unlike booze, which dulled and incapacitated, marihuana enabled musicians whose job required them to play long into the night to forget their exhaustion. Moreover, the drug seemed to make their music sound more imaginative and unique, at least to those who played and listened while under its sensorial influence."1

Growing up in this milieu, as Armstrong told his biographers, much later, "We always looked at pot as a sort of medicine, a cheap drunk and with much better thoughts than one that's full of liquor."2

Jazz and swing music was declared to be an "outgrowth of marihuana use" by the white authorities. They expressed concern that itinerant black musicians were spreading a powerful new "voodoo" music and that they also sold the weed which made decent folks abandon their inhibitions.
Quote:
...So Anslinger hated marijuana for the same reason jazz musicians loved it! One of the reasons Anslinger was motivated to stop people smoking pot in the first place was because it inspired unconventional jazz music!

Even after he'd managed to get marijuana banned in 1937, Anslinger was so vexed by pot-smoking musicians that he instructed his agents across the country to keep an eye on all local jazz musicians and prepare for the day when they would all be rounded up in one fell swoop!

The planned Jazz Pogrom was abandoned in 1948, when Anslinger went before a Congressional Committee to plead for more funds to carry out his dastardly plan and shot himself in the foot: newspaper reports of his denunciation of jazz musicians prompted thousands of letters of objection from the jazz-loving American public.
The Beatles? Those burnt out wanna be musicians couldn't sell their doped up music to a fellow doper!

Quote:
The Swingin' Sixties officially kicked off on August 28, 1964, when Bob Dylan met the Beatles in their hotel suite during their first visit to New York and turned them on to pot. Paul McCartney told Barry Miles how Ringo took Dylan's proffered reefer and, not knowing that etiquette dictates that the skinny cigarette be passed around, smoked the whole thing. From that day forward, throughout what is universally accepted to be the most creatively fertile period of any pop group in history, the Beatles were stoned out of their ever-expanding minds on a daily basis.

Any and every mention of "high" or "grass" or "smoke" in a Beatles song, said Paul, was always intentional. By the time they made Help, at the height of Beatlemania in the Summer of '65, according to John Lennon: "The Beatles had gone beyond comprehension. We were smoking marijuana for breakfast. We were well into marijuana and nobody could communicate with us, because we were just glazed eyes, giggling all the time."

Last edited by Dr_Watso; 08-29-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 08-29-2011, 07:14 PM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is online now
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,454
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
I'm pretty sure God is a lot smarter than that. :)
You should take some acid and ask him...
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 08-29-2011, 07:15 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 20,571
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

Anslinger was one of the biggest pieces of human garbage who ever walked the earth. He used to supply his good friend, Senator Joseph McCarthy with morphine, so his addiction wouldn't become public and his reputation would be spared. He crusaded relentlessly about cannabis, all the while supplying hard drugs and who knows what else. What a piece of shet he was. I hope his soul is tortured for eternity. If he was here, I'd drop kick him in the nuts.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 08-29-2011, 07:15 PM
HipshotPercussion's Avatar
HipshotPercussion HipshotPercussion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Port Townsend, WA
Posts: 447
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Louie Armstrong? Total doped up hack, am I right?......The Beatles? Those burnt out wanna be musicians couldn't sell their doped up music to a fellow doper!
I didn't know any of this. Amazing. Informative. Infuriating.

Thanks, Doc.
__________________
Hipshot Percussion
DW Collectors
"You can't have too big a dream - or too many drums."
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 08-29-2011, 07:17 PM
inneedofgrace's Avatar
inneedofgrace inneedofgrace is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New Jersey - Exit 5
Posts: 1,560
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I think we're trying to be 'had'... the post has got to be a gag! I thought it was amusing enough as-is: "Every single one of those times I notice myself being more creative, faster, and on perfect time. I bust out lighting fast double strokes around the toms and sharp off beat snare pattens to perfection. The best music I have written I wrote fresh off the dank."

But when Max later said "Keep the comments and ideas coming i'll see if I can post a video of the recording here by the end of the week", I mean, we're being set-up for something hilarious, I know it!

Really, you are kidding, right? Let's see the video! :)

Bermuda
I'm going to refrain from being baited into this discussion.

Playing in a praise band but not believing in God? That's like going to the shooting range every week, but being anti-gun.
__________________
"Through many dangers, toils and snares..." - Amazing Grace, third verse
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 08-29-2011, 07:26 PM
cobamnator's Avatar
cobamnator cobamnator is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 284
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
You should take some acid and ask him...
LOL .
__________________
Your Ad Could Be Here!
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 08-29-2011, 08:21 PM
HipshotPercussion's Avatar
HipshotPercussion HipshotPercussion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Port Townsend, WA
Posts: 447
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofgrace View Post
I'm going to refrain from being baited into this discussion.

Playing in a praise band but not believing in God? That's like going to the shooting range every week, but being anti-gun.
Um, that would be me. Self-preservation trumping ideology (or idealism) in this particular case.

I'm talking about the shooting range thing, but it would work for playing in a praise band too. "Just in case" is a way of life for many, many people.
__________________
Hipshot Percussion
DW Collectors
"You can't have too big a dream - or too many drums."
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 08-29-2011, 09:35 PM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,729
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

There are certainly some varied opinions, and it's easy to throw around some names and an entire artform to justify smoking as part of the music-making process.

I wonder... did any working musicians get hired because they smoke on the gig or during the creative process? Anyone ever get fired because they didn't? I haven't run across any in 35+ years as a working pro.

Now, how many musicians got fired because they smoke (or drink) on the job? You'll need a calculator for that one.

Max, the bottom line is, nobody's going to hire you because they require someone who smokes, yet you're always in danger of losing the gigs you have as a result of smoking. It's lose-lose. On the other hand, it's guys like you who keep guys like me working, so I'll stop here and offer my thanks instead of any more sermons. I'm sure you hear enough in church.

Bermuda
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 08-29-2011, 10:05 PM
fixxxer's Avatar
fixxxer fixxxer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 390
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

Totally agree with Bermuda and I'll add.... if you need the drugs to play or to be creative then maybe you aren't as good as you think you are in the first place! Put the bong down and do some real practicing!
Don't get me wrong, I judge no one. Smoke 'em if you you got 'em for all I care. Just don't try to tie in good performance of anything to substance abuse. I believe that if you are a badass drummer who happens to smoke then you are a badass because of the time, effort and determination you have put into your instrument, not the drugs you choose to put into your system.
__________________
"For the words of the profits were written on the studio walls- CONCERT HALL!"
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 08-29-2011, 10:26 PM
sticks4drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
You should take some acid and ask him...
Well that might be the way you get there, but not me.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 08-29-2011, 11:12 PM
HipshotPercussion's Avatar
HipshotPercussion HipshotPercussion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Port Townsend, WA
Posts: 447
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I wonder... did any working musicians get hired because they smoke on the gig or during the creative process? Anyone ever get fired because they didn't? I haven't run across any in 35+ years as a working pro....Bermuda
Oh, God, here I go sticking my foot in it again, but that's not just a pattern with me it's one of my rudiments. So:

Back in the '60s before my career direction was etched in stone, I toured as a sub drummer with a band that was about to break and break big. The idea was that if I worked out I'd have the permanent gig because the other band members were fed up with the original drummer's behavior.

I did okay on the drumming part, that I know. But I could never connect with the others in the band personally. They didn't - couldn't - trust me, and I didn't - couldn't - trust them. I was, quite simply, the only one on the tour not using hard drugs, and that made me the supreme outsider in that society. At the end of the tour neither they nor I even bothered to mention the permanent membership thing. We just went on our separate ways.

Wait, someone associated with the band did bring it up. The junior agent assigned to travel with us and facilitate everything. He said he was sorry to see me go because I was the only guy in the group who would talk to him. I didn't say anything at the time, but I was thinking that that fact was the last straw for me because...well, he was not a guy I'd ever want to talk to if I could help it.

Fire when ready.
__________________
Hipshot Percussion
DW Collectors
"You can't have too big a dream - or too many drums."
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 08-29-2011, 11:35 PM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is online now
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,454
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
There are certainly some varied opinions, and it's easy to throw around some names and an entire artform to justify smoking as part of the music-making process.
I hope you don't think that's what I did, but none the less, music as we know it today would simply not exist as is does had (specifically) cannabis not been a part of it. Beyond that, easily the vast majority of some of the most popular music in several genres was written, recorded, and performed "on pot". Quite simply. This is not a big deal. It won't make you a music genius to smoke, and it won't make you a bumbling idiot if you don't overdo it. It's just not that big of a deal. Naming a few game changing artists who got where they were stoned to the gills was just an illustration. Apparently, they weren't the only ones who liked the sense of creativity and euphoria they felt it added to the music.

Quote:
I wonder... did any working musicians get hired because they smoke on the gig or during the creative process? Anyone ever get fired because they didn't? I haven't run across any in 35+ years as a working pro.
Nobody is going to specifically say it's because you don't smoke/drink with the guys. It goes under the heading of personality conflicts. I've seen it a few times. I've also seen guys get fired because they couldn't handle their drinking; so far haven't seen an issue just with pot, but I know people get out of hand with that, too.

Quote:
Now, how many musicians got fired because they smoke (or drink) on the job? You'll need a calculator for that one.
They got fired because they didn't have their priorities straight; not because they partook responsibly. Responsible enjoyment of an intoxicant is not the same thing as abuse of an intoxicant. The best way to get fired from a band is to let other things become more important. It could be a new lady friend, or an intoxicant, food, or any number of things that take away your focus. At the same time, if I have a few beers to loosen up before I hit the stage, that's my business, and should be my right to indulge responsibly.

Quote:
Max, the bottom line is, nobody's going to hire you because they require someone who smokes, yet you're always in danger of losing the gigs you have as a result of smoking. It's lose-lose. On the other hand, it's guys like you who keep guys like me working, so I'll stop here and offer my thanks instead of any more sermons. I'm sure you hear enough in church.
I think the bottom line is to make good music, and have fun in life. If someone wants to enjoy a few drinks or a doob before they make good music, they're not going to get fired for it unless they let things get out of hand. Statements like "it's a lose - lose" just sound a bit closed minded. You'll get hired because you play well, and get fired because you do not perform well. If it was all lose, nobody would do it.

I'll also note that you and Al probably owe a lot of your success to stoned people laughing at your parodies. In fact, I can remember a few good times back in school listening to Weird Al CD's with "enhanced enjoyment factors"; and on that, I'll stop with the sermon and offer my thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 08-29-2011, 11:39 PM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is online now
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,454
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
Well that might be the way you get there, but not me.
So, what's it like "there"?
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 08-30-2011, 12:04 AM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,729
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I'll also note that you and Al probably owe a lot of your success to stoned people laughing at your parodies.
And I'll note that we made all of those recordings, videos and performed in concert over the last 28 years without the 'benefit' of substances. I've seen a lot more harm than good come from mixing even simple pot with different facets of the creative process. But, I've also been in the business a long time, in L.A., during the boom of the drug culture, and I'm careful to avoid the pitfalls that others stumble into.

I've seen 'em come, and I've seen 'em go, and I'm still here. Kinda says something for playing it straight.

Bermuda
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 08-30-2011, 01:45 AM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is online now
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,454
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post

I've seen 'em come, and I've seen 'em go, and I'm still here. Kinda says something for playing it straight.

Bermuda
Yep, it says what works best for you. I know guys who get really mean to the point where it hurts their life when they drink. For them, I think it's best if they abstain. For others, perhaps they can handle things a bit better, or don't react the same way. Everyone is different, and blanket statements like "it's a lose-lose" simply cannot be truth in every situation, as was evidenced by some of the most influential musicians, writers and artists of all time.

If you find yourself blaming your problems on a substance, it's time to stop partaking and look at what makes it so you can't handle enjoying that substance responsibly. For some folks, total cut off is really the best route.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 08-30-2011, 02:29 AM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,729
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Everyone is different, and blanket statements like "it's a lose-lose" simply cannot be truth in every situation...
Not every situation, no. But replying to me earlier with "Statements like "it's a lose - lose" just sound a bit closed minded." is rather unfair, given my experience and what most people would agree is a successful, continuing career drumming. You can't do what I do for as long as I've done it, and be the least bit closed-minded. Focused? Yes. Principled? Yes. Driven? Yes. Closed-minded? No.

Quote:
If you find yourself blaming your problems on a substance, it's time to stop partaking and look at what makes it so you can't handle enjoying that substance responsibly. For some folks, total cut off is really the best route.
I agree that abuse is another matter, and I would hope that nobody tries to defend that. But I'd like to get back to the OPs statement that he thinks he's better, faster, and more creative when high. Does that mean he's not very good when he's not? Can't he cut a gig without smoking first? It's not abuse, but it is a problem. I don't want anyone to get the idea that playing straight is somehow worse than playing high. And that's not just an approach that works for me, it also works for countless pros. Not everybody is out there getting high when they make music, yet there's plenty of amazing songs and parts coming from amazing players. In my experience, those players who keep their recreational use separate from their professional pursuits do the best.

There are far more failings with people thinking they're playing & creating better while high, than with people who play it straight.

And as mentioned, a number of players get their high simply from playing. I do. If Max can't dig drumming unless he's high, he should probably find somthing else to do.

Bermuda
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 08-30-2011, 02:45 AM
bobdadruma's Avatar
bobdadruma bobdadruma is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: second measure of a fill-in
Posts: 11,292
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

I played with a band that liked to get high whenever they played.
I don't care for it so I didn't smoke with them.
They would always make mistakes while we played. They played OK but they could have been much better.
One day we were playing at a town fair. There was no place or opportunity for them to smoke and they didn't smoke that day.
They played an almost perfect show!
__________________
I kind of like old drums:)
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 08-30-2011, 02:55 AM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,729
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
One day we were playing at a town fair. There was no place or opportunity for them to smoke and they didn't smoke that day.
They played an almost perfect show!
Gee, that's too bad.


:)
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 08-30-2011, 03:04 AM
bobdadruma's Avatar
bobdadruma bobdadruma is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: second measure of a fill-in
Posts: 11,292
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

Yea, It was too bad,
I eventually left them because I couldn't take it anymore.
The guitar player also left shortly after I did for the same reason.
I sub'd for their new drummer a few months ago.
I couldn't wait for the gig to end!
It was just like I remembered it!
Nothing had changed.
__________________
I kind of like old drums:)
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 08-30-2011, 10:44 AM
MattA's Avatar
MattA MattA is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 166
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

I'm along the lines of 'horses for courses'. I know people that need to get high just to feel 'normal'. For them, they usually function better that way. My personal experience is that I don't like weed so much for performing, whether that be on stage or in the studio. What I do love it for though is the creative side of it. Often if I'm trying to come up with a beat or groove for a certain section of music but nothing seems to fit, I'll get a bit stoned and approach it again. 9/10 times I'll come up with something that fits perfectly. When I say fits perfectly, I'm talking about hearing it stoned and sober, confirmed by recording it. So while I subscribe to the notion that it's really about whatever blows your hair back as an individual, I personally love it for the creative process but not so much for performance.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 08-30-2011, 11:22 AM
last man to bat's Avatar
last man to bat last man to bat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: East Anglia
Posts: 259
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

One way to guarantee improving the sound of your Hi-Fi is to smoke some pot. This says to me that smoking dope changes only your perception of what you are listening to, it does not actually change the music.

Speaking as someone who used to play gigs stoned all the time and no longer does, I can honestly say that I am more on it and more creative now, than when I was stoned. But I had a good time none the less, it was pretty crazy at times. I have never worked for a band leader so I cannot say how the work I have got has been effected as I have always been booked as a member of a band. I thought I was pretty good stoned, but listening back sometimes was painful. My timing was never very good in those days either.

We played a gig recently where the promoter was really good, all for the bands, negotiated pretty good wages and catering and accommodation were 4 star. He did all this straight, but as soon as the bands came off stage and his work was finished he partied and smoked and drank, but never did this when he was doing his job.

The point I guess I'm trying to make is that it is all rock and roll and good fun, you just have to way up what works best for you, but I'm not sure that smoking was the creative fast track that I once thought it was.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 08-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 10,001
Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by last man to bat View Post
One way to guarantee improving the sound of your Hi-Fi is to smoke some pot. This says to me that smoking dope changes only your perception of what you are listening to, it does not actually change the music.
Ain't that the Truth.

Matty, I find that pot makes me less musically inhibited - sometimes - but I like it best to
get out of the work headspace after commuting home. A smoke seems to clear the work noise out of my head (and probably a whole lot of other stuff lol) so I'm probably using it the way many people use wine. Weirdly, I like the taste of smoke more than I like the taste of alcohol (apart from straight Scotch). Otherwise I'd probably have a drink instead. If I wasn't a slug I'd go to the gym instead. All of those things will do the job.

My office supplies us with performance enhancing drugs (coffee) so a I feel (almost) zero guilt about having a little pipe after work. It took me a long time to learn to use rather than abuse, though. In my experience, it's been more of a hindrance than help before band practice, gigs, work or dealing with family. For me it's best as a winding down thing and accompaniment for hedonistic pleasures.


__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.

Last edited by Pollyanna; 08-30-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com