DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:03 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drums and Drugs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckenheimer View Post
I actually have to quit coffee. I always drink and practise so my best playing and time occurs within the context of caffeine but I think it would improve after a few weeks off. I'm becoming an overly twitchy person. I am okay when doing a lot of motion but realized today when I was playing very low single strokes I found it hard to sit still. Which is a new issue.
After I stopped smoking a few months ago I found that I also had to quit coffee. The caffeine without the nicotine was really messing up my timing.
It took a few months but I am fine now with no nicotine or caffeine.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:23 AM
Silver Member

I am 23 years sober from Cocaine and pot. Playing music is a natural high anyways. I remember back in the day all wired on cocaine and playing limelight from rush at 180 BPM. One beer will mess up my touch and feel, besides that it gives me a headache. I played a gig last wekend and there is one of the guitar players walking through is pile of beer bottles and playing like crap. one of the singers was so drunk she could not even sing. That stuff is very unprofessional and embarassing to be a part of. The rest of us show up sober and stay sober and play the best we can. I just don't understand why there has to beer involed wirh everything, Is life that dull that you need to tie one on when ever there some sort of social activity.

http://www.youtube.com/user/slfsc
Old 08-26-2011, 05:24 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
I have been all of these things during my life. I assure you it wasn't always funny.
It seems funny for a while but I am not laughing now as I look back.

The pont is that you don't need anything to play.
I love playing now more that ever because I am in complete control.
I really like the new me and my musician friends do too.
I was just laughing at the picture in my head. I know the reality isn't funny. I've been there, done that and got the t-shirt. Unfortunately, I'm one of those people that has to learn every lesson first hand. I wish I could have taken the after school special's word for it.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I think we're trying to be 'had'... the post has got to be a gag! I thought it was amusing enough as-is: "Every single one of those times I notice myself being more creative, faster, and on perfect time. I bust out lighting fast double strokes around the toms and sharp off beat snare pattens to perfection. The best music I have written I wrote fresh off the dank."

But when Max later said "Keep the comments and ideas coming i'll see if I can post a video of the recording here by the end of the week", I mean, we're being set-up for something hilarious, I know it!

Not trying to ruin the fun, I want to see what the video is!

BTW, if the post was serious, mixing pot with performance is a bad idea. Use it recreationally if you like, but music is a different thing. You are not more creative, not faster, don't have better time, and aren't doing anything to "perfection" when you're high. Oh, I know you think you are, but ask a straight audience, engineer, or your bandmates how you're really doing.

Really, you are kidding, right? Let's see the video! :)

Bermuda
I'm going to try my best to make this happen for you dude
Old 08-26-2011, 06:50 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectron View Post
I hear ya man, but the truth of the matter is
that is what weed does - it makes you think
whatever you are doing, thinking, saying is incredibly profound.

Don't ever place a dependancy on any substance to cultivate creativity
you could wind up feeling like you have to get high to play well and believe me that is not where you want to be.

I toke up once in a while myself and after 30+ years of experience with this drug
I can tell you straight - you're not actually playing any better or more creatively - you just think you are.

But don't just take my word for it
try this: record yourself playing while high as a kite but don't listen to the play back
until you stone cold sober.

I think you'll be surprised.

Not downing weed - I puff too.
But don't fall into the trap that it enhances your playing or creativity.
My.02
+1

Pot and drums mix very well when they are mixed for your own recreation; but for the average drummer who gigs, they don't mix well in the long term. That said, all you have to do is read Life by Keith Richards to get an insight into how the two can mix.

GJS
Old 08-26-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesdog View Post
I played a gig last wekend and there is one of the guitar players walking through is pile of beer bottles and playing like crap. one of the singers was so drunk she could not even sing. That stuff is very unprofessional and embarassing to be a part of. The rest of us show up sober and stay sober and play the best we can. I just don't understand why there has to beer involed wirh everything, Is life that dull that you need to tie one on when ever there some sort of social activity.
I hate it when you see a band play and there is always that one drunk and/or high guy in the band thinking he is tearing it up...but he's not.

I have yet to hear anyone play "Better", that is, with more musicality, more emotion, and more creativenesses, let alone more technique, while high or drunk...just doesn’t happen.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobamnator View Post
I have yet to hear anyone play "Better", that is, with more musicality, more emotion, and more creativenesses, let alone more technique, while high or drunk...just doesn’t happen.
Save for a good portion of the rock 'n roll hall of famers.....a good portion of the jazz hall of famers.....a good portion of the multi platinum selling acts for the last 60 years or more.

Whether it's right, wrong or indifferent, I'm not here to debate. I couldn't care less. But so, so many of them certainly had musicality, creativity, emotion and technique in spades. Check your record collection and try and find the artists who were clean.....as I said before, it makes for some light reading.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:26 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Save for a good portion of the rock 'n roll hall of famers.....a good portion of the jazz hall of famers.....a good portion of the multi platinum selling acts for the last 60 years or more.
But how many of those artists were high during performances or recordings? Certainly some, but not a good portion.

I know plenty of pros who enjoy their vice of choice, but never when they're on the job.

As for someone thinking they're playing amazing things - whether high or not - that determination is made by the listener, whether they're the producer, a band member, or the audience. The player doesn't have the final word on whether he did a good job.

Bermuda
Old 08-26-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
As for someone thinking they're playing amazing things - whether high or not - that determination is made by the listener, whether they're the producer, a band member, or the audience. The player doesn't have the final word on whether he did a good job.
Bermuda
Unless you also happen to be the "other band members," the producer or a type C personality. If it's the latter, you don't ever think you play amazing things, high or not, and nobody else's word means as much as your own. Bonus points (read: God help you) if you happen to be all three.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:23 PM

In the time I've spent around performers of all kinds, what I've seen is that most of those who do their thing while high believe they're doing a much better job of it than they would otherwise.

They all talk about feeling "more in control." And from my perspective, everyone who has said that about him/herself has been, quite simply, wrong. They weren't better, and they certainly weren't more in control.

OTOH, most of those same performers wouldn't be able to set foot on a riser/stage/studio floor without at least taking something to get over the terror caused by knowing they're about to expose their fundamental beings, their very souls, if you will, to tens or hundreds or thousands or even millions of strangers. Because that's what so many of the great ones feel they have to do.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:29 PM

Playing the drums requires more concentration, coordination and skill than flying a plane.

How many of you are going to get onto a plane if the pilot is high (metaphorically rather than literally of course)?
Old 08-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Sure why not start a thread that will get deleted. You my friend have opened a family sized can of worms. One one hand do you really think people are going to advocate smoking cannabis before playing? On the other hand, of all the drummers that play, what percentage are completely 100% not under the influence of some substance, not limited to cannabis? Aside from the legality part which is a joke, (you can use these poisonous drugs but not these non-poisonous drugs) people will alter their consciouses as they see fit. It's always been like that and always will. Comes with being an adult. Some use various forms of alcohol, some use cannabis, others, use prescription drugs, some use mild stimulants like caffiene... the list goes on and on. So yes it goes on. That's about as personal a choice as there is and a thread like this is a guaranteed lightning rod of strong immoveable opinions. So good luck with this one.
Me I like it, and I say so because I'm sick of hiding it, while people legally get inebriated and black out. I support anyone's right to use whatever that person feels is OK for them, and the government should not have the power to micromanage the blood/brain barrier. In the end it's your personal choice. Me I say if it feels right then it is right, but I am pretty liberal when it comes to individual rights.
+1 (even though I don't smoke anything, except the odd toke if one is being passed around!)
Old 08-26-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Songs View Post
How many of you are going to get onto a plane if the pilot is high (metaphorically rather than literally of course)?
How many of us do you suppose have but didn't know it?
Old 08-26-2011, 07:31 PM
Silver Member

...the last guy who told me that pot helped him to think deeper and in a more focused and profound way had trouble giving me the right change when he delivered my pizza.

That being said, I am no stranger to the demon weed, and have my own thoughts about its use and abuse.

I used ot worry that if I smoked pot and felt that it improved my drumming that I would feel a need to smoke in order to play well. Luckily for me, that was not the case. I can't smoke enough pot to make my drumming sound good.

Barry
Old 08-26-2011, 07:47 PM

Hipshot's point about dealing with stage fright is a good one I think. A couple of years ago I played with a pro classical musician (he played French Horn with a well known city philharmonic orchestra). He admitted that drug use amongst the classical players was commonplace - alcohol of course but increasingly beta-blockers.

The problem is that drug use to deal with stage fright is too easily overdone. Look at some of Amy Winehouse's later performances (they are all on YouTube) and some of Paulo Nutini's.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Silver Member

I use cannibus to make household chores more enjoyable.

A little toke and I am all fired up to do dishes, vacuum, clean the garage,
mow the lawn etc...

It is also really fun while detailing/Tuning the kit.

I would definately say it helps my performance in these tasks as I can really get into it.

It makes things that are normally a chore seem not so bad after all.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:21 PM
"Uncle Larry"

For a guy like me, alcohol just plain does not agree with me. I don't like how it dulls me. It's WAY too strong of a drug for me. It messes with my coordination and motor skills and makes me dumber I think. Caffeine makes me nervous and jittery, I don't like how it makes me feel. I absolutely detest any tobacco product, and hard drugs like heroin and meth are just out of the question, too powerful and personality changing. I never liked cocaine. I tried it probably 100 times and I came to the conclusion that I really don't like anything about it, I would get ultra introverted, the opposite of what most folks experience. Hallucinogens are also out, of course. Too dangerous.

My system can easily handle cannabis. There is no hangover, it doesn't mess with my motor skills or timing or coordination, I don't say things that I regret later, and it's the only thing I can handle. Plus, TBH, I like it. It agrees with me and it relieves stress, which is worth it for me. I quit for 10 full years once (to support my then wife who was quitting alcohol) after doing it for 20. Nothing to it, no withdrawl, nothing. I did have few bizarre dreams in the first week. It is the sanest choice among all the conscious altering substances available. For me. I tend to be a little over the top when I'm completely straight, more easily annoyed, shorter fuse, little patience. Cannabis relieves all of that for me. I would rather people do cannabis than alcohol any day of the week.

And anyone who professes that people who do cannabis are druggies, while sipping their vodka....are hypocrites. Alcohol is a much more powerful drug than cannabis, so anyone who drinks is a druggie too, like it or not. If this upsets you then you better take a good hard look at things and realize alcohol is most definitely a powerful and dangerous drug, and by drinking alcohol, that makes you a druggie too. It is most certainly a harder and much more dangerous drug than cannabis. Alcohol is poison, cannabis is actually medicinal. This "drugs and alcohol" label I see really brings out the fight in me. Like alcohol is different somehow. Grrrr...It's no different than mainlining heroin, based on how it affects your nervous system.

In all of mankinds history, there is not one recorded death attributed to cannabis. Not even 1. That alone is amazing. Aspirin kills more people.
So if you want to alter your conscious, there is no safer way to do it (except for being arrested) than with cannabis, that's just a fact.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

You will eventually realize that it is only your perception that changes when you are high.

When I was young, I went thru a phase where all music just sounded better when was a bit high on pot. The drug simply alters your brain in a few specific ways. It doesn't make you a more proficient drummer.

It might relieve the boredom of practicing though :)

Quote:
Playing the drums requires more concentration, coordination and skill than flying a plane.
Are you high now?

Quote:
How many of you are going to get onto a plane if the pilot is high (

I'd rather have a high pilot than a drummer flying the plane :)

And.....I am new to this forum but I hope that it's not moderated so tightly that a simple discussion like this would be supressed. There are valid points on all sides of the issue and have been expressed in a respectful way.

Last edited by New Tricks; 08-26-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
For a guy like me, alcohol just plain does not agree with me. I don't like how it dulls me. It's WAY too strong of a drug for me. It messes with my coordination and motor skills and makes me dumber I think. Caffeine makes me nervous and jittery, I don't like how it makes me feel. I absolutely detest any tobacco product, and hard drugs like heroin and meth are just out of the question, too powerful and personality changing. I never liked cocaine. I tried it probably 100 times and I came to the conclusion that I really don't like anything about it, I would get ultra introverted, the opposite of what most folks experience. Hallucinogens are also out, of course. Too dangerous.

My system can easily handle cannabis. There is no hangover, it doesn't mess with my motor skills or timing or coordination, I don't say things that I regret later, and it's the only thing I can handle. Plus, TBH, I like it. It agrees with me and it relieves stress, which is worth it for me. I quit for 10 full years once (to support my then wife who was quitting alcohol) after doing it for 20. Nothing to it, no withdrawl, nothing. I did have few bizarre dreams in the first week. It is the sanest choice among all the conscious altering substances available. For me. I tend to be a little over the top when I'm completely straight, more easily annoyed, shorter fuse, little patience. Cannabis relieves all of that for me. I would rather people do cannabis than alcohol any day of the week.

And anyone who professes that people who do cannabis are druggies, while sipping their vodka....are hypocrites. Alcohol is a much more powerful drug than cannabis, so anyone who drinks is a druggie too, like it or not. If this upsets you then you better take a good hard look at things and realize alcohol is most definitely a powerful and dangerous drug, and by drinking alcohol, that makes you a druggie too. It is most certainly a harder and much more dangerous drug than cannabis. Alcohol is poison, cannabis is actually medicinal. This "drugs and alcohol" label I see really brings out the fight in me. Like alcohol is different somehow. Grrrr...It's no different than mainlining heroin, based on how it affects your nervous system.

In all of mankinds history, there is not one recorded death attributed to cannabis. Not even 1. That alone is amazing. Aspirin kills more people.
So if you want to alter your conscious, there is no safer way to do it (except for being arrested) than with cannabis, that's just a fact.
Hmm I find myself agreeing with you a lot lately Larry! Maybe I should just sit and +1 your posts all day. After seeing what alcohol does on a Friday and Saturday night here, and at matches of a very popular game (that I'm not into) I wholeheartedly agree that alcohol is much more dangerous. So here goes again:

+1
Old 08-26-2011, 08:54 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I don't think alcohol should be illegal, that didn't work. Some people really like/crave the alcohol high. Which is fine. I just get mad that I have to skulk around in alleys so I don't get arrested, doing something that never in the history of mankind, has ever hurt anyone.

The real reason cannabis is illegal is to protect the profits of:

Big Pharma
Big Tobacco
Big Alcohol
Big Chemical
Big Oil
Big Lumber
The Prison System and the Legal System
The drug testing industry

I could go on...

Legalizing cannabis would topple all these industries in the space of 2 decades. It's THE most useful plant known to man, and the big corporations who run this planet are scared to death of it being legal. That is why America tries to get other countries to ban it too. They want to eradicate mankind's most beneficial plant to protect the profits of the big corporations, at the expense of the health of the people and the planet. Criminal scumbag governments.

We need to go to a plant based economy as opposed to an oil based economy. With cannabis replacing everything the majors produce. Medicine, wood, fuel, fiber, intoxicants, food...With vastly superior and planet friendly solutions. But with the power the big corps have, it won't happen. They will never go for it, federally at least.

Last edited by larryace; 08-26-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Tricks View Post

Quote:
Are you high now?

Quote:
How many of you are going to get onto a plane if the pilot is high
I'd rather have a high pilot than a drummer flying the plane :)
rofl. i almost spit water all over my monitor... well done.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
...I just get mad that I have to skulk around in alleys so I don't get arrested, doing something that never in the history of mankind, has ever hurt anyone...We need to go to a plant based economy as opposed to an oil based economy. But with the power the big corps have, it won't happen. They will never go for it, federally at least.
My wife's doctor has prescribed THC for her chronic pain since having a stroke, with accompanying neural damage, several years ago. (She's literally half blind as a result of it - the stroke, not the prescription.)

Medical marijuana is legal in Washington State, but it's a very half-hearted situation, with huge holes/conflicts in the laws. Examples:

Although he can prescribe, he can't sell or even specifically refer her to a reliable dispensary.

The dispensaries can sell, but they can't grow.

The dispensaries can only take cash because merchant credit companies are afraid to be involved in the business.

The dispensaries are legal, but most of those who run them have found that when they turn to law enforcement for help they end up being treated as suspects instead of victims.

My wife can legally possess marijuna, but if stopped she has to prove that she bought it from a legal dispensary and not off the street. (As opposed to whomever stops her having to prove she bought it illegally.)

My wife can legally possess legally purchased marijuana, but I can get busted for being with her while she does. Or for being the one who brings her to the dispensary where she buys.

And on and on.

Yep, Big Tobacco and Big Booze want to keep cannabis outlawed, but as long as its usage is presented and accepted by far too many people as a moral issue (with the usage being immoral), they'll end up with the backing of the general public at every turn.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah..I'm with Bermuda on this one.I think if you practice or play stoned...its recreation,and recreation only.I can't see weed as the the musicians performance steroid.It does alter perseption to a point that you THINK your Buddy Rich(his smoking weed is for another thread),but in truth,more like Meg White.(Not getting on her case,but you can understand the performance disparity)

It may even enhance creativity,but the only way to know is to record yourself,sober,and stoned.Do the exact same exercise,or play the exact same piece,and let the tale of the tape be the judge,because it dosen't lie.

So if you like to get high and play...thats cool,but don't think it will make you better.The only thing that will do that.....is you,time and practice.

Steve B
Old 08-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I don't think alcohol should be illegal, that didn't work. Some people really like/crave the alcohol high. Which is fine. I just get mad that I have to skulk around in alleys so I don't get arrested, doing something that never in the history of mankind, has ever hurt anyone.

The real reason cannabis is illegal is to protect the profits of:

Big Pharma
Big Tobacco
Big Alcohol
Big Chemical
Big Oil
Big Lumber
The Prison System and the Legal System
The drug testing industry

I could go on...

Legalizing cannabis would topple all these industries in the space of 2 decades. It's THE most useful plant known to man, and the big corporations who run this planet are scared to death of it being legal. That is why America tries to get other countries to ban it too. They want to eradicate mankind's most beneficial plant to protect the profits of the big corporations, at the expense of the health of the people and the planet. Criminal scumbag governments.

We need to go to a plant based economy as opposed to an oil based economy. With cannabis replacing everything the majors produce. Medicine, wood, fuel, fiber, intoxicants, food...With vastly superior and planet friendly solutions. But with the power the big corps have, it won't happen. They will never go for it, federally at least.
How many people go out smoke up come home and beat their wife, or start fights in public and kill people in fast moving objects (cars) some one who smokes pot more likely to come home and ask his wife/girlfriend, were are the cheerios or lets get it on. I don't smoke up, or drink anymore, 23 yrs sober. Thats my view from my experience.

http://www.youtube.com/user/slfsc
Old 08-26-2011, 10:04 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I thought for sure my generation would have legalized it by now but the profits of big corporations have extremely far reaching powers.

You used to be able to pay your taxes in America for close to TWO HUNDRED YEARS with hemp fiber. Colonists got fined if they did NOT grow it, young America needed it for it's Navy. It was re-legalized in the 40's for the war effort because our supply of fiber from Manilla was cut off.

Dupont, Mellon and Hearst had their hands in the outlawing. Harry Anslinger was the nephew in law of Andrew Mellon. (Duponts banker) Andrew Mellon was Secretary of the Treasury at the time. Anslinger was appointed a new government position with the main thrust of keeping hemp illegal, at any cost. Dupont knew hemp would ruin their oil based technologies. Hearst knew it would put his vast timber holdings in peril. Dupont had direct influence on government policy, through Mellon, and they used it to orchestrate the biggest national brainwashing experiment to date, despite eloquent testimonies of the American Medical Association and others. With the help of Hearst's yellow journalism in his newspapers, and movies like Reefer Madness...the country sucked it right up. That was a time when Americans trusted their government and believed everything they were told by them. The brainwashing scheme worked wonderfully, even 74 years later people are still influenced by it, not good.

The year it got outlawed was the year that a machine was invented that would do for cannabis what the cotton gin did for cotton. Dupont was well aware that this plant could put them out of business, and squashed it with back room deals designed to protect the interest of a few at the expense of everyone else.

Read Jack Herer's book, "The Emporer Wears No Clothes" for any fact you need regarding cannabis. It's free to read here:

http://www.jackherer.com/thebook/

Last edited by larryace; 08-27-2011 at 05:55 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:23 PM

Speaking of drugs, here's the best thing I've read all day:

http://tinyurl.com/3dcvob5
Old 08-26-2011, 10:56 PM

I saw an old video of Tommy Lee doing a drum solo last week, and he was so stoned he absolutely sucked. While he probably wasnt high from weed, he was still high and it was absolutely horrible. I compared it to my little brother (8 y/o) playing the drums lol. Just something to think about

Last edited by Rock Drummer; 08-28-2011 at 03:34 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:05 PM
sticks4drums

The fact that Alcohol, Cigarettes and Gambling are all legal and the government collects money from them, yet Mary Jane is illegal, is a complete joke, and totally hypocritical. I don't do any of them now because I have enough problems mentally without them as most of you already know. :)
Old 08-26-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Songs View Post

Have you ever flown a plane? I'm a private pilot and drummer. Landing a plane requires some pretty crazy coordination with hands, feet, eyes, brain....

But yeah, not getting into a plane with a stoned pilot.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:24 AM
Gold Member

I've personally never been in a situation that involved both weed and drums, but the very first time I got drunk (maybe overly-tispy would be a better discription), I was with my band at our practice space. I had a hell of a time trying to play cause I couldn't stay on my damn seat! Since then, I've never really had a desire to combine the two again.

The only piece of advice I can give is to make sure that you are control of it (not the other way around). And I guess that can apply to anything in life.

-Jonathan

and a like facebook.com/tylordorytrio
Old 08-27-2011, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post

Whether it's right, wrong or indifferent, I'm not here to debate. I couldn't care less. But so, so many of them certainly had musicality, creativity, emotion and technique in spades. Check your record collection and try and find the artists who were clean.....as I said before, it makes for some light reading.
Like I said, Name me a musician that PLAYED BETTER WHILE HIGH As Opposed to being sober.

I realize alot of musicians do drugs ect. But can you name one that PLAYED BETTER WHILE HIGH?

On the other hand, can you name some musicians that played better While Sober?

I think we all know who the majority is...
Old 08-27-2011, 03:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Like I said, Name me a musician that PLAYED BETTER WHILE HIGH As Opposed to being sober.
Perhaps not "better" but they certainly didn't play any worse. Nor did a haze of alcohol or substance abuse stifle the creativity of the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, David Bowie, John Bonham, Keith Moon, Stevie Nicks, Slash, John Frusciante, Anthony Keidis, Kurt Cobain.....the list goes on and on. In fact, many of the mentioned artists fineset work was created whilst under the influence. Sad but true.

And in referance to Bermuda's question earlier....yes, many of them wrote, performed and recorded whilst high or drunk. There is just too much evidence - often self confession from these various artists themselves - to suggest otherwise.

EDIT: Guys, I don't want it sound sound like I'm being annoyingly argumentative here because I understand the crux of where you're coming from.....really, I do. It's just that I have to give at least some credence to so much evidence that suggests otherwise too. I'm not trying to assert an opinion. I'm merely observing a fact. :-)

Last edited by Pocket-full-of-gold; 08-27-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Metallica?

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 08-27-2011, 03:47 AM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
Metallica?

How do you know though because they probably never played sober. :)
Old 08-27-2011, 04:22 AM
Platinum Member

Larry, you are awesome! I especially enjoyed the comment that, if people who smoke pot are "druggies" then those who use alcohol are "druggies" too. Also the Big Pharma and Big Alcohol etc observations. It's all right on the money.

Having said that, pot not only adversely affects my timing while I'm high, it also affects my timing if I smoke too much generally. I think the ideal use is between once a fortnight and once a month, or very small amounts to make chores like housework less dull.

Hipshot was spot on re: stage fright. I've dealt with anxiety issues all my life to the point where it made performance-as-career a non-option ... nervousness has often badly affected my playing - even at band practice or even practice at home at times. Crazy but true. I was in denial about it for a long time because it was embarrassing. In fact, I find this admission a bit embarrassing now ... but there it is. Some days are better than others.

Many years ago I had "something" before a gig and everything was suddenly incredibly easy! The feedback from the band and its followers was good too, so it wasn't just me. I never did it again because I knew where it would lead ...

Having said that, I've seen Bermuda get up in front of thousands of people and nail it from bar one with only Indian food in his system (admittedly, it was a very good curry). If you're well trained enough for what you're doing, well prepared enough, organised and have a grounded view of things then playing in front of a lot of people shouldn't be an issue if that's your vocation. Just another day on the job - if the coolest job there is.

Of course, many creative people are not very grounded, hence the long history of drug use and abuse (with alcohol being the main one) by artists.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:35 AM

Quote:

I realize alot of musicians do drugs ect. But can you name one that PLAYED BETTER WHILE HIGH?

On the other hand, can you name some musicians that played better While Sober
My take - which I'm sticking to - is that we'll never know which musicians played better while sober because most of those who played so well when they were high never took to the stage in any other condition. They couldn't.

As a fan I'm grateful that they found whatever it took to give them the courage to expose their souls - I mean perform. As a human being I'm sorry, sorry, sorry that they had to go through that.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipshotPercussion View Post
As a fan I'm grateful that they found whatever it took to give them the courage to expose their souls - I mean perform. As a human being I'm sorry, sorry, sorry that they had to go through that.
I know what you mean, Hipshot.

Having said that, as a human, I'm very happy for them (and wildly jealous) that they were/are playing music for a living rather than cramming in with other sardine commuters to be tied to an office from 9 to 5.

Swings and roundabouts ...
Old 08-27-2011, 06:06 AM
"Uncle Larry"

"it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person".

Matthew 15:11
Old 08-27-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
"it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person".

Matthew 15:11
Oh boy, here we go. Talk about out of context...
Old 08-27-2011, 06:28 AM
Rebel

What do you do when the day is blue...sex and drums and rock n´ roll... ;-)