Why don't they make...

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
Here's your chance to dream up stuff that isn't here yet. Or just humor me.

Like just today I thought that they could make a double pedal where the slave pedal isn't connected by mechanical linkage. I'm imagining a system where the slave pedal would send a signal down say a fiber optic cable that, depending on how hard you hit the slave, would match the force entered by the slave to the slave beater on the master pedal. With zero latency. I would accomplish that by utilizing 2 "electromagnets inside the master pedal that either repel or attract each other at a speed
that depends on the amount of current introduced. Which is regulated by the user.

Obviously this needs electric.

I also imagine a tuning system using electromagnets. Just turn the batter or reso dial on the drum and the head is perfectly tensioned all the way around through magnetic attraction. No lugs or rods. Just an electromagnet an inch down from the bearing edge, all the way around the shell, top and bottom. The ferrous hoop would pull the head over the bearing edge as it tries to travel towards the magnet. No more drum dials, reso-tunes, tune bots or rattles. The drum would be lighter with little to no holes in the shell. Head changes would be stupid easy. Rack toms get their power from the tom tree so you don't see wires hanging down. Snares get their power from the snare stand. Floor tom tom tom tom tom toms get their power from the legs :) There would be some problems to solve, but it could work.

Like just today I thought that they could make a double pedal where the slave pedal isn't connected by mechanical linkage. I'm imagining a system where the slave pedal would send a signal down say a fiber optic cable that, depending on how hard you hit the slave, would match the force entered by the slave to the slave beater on the master pedal. With zero latency. I would accomplish that by utilizing 2 "electromagnets inside the master pedal that either repel or attract each other at a speed
that depends on the amount of current introduced. Which is regulated by the user.

I also imagine a tuning system using electromagnets. Just turn the batter or reso dial on the drum and the head is perfectly tensioned all the way around through magnetic attraction. No lugs or rods. Just an electromagnet an inch down from the bearing edge, all the way around the shell, top and bottom. The ferrous hoop would pull the head over the bearing edge as it tries to travel towards the magnet. No more drum dials, reso-tunes, tune bots or rattles. The drum would be lighter with little to no holes in the shell. Head changes would be stupid easy. Rack toms get their power from the tom tree so you don't see wires hanging down. Snares get their power from the snare stand. Floor tom tom tom tom tom toms get their power from the legs :) There would be some problems to solve, but it could work.

Your pedal idea might be feasible. Honda has an electric assist power steering that works similarly. Input from the steering wheel sends an electronic signal to a servo (?) that helps turn the wheels. No latency. Similar idea.

I'm reinventing a single pedal-a "bio"mechanical pedal-with an organic component. It's based on the turkey leg mechanics. I was drawing some ideas last night oddly enough. Maybe it's some kind of collective conscious effect and I'm sucking on the brains of others. Feeling light headed Larry?

(I made a new paragraph just for you Lar my friend)
I remember dating this witch (not looks but belief) she was also a vampire (not a blood sucker but she said she sucked peoples spiritual essence or some such nonsense). In refection I think she sucked my brains out since I was temporarily blinded-but I was horny in my defense (so my head wasn't in the right place-I was confused).

Drum sticks that make me play like Tommy Igoe.

Come on, Vic Firth. What are you guys waiting for?

...ok these are 2 unimaginative responses.
1. Why don't they make more drums out of kapur? It seems as common in SE Asia as luan but has a different sound and quality, and yet only appears on very few drums and drum sets (Yamaha Club Custom, a few limited run Pearl and Tama snares).

2. Why don't they make drum pedals that breakdown easier and more compact further for transport. You know, sliding, removable footboards and base plates, a locking mechanism for the beater that does not require a drum key.

A second bass drum would be cheaper. But I think that's been done before.

How about a frame, adjustable of course, that sits on the drum and allows you to turn all the tension rods at once from a single point. Like each end of the frame has a key end that sits on the rod, and a single rod in the center that operates the ones at the ends of the frame. So you turn one, it turns them all accordingly.

Collapsible shells.....

Remember those collapsible "camping cups"-like three concentric sections that could be pulled apart to form a cup?

Yea, something like that. Stack a five piece kit together into a 20"x20"x12" deep box....

How about a frame, adjustable of course, that sits on the drum and allows you to turn all the tension rods at once from a single point. Like each end of the frame has a key end that sits on the rod, and a single rod in the center that operates the ones at the ends of the frame. So you turn one, it turns them all accordingly.

Already done. Not quite the way you describe, but the idea where you turn all the rods at once has been done already. I can't find the vid now, but if I do I'll post a link.

Already done. Not quite the way you describe, but the idea where you turn all the rods at once has been done already. I can't find the vid now, but if I do I'll post a link.

Something tells me that it probably wasn't a very good idea then!

Collapsible shells.....

Remember those collapsible "camping cups"-like three concentric sections that could be pulled apart to form a cup?

Yea, something like that. Stack a five piece kit together into a 20"x20"x12" deep box....

I remember the collapsible cups, nice memory, thanks.

TBH, I'd rather see shells (seashells) that are split radially, and hinged with a locking mechanism similar to a tool box closing mechanism, so it can have 2 heads, and will hold smaller drums.

Here's another idea I had. Instead of a suspended rack system in the middle of the kit, the rack part goes on the floor, and stands with no legs come straight up from there.

WOW. What a bunch of ideas. I'd like a cap with electrodes that transmits your thoughts on playing to your arms, legs and comes out exactly the way you think you should play a song. No mistakes. No practice. AND....NO talent. JW

I remember the collapsible cups, nice memory, thanks.

TBH, I'd rather see shells (seashells) that are split radially, and hinged with a locking mechanism similar to a tool box closing mechanism, so it can have 2 heads, and will hold smaller drums.

Here's another idea I had. Instead of a suspended rack system in the middle of the kit, the rack part goes on the floor, and stands with no legs come straight up from there.

Two heads....?

9"x12" tom-

3" top with lugs and head
3" middle linking section
3" bottom woth lugs and head

Collapsed size-6" x 12"?

Probably not worth it....lol

Well after I'm famous for inventing the Turkey Leg Drum pedal and get my Nobel Prize you can all say you knew me before I got famous. I'll dress up like Col Sanders to sell my wares. Next The Turkey Drum Stick-copyright pending LOL.

Two heads....?

9"x12" tom-

3" top with lugs and head
3" middle linking section
3" bottom woth lugs and head

Collapsed size-6" x 12"?

Probably not worth it....lol

Well not collapsible drums, but nesting drums.

10" fits in 12" which fits in 16" which fits in 22". Bass drum has backpack straps. Snare drum sold separately.

I heard a homemade 1 headed nesting kit last night. Really fine drummer too, and the rest of the band were highly skilled musicians with wonderful feel. They sounded so good, but the drum sound was a notch above pitiful. It held the entire band sound back IMO. Stupid 1 headed toms. The bass drum was about 6" deep, 1 head. Plus there were towels covering the toms. Whatever, his kit his rules.

Drummer diapers for those that play in bands that take no breaks. Two hour long sets and IBS no longer a problem. You could just relabel them as guitarist diapers, keyboardist diapers, or vocalist diapers and make money off them too.

A drumstick ejector that attaches to your arm like James West's derringer gizmo he had up his sleeve in the Wild, Wild, West television series. Break a stick? Just twist the arm and one pops out.

Recliner thrones. Singer wants to do that song that everyone plays on except the drummer? Just lay back and take a quick nap while he showboats.

Just trying to do my part for mankind.

Drummer diapers for those that play in bands that take no breaks. Two hour long sets and IBS no longer a problem. You could just relabel them as guitarist diapers, keyboardist diapers, or vocalist diapers and make money off them too.

A drumstick ejector that attaches to your arm like James West's derringer gizmo he had up his sleeve in the Wild, Wild, West television series. Break a stick? Just twist the arm and one pops out.

Recliner thrones. Singer wants to do that song that everyone plays on except the drummer? Just lay back and take a quick nap while he showboats.

Just trying to do my part for mankind.

Thank you for your most excellent contribution. You inspired these items:

Toilet thrones.

The James West thing I can't improve upon, that's brilliant.

Recliner toilet thrones. With a kegerator underneath. And vaping capability.

Back