Mapex Meridian Maple Heads

kafou

Hi,

I just bought a Mapex Meridian Maple and want to change the heads. For the batter side is it better the G1 coated or G2 coated? I'm pretty new to drumming so I have no idea what is better for this drum. Also, will it be a huge improvement in sound if I change the reso heads?

Thanks

Kafou

I think you'll notice a pretty solid increase in sound by replacing both heads.

There isn't really any "better" head, just different heads. The G2s will be a bit lower pitched, have a bit less sustain, and be a little thicker (tonewise). The G1s will be... well, the opposite. I would personally go for something in-between like coated G12s on rack toms and G14s on floor toms, as I generally like single-ply batter heads better.

I think you'll notice a pretty solid increase in sound by replacing both heads.

There isn't really any "better" head, just different heads. The G2s will be a bit lower pitched, have a bit less sustain, and be a little thicker (tonewise). The G1s will be... well, the opposite. I would personally go for something in-between like coated G12s on rack toms and G14s on floor toms, as I generally like single-ply batter heads better.

That's seem to be a good idea and G1 for the reso heads I presume. For the snare is G1 the better choice?

Again, I wouldn't think "better" only "different."

I've used everything from a 7-mil single ply to a 20-mil two ply depending on the drum and the sound I wanted. Add in dots, dry vents, and edge rings, plus Zero Rings and Moongel and it's easy to see that there is no one "best" snare drum head. You have to decide what kind of sound you want, and pick the head that will get you closest.

A coated G1 or G12 is a good head to start with, as it won't "color" the basic sound of the drum itself too much. Most drummers that choose a 2-ply head do so for either durability and/or beefing up the tone. Even though I usually prefer 1-ply heads on metal snares and 2-ply on wood snares I've currently running the exact opposite and I'm really liking what I'm hearing. Today, anyway. In a month I'll probably be trying something completely different.

Since you seem to prefer Evans I'd strongly recommend listening to the sound samples they have on their site to help find the sound you're looking for.

When you go to the store, take the head out of the box and tap it in the center. Try the different heads of the same size and you'll get a first hand experience of what attributes each head has. If you give us an idea of what sound you are going for, better recommendations can be made.

Ok, so here my plan,

For the toms: G12 coated batter and G1 clear reso.
For the snare: Ambassador coated and Evans Hazy 300 with Puresound custom pro brass 20 strand.

Do you think that this will be a good kit for my drum?

Thanks

Kafou

Hi,

I have a gift certificate from a store that don't have G12, so I have the choice of G1 or G2 coated, what I am better to buy? They have also the Ambassador X but that was not on my list because of the less durable coating but if this is the best choice of the 3 I can probably live with this.

What do you think?

Thanks

Kafou

No comment about this?

The more that I read the more that the combo G2 coated on G1 clear is the way to go but something in between like G12 seem a good idea. Will I hear that much difference between G2 and G1 after tuning?

Back