Sound Clips of Highwood snare and Kit.

Calummordue

Hey Guys,

I got a Mic :) Its a Yamaha YM70s. I know is a vocal mic but it was on sale and as it is dynamic it can be used on the snare and toms :).

Here are some sound files of My Highwood Snare and Tama Superstar HyperDrive.

Running order -
Snare
12" Tom
14" Floor Tom
16" Floor Tom
Kick.

4097859147_e1f3b50286_b.jpg

Attachments

• Snare, Tom, Floor(2) and Kick.mp3
    2.1 MB · Views: 323
The kit shows great promise. The snare has a nice pop with some audible body. The floors sound good but your tuning isn't the same method for both. The one with the roll off has the batter tuned to a different pitch to the reso. The kick has some body but's as dead as hell. What are you using for dampening? Maybe that's how you want it to sound (quite typical modern produced sound) but I'd be tempted to open it up a fair bit. You'd get more sub that way. I suspect the room is very dead. That won't help. With a bit of tweaking, I'm sure you'll have a great sounding kit.

I noticed two things. One the snare sounds way muffled with no ring or resonance to it.
And the snare wires seem to be way to tight. Loosen everything up a bit and let that drum sing.

I noticed two things. One the snare sounds way muffled with no ring or resonance to it.
And the snare wires seem to be way to tight. Loosen everything up a bit and let that drum sing.

I agree. You might as well have a CB snare if it's all just muffled down to the hilt. Also i'm not surprised you've got the snares on too tight. When i got my snare drum with a high quality throw-off i didn't think the drum was sensitive enough because i was used to having a throw off that couldn't tighten up very far so i assumed it wasn't tight enough when in actual fact it was too tight by far.

i have no muffling on the snare....
Also the the snares are only "tight" beacuse i don't like the snare buzz from toms.

i have no muffling on the snare....
Also the the snares are only "tight" beacuse i don't like the snare buzz from toms.

you should be able to hear the snares buzz from all dynamic ranges from a soft as you can play to as loud as you can play. I know the buzz from the toms can be annoying when you are playing by yourself, but as soon as you are playing with other musicians you won't notice the buzz.

I have a drum that I think is very similar to your highwood, it's a 6 1/2" x 14" c&c custom (keller shells 9 ply maple) with a trick throwoff, and puresound blasters snare wires. It is extremely sensitive to buzzing from the toms, the bass player, even the vocal monitors. I had to tune out alot of the buzz, while still keeping a nice snare sound. I will try to get up to the studio sometime in the next week and make a recording of my snare.

check out these tips for eliminating snare buzz
http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/id8.html

Back