My favorite sticks

My very favorite sticks were custom-made for me by my boss, out of Pao Ferro wood. a beautiful, dark, heavy wood. The template was a Zildjian 7A, but they were 2-3 times heavier, with a wonderful, smooth finish, and wore very well, They weren't weight-matched (after all, they were made by a civil engineer on a lathe in his basement!), but that never bothered me. They felt absolutely right in every respect. The only downside was that they left dark brown marks on the drumheads.
Unfortunately, after a couple of months of heavy (for me) hitting, one of them split (my very first broken stick!) ... I'm waiting for my boss to get the 'woodworking bug' again, and make me some more.
The Zildjian 7A's are a perfect fit for me, but I prefer a heavier weight. I tried the 'anti-vibe' version, and liked the feel, but again too light and they didn't wear well ... after just a week they looked like beavers had been at them!

as i said before :

Vic Firth sd2 bolero

i really love that drumstick, so... perfect balance and perfect grip (i have small hands)
VicFBolero.jpg

My favourite sticks:

Vic Firth Steve Gadd sigs (When I want to rimshot, seeing as I just put my old snare on my electronic kit)

Vic Firth 7A - Very lively sticks.

Regal Tip 7A - Very hard to use, but a very good feel.

Oh and Wega, I probably have smaller hands than you :p

Vic Firth 5B Nylon. The nylon sticks have the tip shrunk on now, no more glue. The tip is almost Garaunteed to last the life of the stick. The nylon sounds good on washy cymbals. For wood tipped sticks, I enjoy Vater Chad Smith Funk Blaster model. Its basically a 5B with a beefier tip. They have good power and definition.

at the moment i'm using pro-mark 5b's with a nylon tip. they seem to be pretty durable, but i'm no expert. they are a lot softer than the tre cool signature sticks i was using before, so less blisters. are the travis barker ones any good?

I'm currently using PRO MARK ROCK sticks. i like them very much and they wear decently not as bad as some Vic Firths i've played.

ewanlaing said:
at the moment i'm using pro-mark 5b's with a nylon tip. they seem to be pretty durable, but i'm no expert. they are a lot softer than the tre cool signature sticks i was using before, so less blisters. are the travis barker ones any good?

Theyre ok. A bit too big for my liking, but light (for thier size), and they sure look cool!

i like the Harvey Mason signature sticks. They are exactly the thickness and weight that i was looking for. i just fell in love. the best sticks ever

Jason Dorn said:
Vic Firth 5b's I love em but the tips dont last.

I have to agree. I bought a brick of them in December and am down to 3 pairs because of that. I am also in a ska band and the shaft just below the tips wears very bad on the hi hat. If someone knows sticks that have nylon tips, preferably a reinforced "below the tip part", and maybe a reinforced rimshot area that arent too heavy, please contact me. Oh yeah those would be my favorite sticks if someone could find them. Thanks,

Rob

Back