Video of '70s Zildjian 15" Hi-Hats (light weight)

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Just picked these up yesterday. They were advertised at Guitar Center as '60s hats, but fine folks here on DW pointed out that the stamp was the "thin '70s" stamp. Luckily, I don't think I overpaid and they sound really nice.

I don't have a scale to check the weight, but they are both roughly the same weight and NOT heavy at all.

Let me know what you think of the tone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESLNYUo5ZQQ

Chris

Those are really, really nice.

I've found that with thinner hi hats that foot pressure is critical when playing them closed. Too tight and they choke, too loose and they slop around too much. I'm just curious about what these are like. They sound great on the video.

Those are really, really nice.

I've found that with thinner hi hats that foot pressure is critical when playing them closed. Too tight and they choke, too loose and they slop around too much. I'm just curious about what these are like. They sound great on the video.

Thanks! I agree with you about how sensitive thinner hats are to foot pressure. For example, the heavier modern new beats I recently sold couldnt be easily choked with a heavy foot!

Ive realized the past year or so that I really like thin cymbals. Im not a basher, even when playing hard rock in my original band, so I never worry about breaking anything. I just like the way thinner cymbals are darker and more pleasing to my ears. And i LOVE how responsive they are to the stick.

Playing thinner cymbals is an art in itself. I've seen so many people give up because they demand instant gratification with their cymbals - they hit it, it makes the sound they want. Thin cymbals have so much to offer in tonal variety but they take some time and patience! Hi hats and rides especially. I really do like those hats. They sound like they have very little tension.

Playing thinner cymbals is an art in itself. I've seen so many people give up because they demand instant gratification with their cymbals - they hit it, it makes the sound they want. Thin cymbals have so much to offer in tonal variety but they take some time and patience! Hi hats and rides especially. I really do like those hats. They sound like they have very little tension.

Thanks man! I especially avree with you on thin rides. I had a very thin dream bliss 20" ride that had tons of wash and was easily crashable. It was weied at first, but I really got to like it! I now have a dream 24" ride that can sound like a runaway freight train, but man its fun to play! Not quitw enough ping for the band, which is too bad!

On the flip side, I have a Paiste 2002 22" Power Ride that heavy and super pingy! So much that I no longer like playing it.

I like 'em. Very sizzly.

Would you say thinner hats aren't as loud when played with the foot pedal? (foot chick)

I like 'em. Very sizzly.

Would you say thinner hats aren't as loud when played with the foot pedal? (foot chick)

Yeah, I'd definitely say that. I'd say thinner hats aren't as loud all around. To me, they have a softer tone, but also feel better under the stick. More sensitive or something.

I'm figuring out pretty quickly that in general, I like thinner hats over the heavier hats like New Beats and stuff. I would like to try the newly redesigned New Beats, though.

I also like 15" hats better for the lower pitch and more pleasing tone (to my ears.)

I think you got yourself a really great sounding vintage set of hats there Sarge. Nice score.

Now that you've got the Giant Beats for comparison, which do you prefer?

I know you said you don't have scales, but which seems heavier to you?

They both sound awesome to me, BTW.

Now that you've got the Giant Beats for comparison, which do you prefer?

I know you said you don't have scales, but which seems heavier to you?

They both sound awesome to me, BTW.

I need to set them up side-by-side, which I haven't done yet. But going from memory, I'd say the Zildjians are warmer with less "cut" than the Giant Beats. I also think the Zildjians are lighter.

I've been playing nothing but the new Giant Beats for a week now. The honeymoon phase rocks! ha ha

Thanks man.

I actually just posted these for sale on the local CraigsList and in the classfieds post in the "General Discussion" section of DrummerWorld.

Why? Because I'm weird. I build up, then purge. Love to try different things, but don't like to stockpile stuff, so I move it quite a bit.

These are cool hats for sure. I listed them at $250, but I got them for $200. That just allows wiggle room for someone to talk me down.

Would sell for $200 + shipping to a fellow DW member.

As a point of reference for me,how does the weight of those hats compare to your Giant Beats?

As a point of reference for me,how does the weight of those hats compare to your Giant Beats?

They are lighter in weight than the Giant Beats. Well, the bottom one is anyway. They are like putting two lighter weight tops together.

They're darker than the Giant Beats and smoother.

Back