[SNARE TEST] Home Made PEAR TREE Stave Snare

daniboun

Hi amigos,

Let me share my French project. I'm in the process of making a new Stave Snare in solid Pear Tree wood. I do not know how it's going to sound but this wood seems to be very interesting. For right now, only the shell has been made take a look here :

I'd go for a classic Tube lugs and a Gibraltar Deluxe strainer. For the hoops, I'm going to get some S hoops.

That shell looks beautiful! Love the look of pearwood. As you've crafted the shell quite thick, I think "S" hoops are a great choice. A nice combination of tuning accuracy & open/control.

Most fruit woods have a fairly bright character, but with nice lows too. In stave format, you can expect a fairly focused sound, but with a lot of life near the edge. Should be sensitive too. Any plans on the form of bearing edges you're considering? That will make a big difference to the character. I suggest a more rounded batter edge & sharp reso edge.

Good luck, & I look forward to the sound file/video :)

Thanks for the opinion.
I'll go for a double 45° rounded bearing edge. I won't use any snare bed.
I've been told that the Pear tree wood is a "soft" a stable wood, it has very good bass (as the African Mahogany wood). Anyways, I'll share some info when I finish. :)

My God that is nice looking wood. Not installing a snare bed, well I cant see that working out for you, all snares need a bed. I think you could of spent a little more time matching the staves so the grain would flow together to look more like a one piece shell, the way it is you cant miss the seams. It will still look great, be pretty hard to make that wood look bad.

My God that is nice looking wood. Not installing a snare bed, well I cant see that working out for you, all snares need a bed. I think you could of spent a little more time matching the staves so the grain would flow together to look more like a one piece shell, the way it is you cant miss the seams. It will still look great, be pretty hard to make that wood look bad.

OK, I will do my best :) I hope the final result is going to kick some ass !
I'll keep you posted when it is finished.

I have to concur with the snare bed thing. I would definitely want to see you cut one. We would love some sound clips, if you please. This could be the worlds first Pear wood drum. It's a very figured grain. Nice job.

I have to concur with the snare bed thing. I would definitely want to see you cut some. We would love some sound clips when you can, if you please. This could be the worlds first Pear snare. It's a very figured grain. Nice job.

I have to concur with the snare bed thing. I would definitely want to see you cut some. We would love some sound clips when you can, if you please. This could be the worlds first Pear snare. It's a very figured grain. Nice job.

Asap the snare is finished, I'll share some pictures.
Please note that the shell has been done by a friend of mine, I'm just helping him so congratulations are for that guy. The Pear tree came out from a French supplier and the hand job from my friend (ony the shell). I'm providing the hardware part only.

Anyways, I'm sure this is going to be a great snare :)

In the town that I live in there's a place called "Handjob", but apparently they only do women's nails and such everyday beauty procedures.

False advertising I say!

In the town that I live in there's a place called "Handjob", but apparently they only do women's nails and such everyday beauty procedures.

False advertising I say!

Your opinion indeed, if needed I can close the topic. No problem.
When I said the wood came from a French supplier, I'm just talking about the raw wood ! All the job, bearing, edge, cut, drilling, mounting process, varnish etc is hand made...

Your opinion indeed, if needed I can close the topic. No problem.
When I said the wood came from a French supplier, I'm just talking about the raw wood ! All the job, bearing, edge, cut, drilling, mounting process, varnish etc is hand made...
Noooo! Poika is referring to the the shop with the funny name - not you! You got that wrong :)

Great thread, great drum!

Haha no no no, I have nothing bad to say about your drum!!

I've done quite a bit of woodworking myself - not drums but furniture mostly - and that pear looks lovely!

Please keep us updated with the process, I love threads like these!

All good :)

Nice looking wood. But you have failed your french project by starting your post with Hi amigos . Maybe Bonjour mon ami would be better

Very dramatic wood! Also your staves look larger than normal, meaning less glue and processing. Never heard of making a drum from pear - why not? I have heard drums made of cherry and apple. Drums made of fruit tree woods would be a great collection.

If you do not stain this, I encourage you to put it in this thread, which collects photos and stories of natural finish drums: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73574

Very dramatic wood! Also your staves look larger than normal, meaning less glue and processing. Never heard of making a drum from pear - why not? I have heard drums made of cherry and apple. Drums made of fruit tree woods would be a great collection.

If you do not stain this, I encourage you to put it in this thread, which collects photos and stories of natural finish drums: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73574

Hi,

Snare still in process but check the final results in Pear Tree and Mahogany wood. This one was made by the same guy.
The Pear tree comes from Lorraine where Metz city (in France) is located.
The Mahogany is an African one.

Back