Microphone experts talk to me!

ryanlikealion

I've posted in this room because its only part drum related.

Heres what I'm after:

1. A bass drum mic - Is the AKG D112 the best?

2. A good condenser mic - Ideally one that double up as a drum overhead and also a live instument mic (for acoustic instruments such as banjo/bazouki/mandolin/fiddle)

3. A vocal/ snare mic - COULD AN SM 57 serve both purposes?

I have a budget of £350 which may be able to be stretched slightly

I've posted in this room because its only part drum related.

Heres what I'm after:

1. A bass drum mic - Is the AKG D112 the best?

2. A good condenser mic - Ideally one that double up as a drum overhead and also a live instument mic (for acoustic instruments such as banjo/bazouki/mandolin/fiddle)

3. A vocal/ snare mic - COULD AN SM 57 serve both purposes?

I have a budget of £350 which may be able to be stretched slightly

I'm partial to the Electro-Voice RE20 for bass drums (among other things). A good condenser you could use for alot of things would be one of those side-address mics. Studio Projects makes the C1 which is a good solid workhorse, but there's alot of them out there, BLU, for example, makes great mics and CAD....
SM57's rock - you can use those for alot of things.

Question is, what are you plugging them into? That has alot to do with how the microphone behaves more than you know.

Thanks for this.

The Electro voice sounds great but will be out of my budget - i'm looking to get all 3 mics within a budget of £320. Is the AKG d112 reasonably good, if not as great as the electro voice?

As for what i'm plugging them into. I'll mainly be using the bass mic for recording through a Yamaha 16 track mixer i think (i'm new to this.)

The condenser and SM57 will serve as drum recording mics and will also be plugged into various pa systems as i use them for voice/ folk instruments at gigs.

Thanks for this.

The Electro voice sounds great but will be out of my budget - i'm looking to get all 3 mics within a budget of £320. Is the AKG d112 reasonably good, if not as great as the electro voice?

Not sure which Yamaha console you're talking about, but if it makes you feel any better, I've gotten away with using SM57s and SM58s on everything. They don't call those workhorses for nothin'. In fact, I'm still using those two mics on everything today, with the exception of a couple of pencil condensers that hover over the hi-hat and overhead. I would try to think in general terms. Good mics that can do several things well would be a better investment because they're just not limited to the drums. I would think if you set yourself up with a budget PA, you'd be better served with getting a few SM57s because then your system is well-rounded. You might be able to make some extra money using your system for other things than your drums.

For your budget the shure PG set would work, but this is music shop semi pro gear.
If you up your budget by a couple hundred dollars, your preferences are great. SE4 condensers are cheap and sound great, as do the RODE NT 5's. Look for the SE's at cpc or Adam Hall.

Happy budgeting!!

I recommend the Rode NT-1A for an all-purpose condenser, they are great mics for the price.

Back