Honesty with your teacher?

Diet Kirk

Silver Member
I'm in the process of looking for a teacher. Is it ok to tell him/her that my ultimate goal is to teach?

Or is this considered bad form?

Why would it be bad form? No teacher of mine has ever been worried that I might steal their job, be it as a musician or as a teacher. If anything, telling your true goal would only inspire and motivate the teacher...

Why would it be bad form? No teacher of mine has ever been worried that I might steal their job, be it as a musician or as a teacher. If anything, telling your true goal would only inspire and motivate the teacher...

Thats what I was worried about the old "You little s*** you want me to teach you how to steal my clients!!!!!!"

your teacher will not be worried about you stealing his clients

I see the student/teacher relationship as mentor/protege ... Danielson and Miyagi

my lessons are never... ok take out your books... do this... do that... bla bla bla... ok see you next week....
we talk about life...I develop people...musicians ....we build confidence, not only musical confidence...we listen to music, all kinds, and talk about expression....we talk about doing well in school, respecting your parents , taking responsibility for their actions, we discuss understanding the art that came before us and what we can learn from it , we discuss risk and why and when we should take one and why and when we should not , we talk about what our bodies are capable of, understanding our limitations, and potential abilities , setting goals, I make sure they understand that joy is fuel, pain is fuel, success is fuel, failure is fuel , and that you have to use every bit of it ......

my students and I grow together as people.... so all I really want from them is honesty and desire

I give them their wings and send them from the nest , hopefully with the tools to bob and weave through this world confidently

I want my students to one day have the passion to perform and teach

I have former students who I call to sub on gigs and sub teach as well ... because I trust them

if they were not honest with me there would be no trust

I spend years with these people.... watch them become adults ... we become family

and I will do anything for family and wish nothing but success and happiness for them

I see the student/teacher relationship as mentor/protege ... Danielson and Miyagi

my lessons are never... ok take out your books... do this... do that... bla bla bla... ok see you next week....
we talk about life...I develop people...musicians ....we build confidence, not only musical confidence...we listen to music, all kinds, and talk about expression....we talk about doing well in school, respecting your parents , taking responsibility for their actions, we discuss understanding the art that came before us and what we can learn from it , we discuss risk and why and when we should take one and why and when we should not , we talk about what our bodies are capable of, understanding our limitations, and potential abilities , setting goals, I make sure they understand that joy is fuel, pain is fuel, success is fuel, failure is fuel , and that you have to use every bit of it ......

my students and I grow together as people.... so all I really want from them is honesty and desire

I give them their wings and send them from the nest , hopefully with the tools to bob and weave through this world confidently

I have former students who I call to sub on gigs and sub teach as well ... because I trust them

I spend years with these people.... watch them become adults ... we become family

and I will do anything for family and wish nothing but success and happiness for them

Very nicely put. So much so if you lived near me I'd sign up for lessons right now! :)

Very nicely put. So much so if you lived near me I'd sign up for lessons right now! :)

where do you live?

I travel quite a bit due to work and often set up lesson while in certain areas when time permits

we could possibly hook up and discuss

I've thought about the whole skpe route.... lots of guys have great success with that.... but so much of my teaching style is a hands on experience that I feel my teaching methods would not translate as they do when I am in your face in person :) ..... still an option I am thinking about though for certain situations

where do you live?

I travel quite a bit due to work and often set up lesson while in certain areas when time permits

we could possibly hook up and discuss

I've thought about the whole skpe route.... lots of guys have great success with that.... but so much of my teaching style is a hands on experience that I feel my teaching methods would not translate as they do when I am in your face in person :) ..... still an option I am thinking about though for certain situations

I'm in the UK unfortunately!

When I was an instructor sometimes I would get my advanced students to teach the beginners because when you teach something, anything...you learn it that much better.

You're having to not only perform the action but also break it down so another can understand it and as a result, makes you even better. And that sort of betterment does wonders for one's self-image. :D

When I was an instructor sometimes I would get my advanced students to teach the beginners because when you teach something, anything...you learn it that much better.

You're having to not only perform the action but also break it down so another can understand it and as a result, makes you even better. And that sort of betterment does wonders for one's self-image. :D

Yeah I'm actually hitting that point in my day job as well these days, where I'm being asked to impart my *cough* knowledge to others. My fiance is a primary school teacher too so when the time is right I have a wealth of experience to draw on from her.

Thanks guys, this is very helpful.

Everyone one else has already said it but you should definitely tell the teacher your goals!

If they turn you away because you said your goal is to teach you've probably dodged a bullet as anyone who does have a problem with that, has a problem!

My teacher was like this and he was the best! Diet Kirk, you should definitely talk about your goals with your teacher, it will be helpful for both of you. You'll get the same education but it will be focused on the areas that you feel are most important.

Back