After playing my new accustic kit for the first time, I get it.

haroldo_psf

I started learnign to play about 6 months ago, and joined this forum back then. I started with a DTXplorer electric. I posted questions like "Ekit vs accusitcs". advantages of one vs another, etc.

I got a bunch of replies, which didn't make much sense at the time....until now.

I have been playing on an ekit for all this time. My first instructor also used an ekit to teach (an $8000 Roland TD-20 or something). After we had our differences and I switched teachers, my new instructor teaches with two accustic sets, however the student set is in very bad shape, the bass drum barely makes a sound, and during our lessons, we are either at the practice pad, or playing exercises at the set, not really playing anything fun, so to speak.

I brought my new kit home Monday (pic below). I spend that day setting it up, and didn't have a chance to play it because when I was done it was almost 10pm, and I didn't want to piss off any neighbors. I then had a chance to play it last night.

Oh my f-ing god! It is so much more fun than my ekit it's ridiculous. The first thing I did was play along to RHCP Scar Tissue. What shocked me is that it is so much easier to make things sound and feel good on the accustic than on the ekit. There is no comparison.

i was naturally high for the next hour or so, in heaven, I just couldn't believe how fun it was, and that I was the one making those sounds.

I can't wait to go back to it after work... 6 hours and 27 minutes to go and counting :)

Attachments

• drums.JPG
    drums.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 408
Ha!
That's the magic of acoustic kits! To me, Ekits don't really compare to the sound or feel of acoustic ones.

Welcome to the fold. I currently have two and a half acoustic kits (I'll explain at some point) and they're so much fun. I have an electronic kit too and it's very useful, but it's not quite the same.

I remember those e kit posts because I too started on an e kit... See how bitchen Hi-Hats really are in comparison.

E kits are fun and can do a ton of great synthetic stuff but nothing compaires to Acoustics.

Enjoy, your kit is nice!

Well I have had to eat crow with many of my friends when I describe my experience with my new Saturn's compared to my TD10 Roland kit. I played Roland electronic drums for the last 20 years. Before that I had a couple of average acoustic kits. Most of my time playing the Rolands were at Church or with worship people in my basement. They are perfect for these two instances. At church you don't have to worry about sound bouncing around the walls, or having singers and old folks give you dirty looks. In my basement they were great because I could still beat on them, and not blow everyone else out of the room. They were also great for late night practicing.

Since getting my Saturn's my electronic kit has just sat there. The first thing I noticed getting back on acoustic drums was the presence they have. They are much more tangible. You can feel them, hear them better, they are more realistic to play, and much more fun to look at. They both have their place in the world, but only acoustic drums truly sound, play, and feel like acoustic drums.

Great to see you so excited.

Congrats on the lovely new kit! Completely agree about the ekits, no comparison.

Anyway, enjoy :)

E-kits are simply not anywhere near as expressive as a real drum kit. Sure, you can play them, but you can't PLAY them, ya dig?

I own two and a half acoustic kits. (Missing a "matching" kick drum to make three) ....​
I own three e-kits (plus a Roland SPD-S, a Korg Wave Drum, and a Mandala Drum)​
Acoustic kits are great ... and so are E-kits.​
This "constant" comparison ... acoustic vs. e-kit ... that I don't get. Like comparing a Skill saw with a Sawzall .... they simply are not the same thing. They do possess overlapping qualities, yes, but they cannot just be interchanged, without some form of compromise.​

Congrats, I have never owned an E-kit but actually looking forward toit if not just so I can practice more without having to upset the house. No E-kit will ever replace my Saturns though or my Catalina Maple's either for that matter : )

I originally played accoustic for about 6 years, then started playing e-drums only for about 8 years at church. I had constant problems with the triggers going in and out, as well as trying to program my sound with several other drummers shared the kit.

When I went back to accoustic, I was so pleased with the warmness and variatuons of the sounds, but concerned because now I had to control the volume more than I had to with the e-drums. I vividly remember when I switched back to accoustic, other band members said "wow, when did you start playing all that cool stuff?" I was playing the same as I did with the e-kit, but the system just stifled the sounds and no one could hear them.

Now 10 years later I play three different accoustic kits and don't miss the e-drums at all. Don't get me wrong, because e-drums have their place and function - just not what I need or want right now.

Congrats, I have never owned an E-kit but actually looking forward toit if not just so I can practice more without having to upset the house. No E-kit will ever replace my Saturns though or my Catalina Maple's either for that matter : )
Buddy. There is no kit on earth that can replace your Saturn's. :)

E-kits are simply not anywhere near as expressive as a real drum kit. Sure, you can play them, but you can't PLAY them, ya dig?

Unless you are as daft as I about 7 years ago and spent over £3000 on a Hart Pro 6.4, DDrum4 SE brain, and a Roland TD-6 brain. I could of got a DW or Yamaha Recording Custom for that :-(
DOH DOH DOH.

Mind you I did get about half of that back when I sold it all last year :)

I will say that electronic drums are way too expensive for what you get. I know you are paying for research and development that the lower brands are stealing but still.

I always say that you don't play music on an e-kit, you just practice the act of playing music.

Back