NAMM 2015 - what do you expect to see?

Basswood

NAMM 2015 is almost here, what are your wishes and what do you expect to see this year?

I'd love to see new Yamaha pedals, hopefully with longer foot boards.

Some of the new 2015 RV's would be cool to see. Also the latest trends in bridal ware is always exciting ;)

I want to know the numbers on how well the Ludwig Signets did one year later.

I hope to see every manufacturer offer toms in the following additional diameters: 9" & 11"

And 21" bass drums.

I want Remo to put out a clear head that is 9 mil thick (not 10 like the Ambassador).

I want to see a variable bass drum dampening device (pillow) that has some mass to it.

I want to see Sonor offer die cast hoops for all of their toms and lighter weight hardware.

I want Gretsch to offer a top quality light weight bronze snare drum.

I hope to see every manufacturer offer toms in the following additional diameters: 9" & 11"

And 21" bass drums.

I want Remo to put out a clear head that is 9 mil thick (not 10 like the Ambassador).

I want to see a variable bass drum dampening device (pillow) that has some mass to it.

I want to see Sonor offer die cast hoops for all of their toms and lighter weight hardware.

To which I would add....Yes! Yes! Yes!

Yea, the Signets are butt ugly drums. When they show up on CL just a year later...yea, not the mark of a highly prized set.

I expect to see the God drums...
A set with tone so incredible that only a chosen few can play it without going insane.
With bearing edges unlike anything anyone has ever seen.
With hardware forged from metals extracted from meteorites.
With shells made from wood so rare that only elders of the rain forests most elusive tribes have seen the trees.
With just enough built to keep it exclusive.
With a price point that isn't too expensive, but not too cheap.
Finally, it will be 100% hand built and hand finished by artisans in a far away land.

Id say bring back the epics... but with decent heads on them. Few of the artists loved them, i saw uriah heeps drummer and it sounded fab, same with the aged hardware. They should just do:

Entry kit: Accent
Step up kit: Element
Mid line: Element birch, breakbeats
Budget pro line: Epics, Centennials (make them worldwide), club date

THEN go US lines
Keystone
Vistalite
Classic Maple
Legacy

I expect to see a whole bunch of wood cylinders, with plastic membranes stretched over them, with each manufacture proclaiming them to be better than the other guy's wood cylinder with a plastic membrane stretched over it.

I also expect to see many round bronze discs, with each manufactures claiming they are the ones making real turkish style bronze discs, as if somewhere in the hall, someone is selling fake turkish style bronze discs.

I expect my feet to hurt a lot.

But mostly I expect to say hi to many friends and people I know.

And 21" bass drums.

http://www.gretschdrums.com/?fa=g4000sub&sid=599&fin=pb

I expect to see a lot of mediocre gear re-skinned and the price increased because it is 'new and improved.'

I also think Pearl is going to change their hardware line. I noticed that they discontinued almost all of the really hi-end 2000/2030 series stands and stuff. Now, those are very nice, hard-core industrial strength stands. I'm not sure if they discontinued them because they weren't selling well at the high price point, or because they take an Olympic weight-lifter to move.

I expect to see the God drums...
A set with tone so incredible that only a chosen few can play it without going insane.
With bearing edges unlike anything anyone has ever seen.
With hardware forged from metals extracted from meteorites.
With shells made from wood so rare that only elders of the rain forests most elusive tribes have seen the trees.
With just enough built to keep it exclusive.
With a price point that isn't too expensive, but not too cheap.
Finally, it will be 100% hand built and hand finished by artisans in a far away land.

Just airbrush a picture of Cthulhu on the front head of a Guru bass.

Iä! Iä! Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

...and then I saw this:

Unfortunately, we'll not be attending NAMM this year ;) ;) ;)

Great minds think alike, what? ;-)

Just airbrush a picture of Cthulhu on the front head of a Guru bass.

Iä! Iä! Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
Great minds think alike, what? ;-)
:)

Tou friggin che!

Sorry Larry, I couldn't resist :)

Seriously, I class this as the most unique sounding kit we've produced this year (& oh boy have we produced some beauties :). I've just edited this short video, & managed to attach the original aiff sound file for better audio. Good headphones & HD1080p setting for best sound.

I'd like to see if anyone can top the sound of this (unprocessed) with new offerings at NAMM. Of the very few who've played this kit, most have had trouser accidents ;) ;) ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJNRFQqVwSs&feature=youtu.be

Back