Quadrophenia with "Substitute" drummer

Hiya,

The Who brought Quadrophenia to the San Diego Sports Arena last night ... without Zak Starkey. Pete came out before the show started to tell the audience: "Our drummer has a tendon problem, so we had to fly in another drummer at the last minute -- Scott [I didn't catch his last name; we were in the 2nd-to-last row.

Pete also said, "You won't know the difference, but I will." :)

Then they started the show -- played the entire album without a break. The drummer, Scott, was pretty amazing.

Before the encore, Pete introduced the band, and saved Scott for last: "When we first brought Quadrophenia to the States, Keith Moon passed out from elephant tranquilizers at our show at the Cow Palace in San Francisco. We got a guy out of the crowd named Scott to play. We flew in another Scott for this show, and he did it all with ONE run-through."

Pete also said, "We didn't rehearse the rest of these songs with him though -- but everybody knows this sh*t!" And they went into "Who Are You."

Pretty cool -- anyone know anything about this drummer? I just did a quick Google and didn't come up with anything.

CV

Wow, great story.glad he kicked it.would have suked if the guy was not up to par..im sure someone will chime in who this cat is..........Did he play Zaks drums that you could tell?? hes known for DW 2 Bass kit ...just wondering.....

Pete's comment about Moon's use of elephant tranquilizers, although meant to be funny I'm guessing, was in kinda poor taste. Anyway, cool story.

Not sure what the finish is as hes been seen with different kits ,but always DW 2 Bass kits......

yes it was Scott Devours

and if it was the red and blue acrylic DW badged kit.... it was indeed Zaks kit

So if Zak has a tendon problem, is he going to be out for an extended time? I'm seeing the Who in 1 1/2 weeks

Too bad .I am going to see them in a couple of weeks..I would have liked to seen Ringos kid....:] I am sure Scott will impress the h out of me

Scott is an amazing drummer. I've been Facebook friends with him for about 2 years and he is also a hell of a nice guy and very down to earth. When I was looking to get a new kit, he was even advising me on that. Last night after the show he posted how he couldn't believe that he had just played for the Who and that he may never sleep again...lol. I'm really happy for him. He's just a guy who's worked really hard to be where he's at and he really appreciates it. So glad someone else noticed too!

Pete's comment about Moon's use of elephant tranquilizers, although meant to be funny I'm guessing, was in kinda poor taste. Anyway, cool story.

The Scott Halpin/'73 Cow Palace story is legendary among a lot of die hard Who fans. It's not like he violated some doctor/patient privacy law. I'm being a little tongue in cheek; odd drug and booze binging among rock stars is kind of a tired cliché.

Still it's the fantasy of a lot of fans: "What if you were called out of the audience to fill in for Moon?..."

-John

Scott is an amazing drummer. I've been Facebook friends with him for about 2 years and he is also a hell of a nice guy and very down to earth. When I was looking to get a new kit, he was even advising me on that. Last night after the show he posted how he couldn't believe that he had just played for the Who and that he may never sleep again...lol. I'm really happy for him. He's just a guy who's worked really hard to be where he's at and he really appreciates it. So glad someone else noticed too!

That's great Mary, sounds like a great guy and a good friend, happy for you, and for Scott.

That's great Mary, sounds like a great guy and a good friend, happy for you, and for Scott.

thanks, although no need to be happy for me...lol I first saw Scott when he was playing in Daltrey's band in 2010. That was the Daltrey/Clapton tour. His playing amazed me so much that I went home and looked him up. That concert and his playing were probably the final straw that pushed me into starting lessons.

Afterwards, I found him on FB and friended him and he friended me right back. After I posted some pics from the concert he started using one of my photos as a profile pic. I wrote him a funny little message about that and we've been FB friends ever since. I really hope to catch him in concert arounnd my area again sometime so I can meet him in person!

It's really nice to see a musician who has "made" it so to speak but still keeps in touch with his fans. He seems really grateful for every opportunity he gets. His dad just died last month and he had moved home to be with him for a month before that so I have a feeling that this gig had some special meaning for him too.

Anyways, I'm done praising now, I just like to give recognition where it's deserved :)

Keith for me was the man growing up but not for everyone. Whos next i think was his best work......BUT he did go downhill the last few years as the drugs and booze took control,but,in his hay day none played like him ever.........

Keith for me was the man growing up but not for everyone. Whos next i think was his best work......BUT he did go downhill the last few years as the drugs and booze took control,but,in his hay day none played like him ever.........

I do love the drumming on Quadrophenia...but I always feel, just a feeling, and this coming from a guy whose not fit to lace his boots (ie. myself !) that he puts just too many fills in throughout pieces.

But...what the hell am I talking about...it still remains one of my most favourite albums of all time and I'm going to purge my evil, distopian thoughts from my mind by playing it on the tram en-route home in 10 minutes !!!

:)

I do love the drumming on Quadrophenia...but I always feel, just a feeling, and this coming from a guy whose not fit to lace his boots (ie. myself !) that he puts just too many fills in throughout pieces.

you are talking about Keith Moon here

do you think he cared about where he placed fills or even put very much thought at all into what he was playing?

he didn't

he was a mad man reacting .....thats all

outside of the Who either touring or recording he did not care to touch or even look at drums.... didn't even own a personal drum kit and never had one in his home

I don't even put Keith in the same category of other drummers.....he was just a force of nature .......pure emotion spontaneously reacting ....and just happened to have multiple drums in front of him while reacting to express his emotions

I love everything about Keith

the definition of raw power and insanity

Back