DAW - Interface - Computer General Question On Sound Quality

Yes, identical buffer settings. In fact, it doesn't matter what the settings are at this point, any new project or song as Presonus calls it and its not usable. So I think there has to be something corrupt. I'm going to wipe it and start again early this week.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I dragged the iMac to the basement yesterday and experienced effortless, easy and great sounding recording with no issues whatsoever. Figures. WinDoze......................

Possibly a sample rate issue. Check what the DAW is defaulting to and what Windows is set to. That can be a cause of odd behaviours...

So it sounds like an operating system problem. Have you disabled the built-in soundcard on the laptop in Device Manager? Also, check the audio settings in the system settings. I've had trouble when Windows defaults to a different bit and sample rate than the interface drivers are calling for. If you can disable the built in soundcard in the BIOS, that would be even better.

What version of Windows are your running?

If you can disable the built in soundcard in the BIOS
Just another reason to switch to a Mac.

Running Windoze 10.

I'll do the reinstall first. If issues persist, I'll disable the Realtek drivers and see if it resolves the issue. But that opens another can of worms when not using the system for recording as I'll be flipflopping.

I'm using an Asus laptop (K55A) with an i7 cpu and Windows 10 x64. I have it set so the Windows sounds (which are usually 16 bit/44.1K) go through the built-in soundcard, which is set as default. When my Focusrite interface is attached (using 24 bit/96K), I tell Windows NOT to map sounds through it, and set my DAW to use only the Focusrite ins and outs, and ignore the Realtek ones. Works fine for me. It's just a matter of getting the settings right.

. . . This Garage Band is pretty basic although is so much more intuitive and polished than the Studio One Artist which came with the interface. I could only imagine how good Apple's Logic Pro X must be, its only $200 and doesn't require the use of a software key authentication lock (dongle). Although I doubt I'll ever need something that robust, but just might get it when I switch to a Mac.

I went from Garageband to Logic Pro and hated it because the workflow was nothing like using Garageband. About two years ago I went in for Studio One (full version) and haven't looked back.

This sounds like settings and specifications.

When I used my Roland Studio capture on my older laptop, it would record fine, but when you play it back and try to play something along to it, it popped and clicked and eventually crashed.

The problem was traced back to write speed of the hard disk. It simply couldn't handle playing all those audio files at once whilst adding more audio/midi, despite having lots of space. Processor and memory were fine, but the hard disk monitor was clipping constantly.

My new setup is a much more powerful computer but it has some specifics:

-Operating system is installed on a 256GB solid state drive
-Cubase Artist 8.5 is also installed on the Solid state drive
-All audio files / project / samples are stored on a dedicated SATA hard drive

Even if you don't have a solid state drive, splitting up the installation/OS from the audio files you use will make a difference. To keep inproving, add more RAM and/or a more powerful processor.

WIndows 10 is a bit of a lemon when it comes to driver compatibility, but I have mine working like a dream right now

I went from Garageband to Logic Pro and hated it because the workflow was nothing like using Garageband. About two years ago I went in for Studio One (full version) and haven't looked back.

Workflow really is the most important thing when it comes to deciding on a DAW. All of them do everything quite well (including Garageband, although it is quite cut down - it's quite capable of producing professional results) so deciding on which DAW is for you really is down to workflow.

Personally, Logic 8/9 is my favourite and what I'm most fluent in. I use Reaper because of the price and it's a decent workflow. I haven't used Logic X at all but I'd like to give it a go. My least favourite mainstream DAW is Pro Tools - I just can't gel with it.

If Studio One works for you, that's great.

Driver compatibility is a real pain in the backside sometimes. I never upgrade my OS (running a Mac here) until about 6 months into the cycle for exactly that reason and I always have another laptop that's two versions behind.

Last night got disgusted so I trashed it, restarted the laptop and ran some diagnostics to check the system. Then restarted again and reinstalled the DAW and drivers. Tried it out just a few hours ago and all works properly. At least that weird decay issue has disappeared as that rendered the software nonfunctional.

Overall, its possible the extreme problems of late, such as the decay issue were most likely due to a recent Windows 10 update. Since following that, I started getting other non-related problems such as warnings certain dll's needed for Photoshop were not installed when in fact they were, along with Windows not recognizing default apps.

Still going to switch to a Mac however at some point.

Back