Local Custom drums OR DW collectors series

Tupim

Hi,

I am thinking about buying a new kit. I have the option to buy a used dw collectors series or to buy a new completely custom drum kit from a local drum store/factory. The local store can tweak the drums to be any size, finish, and wood i want. The question is, do i buy new custom drums from a local shop or do i buy used Dw? I feel dw has spent years perfecting their drums, making them top of the line, however, the local shop has been building drum for over 20 years and i can service the drums if needed. (BTW i live overseas so i would need to ship the dw over to me)(Heres a link to an example of the drum factoy drums)

https://www.google.co.il/search?q=b...KHQCvDqwQ_AUIBigB&dpr=1#imgrc=1vlTKgs9-UN2rM:

First what is the cost? shipping the DW properly will cost a mint. If you can get what you want locally, for the price and finish/color you want, why not buy new.

When Yossi Buzin was in Los Angeles and assembling drums, he used Keller shells. Nothing wrong with that, but that didn't make them unique in any way, and he charged A LOT for the drums then (I think about 10 years ago.) Not sure what he's using now, or what he's charging. But like most custom brand drums, they won't hold their value.

For that reason alone, I'd recommend going with the used DW drums, which I'm sure will cost less up front, and will retain most or all of their value. Take the savings and buy some extra cymbals, snares, or other goodies!

Bermuda

When Yossi Buzin was in Los Angeles and assembling drums, he used Keller shells. Nothing wrong with that, but that didn't make them unique in any way, and he charged A LOT for the drums then (I think about 10 years ago.) Not sure what he's using now, or what he's charging. But like most custom brand drums, they won't hold their value.

For that reason alone, I'd recommend going with the used DW drums, which I'm sure will cost less up front, and will retain most or all of their value. Take the savings and buy some extra cymbals, snares, or other goodies!

Bermuda

That right there is some solid advice. If someone is charging a real premium for basically Keller shells with custom finishing and hardware install then I would think the DW would be a no brainer even with shipping costs.

I"m not taking anything away from the Keller shops, Keller makes nice shells, but heck even I have built nice drums from Keller shells and I wouldn't think of paying someone to do the same thing.

If someone is making actual custom shells like Guru etc. then we're talking true "custom" in my book......not just "assembled and finished to your specs".....

It depends on a lot on what you want.

If re-sale value is of an concern, the DW wins hands down. As Bermuda said, the custom set will have near zero value as a used drum set.

If you plan on keeping your next set forever, then resale is of little concern.

Is the DW kit the exact sizes you want? If not, why bother?
Is the DW kit the color you want?

What's going to make you happiest in the long run, a drum set no one else has, made to your specs or knowing you have a name brand that other musicians will recognize as quality?

First off,DW was a Keller build for the first twenty years of it,s existence,and they were not all that custom except for cosmetics. Going custom only makes sense if know whatyou want and if you have confidence in the builder,and is very involved and a labor of love.

Going custom only makes sense if know whatyou want and if you have confidence in the builder,and is very involved and a labor of love.

True, and there are a few such dedicated builders: Pork Pie, Craviotto, Guru, Brady, rbh, etc. Based on what I saw of the drums in L.A., I don't consider Buzin to be in their league.

Bermuda

He is charging roughly $2,000 for a 18 bass,2 high toms (10,12), and 2 floor toms (14,16). The DW would be closer to $3000 dollars. (with shipping it to Israel from Guitar center used gear) What exactly is difference keller drum shells compared to collectors series by dw. Is it poorer quality than maple vlt,hvx,x,vlx shells that dw offers?

Im confused on why some companies really are considered custom. They should just be considered assemblers. With that said, I went with a "custom" company that is local to me and I couldnt be more pleased with the sound and feel of the drums. They are a little hard and weird to tune, but sound amazing.

True, and there are a few such dedicated builders: Pork Pie, Craviotto, Guru, Brady, rbh, etc. Based on what I saw of the drums in L.A., I don't consider Buzin to be in their league.

Bermuda

Where do companies like C&C and George Way Drums fit? Would you include them in this list?

He is charging roughly $2,000 for a 18 bass,2 high toms (10,12), and 2 floor toms (14,16). The DW would be closer to $3000 dollars. (with shipping it to Israel from Guitar center used gear) What exactly is difference keller drum shells compared to collectors series by dw. Is it poorer quality than maple vlt,hvx,x,vlx shells that dw offers?

As pointed out, DW's used to use Keller shells so if you you're looking at an older DW kit, that's what you may be getting. These days Keller shells aren't inferior to DW shells, they're just different. Each company uses proprietary techniques to build its own shells. If you buy into the DW marketing, even the type of glue they use makes a difference. Understand that not all DW Collectors maple shells built today use the SSC (VLT,VLX, etc.) cross-laminated technology, though bigger drums have "Built in Bottom" standard. SSC shells are an add-on. HVLT is standard on their newer oak and maple-mahogany shells.

Here are a few questions that come to mind:

1. Have you actually PLAYED the custom drums? Have you played a set of DW Collectors? Which sounded better to your ears? If you weren't able to play both, I'd go with the DW by default in this case.

2. Are you the type of person that likes to buy/sell gear? If so, go with the DW. If not, go with the custom...if it sounds better to you.

3. Are the DW's in sizes that interest you? If it's way off (say you are wanting a 26" kick and the DW's have an 18" kick), then consider the custom build.

Hope this helps.

so i never actually played either. i more or less tapped around at the store on both. I know DW is good quality because of all the work they put in and the fact that so many big names use them. As for selling gear, i have no interest. I plan on keeping the drums for as long as i can. I can get any sizes i want in both cases but the finish for the DW will be whatever they have at the time. Seems like DW is the better choice from peoples responses.

I wouldn't buy any drum kit before I played them. I was determined to buy DW and played several kits from the Collector's to Performance series. I wasn't impressed with any of them. I tried Gretsch USA shells and played them next to Renowns. I liked the Renowns better and bought them. One day I was minding my own business in a music store and heard someone playing drums in the far corner of the store. They sounded fabulous! I figured they were expensive DWs or Ludwigs....they were Mapex Meridian maples. I bought a shell set of those also. I've been very happy with both kits. Let your ears decide....you may be surprised what you find out.

Not really, only you can work that one out. Depends what sizes, finish, fittings and sound you are looking for.

So this is the problem, because i live over seas i don't have the option to try out a wide range of drum companies. where i live it is pretty much mapex, yamaha, pearl, tama, gretche. Another problem is they only have certain models of each kit. For example, they have yamaha stage custom and thats it, no other models for yamaha. I own a mapex pro m now and it is ok but im looking for something more serious and with better hardware.

Back