My ever-growing Ludwig classic maple kit

RogerLudwig

So last May I sold the Rogers Londoner kit I bought in 1973 and decided to order a new set from Ludwig. Ontario Music isn't too far away and it turns out that the owner, Todd Trent, was Ludwig's artist rep for years. I visited the shop and they have a couple of Ringo's snares, and one kit each from Bun E. Carlos and AVH. Cool stuff...and they really know Ludwig.

I started with the 8x12 rack; 14x14 and 16x16 floor toms, and a 14x 22 kick, along with a matching maple snare (5x14). I ordered it in July and it arrived in October. In between they got an LM400KT, so I got that, too.

Then in December I ordered a 9x13, which arrived in less than three weeks. Last Friday I ordered another maple snare, this time a 6.5x14 with mini-classic lugs and the Millenium strainer.

Finally, I hope to add a 14 x 20 kick in the next few months. Then I can configure a couple of different 1up/1down and 1up/2down kits with different snares. I don' t like to have two rack toms, so I can switch between the 12 and 13 depending on the venue.

And for the complete gear head, here are the specs:

Drums-Ludwig Classic Maple; 2008 catalog

Kick Drum LB842 14” x 22”
w/10.5mm Elite tom holder assembly; classic lugs; T-handle tension rods; heavy duty disappearing curved spurs

Floor Tom LF844 14” x 14” WMP
w/ 10.5mm Elite tom legs; classic lugs

Floor Tom LF866 16” x 16” WMP
w/ 10.5mm Elite tom legs; classic lugs

Rack Tom LT893 9” x 13” WMP
w/ Vibraband w/P7185AP Elite MT; classic lugs

Rack Tom LT882 8” x 12” WMP
w/ vibraband w/p7185AP Elite MT; mini-classic lugs

Snare LS401TM 5” x 14” WMP
W/ tone control; die cast hoops; tube lugs; Millennium strainer; P-33 butt plate

Snare LM400KT(M) 5” x 14” Ludalloy
Hand hammered; tube lugs; 2.3mm triple flanged hoops; Millennium strainer; P-33 butt plate

Hardware-
• LM926CS x 2 -straight modular cymbal stands
• LM936MBS x 3 -modular boom cymbal stands
• LM917HH -swivel base hi hat stand
• LM922SSL -modular snare stand; low
• LM815FPR -foot pedal with rock plate®
• LM446TH -modular throne
• LM474CBH – Add-on cowbell holder; attaches to bass hoop
• LR257TH – Elite single tom add-on holder with 10.5mm L-arm/ball
• LR2991MT – Classic Single tom holder; 10.5mm
• LR2992MT – Classic Double tom holder; 10.5mm

Cymbals-
Avedis Zildjian
12” A Custom Splash (PT)
Armand Zildjian
14” Armand Hi Hats (MT/M)
20” Armand Ride (MT)
19” Armand Ride w/ 3-rivets (MT)
18” Armand Thin Crash (T)
16” Armand Medium Thin Crash (MT)
10” Armand Splash (PT)

Accessories:
• Latin Percussion brand; Black Beauty Sr.® Cowbell LP228
• Claves; Ludwig; model LE2368
• Maracas; Ludwig; model LE2365
• Guiro; Ludwig; model LE2367
• Timpani mallets; Ludwig (Payson); model L305
• Wire brushes; Ludwig; model L194

the really neat thing about all this is that the money I got for the Rogers kit, including the matching maple Dyna-sonic, paid for all of the new Ludwig stuff.

Attachments

• My kit, front view.jpg
    My kit, front view.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 5,641
  • resampled from behind.jpg
    resampled from behind.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 4,045
  • Ludwig WMP 5-piece Classic Maple.jpg
    Ludwig WMP 5-piece Classic Maple.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 4,670
  • snares resampled.jpg
    snares resampled.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 4,047
Oh man, I am super excited for you, I have a ludwig classic maple in bop sizes and I know how happy I was when I got them, the sound of these drums compairs to none!

Congrats and hopefully you'll have these around to treasure for a long time.

Peace!

My dear Lord that white marine pearl is amazing. I might have just changed my mind from getting a blue oyster pearl to this white. Its just classy. A random question but do they age well? Hear that some white can slowly turn yellow or something. An amazing set congrats!

Pure class!

With the Armands + WMP+ Ludwig it looks like the 60's has forged your kit. I always thought Luddies curved spurs looked cool!

That 1st outdoor shot looks like it belongs on a Calendar!

When I get the ambition, I am going to make myself a wall calender with a different kit each month.

...Roger.

Check your family tree, as I think we must be related.

Great set ups you have there, and even though mine are very similar I still feel a twinge of envy.

your cousin barry.

There is SOMETHING about the way a Ludwig kit looks,....it's just soooo .....classy!

Also, no offense, but the tube lugs just don't look right to me w/ the Ludwig classic lugs (in combination) I don't know what it is, but for me it doesn't look right..

Now...would I take your kit!! HELL YES :) !!!

One of nicest looking kits I've seen on here, very classy.

There is SOMETHING about the way a Ludwig kit looks,....it's just soooo .....classy!

Also, no offense, but the tube lugs just don't look right to me w/ the Ludwig classic lugs (in combination) I don't know what it is, but for me it doesn't look right..

Now...would I take your kit!! HELL YES :) !!!

Thanks to all of you for your nice comments. I thought long and hard about lugs on the snare before I went with the tubes, but heck, I like 'em.

Last week I picked up a matching 6.5x16 LS403. I requested the mini-classic/ split lugs and was told that Ludwig no longer builds maple snares with the mini-classics. I could only select from tube and classic....so I went with the big 'o classic bowtie lugs. And it looks great. Particularly with the vintage look I was trying to get with the rest of the kit. I'll post some pics of it in a few days.

My dear Lord that white marine pearl is amazing. I might have just changed my mind from getting a blue oyster pearl to this white. Its just classy. A random question but do they age well? Hear that some white can slowly turn yellow or something. An amazing set congrats!

I had a set of Rogers WMP for 35 years and it did change color slightly. the key is to make sure your shells are all covered with plastic from the same run. I had a kit with three drums from the Covington factory and two from Fullerton. The Covingtons aged to have a real nice sort of greenish hue to it, but they looked beautiful. I think that is one of the beauties of WMP. However, the Fullertons never changed color over the entire 35 years that I owned them

the photo shows the two rack toms. The top one discolored (a Covington shell) and the bottom one didn't (Fullerton shell).

Attachments

• two Rogers toms.jpg
    two Rogers toms.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 3,772
Man that's *shaaaaarrrp*! The look and sound of Ludwig drums are second-to-none. I don't know why...but I love 'em. Love the snares, too!

Roger, nice set of luddies. I am loving all over that finish. They are absolutely beautiful man. Congrats.

The LS403WM arrived...nice drum, but I'm still a little ticked off that they wouldn't put mini-classic lugs on it. Oh well, it sure sounds good!

I've added a 9x13 and the 6.5x14 LS403 since the first pics. I'm sure glad everyone has enjoyed them..I know I do. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• LS403WMresampled.jpg
    LS403WMresampled.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 3,799
  • LS401TWM resampled.jpg
    LS401TWM resampled.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 3,540
Last edited:
Very cool and Todd is a great guy. He has been the Ludwig guy for years, he has worked with a ton of great Ludwig endorsees, ask him some time ;-)

And I miss Ca, have a Double double for me will ya?

Beautjful set. WMP is just such a classic finish. I have a classic maple set also. They sound fantastic, best value drums going around IMHO.

Very cool and Todd is a great guy. He has been the Ludwig guy for years, he has worked with a ton of great Ludwig endorsees, ask him some time ;-)

And I miss Ca, have a Double double for me will ya?

In-and-Out....that's what a hamburgers all about! Hope things are okay it T

Todd is the reason I purchased my kit there..a really knowledgeable and nice guy.

Back