Full review - Origin series Performance range kit.

Awesome review and superb pics, it does sounds like you've hit the jackpot, this pic from the review screams "play me, play me", absolutely gorgeous :)

Attachments

• Guru Performance kit.jpg
    Guru Performance kit.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 473
Excellent review! Too bad about the quality of pictures published in the PDF file, but Andy, I really think you guys have struck gold with this kit, and the reviewer obviously agrees! I like his comments in the "downbeats" section. Haha! Damn I just want to play that kit so bad! I'm holding true to one of my comments on the other thread, which is, that just looking at this kit inspires me to go play music!

Hey, if you guys ever need someone to endorse this product (especially if said product featured a 24" bass drum) I'd be down. ;D

-Jonathan

Congratulations. It's great to see a company who pay attention to the details, do things right and thoroughly, and strive for excellence get the good feedback they deserve.

Kudos to you on hitting this out of the park. What an absolute beauty... and the way you engineered the tom to rest in the RIMS mount... genius!! I'll take two.

Congratulations, great review, I know this has been a labour of love for you guys, with a lot of stress, hopefully you're starting to see the benefits from all your hard work, or if not now, after the show.

So many manufacturers claim to have re-invented the drum etc etc, but I think in your case it's a legitimate claim.

I am so thrilled to see this wonderful, raving review for you Andy!! Truly every word in it was well-deserved! Every time I see the kit I just fill with excitement! This work of yours (Guru) is far beyond "a breath of fresh air," it's a new era in this business and a welcome one to boot!!!

Again congrats on such an amazing achievement and thank you so much for keeping us up-to-date and involved!!

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this Andy. Still going to buy the magazine so I have it for my collection.

Again, awesome work and though I'm not surprised of the results, I'm just thrilled for you that this is the outcome.

Congratulations! Félicitations! Congratulazioni! Grattis!

You've worked hard. You guys deserve it!

Congrats on the great review KIS............The kit is beautiful........I bet it was stressful waiting for this review to come out.

Guys, each & every one of you, thank you so much for your kind words & best wishes. They really mean a lot to us. We've yet to show you the best stuff, & ultimately, it's how you think these drums sound. I'm just setting up the recording sessions now. We'll be filming late November, & those recordings will be very transparent, so you can hear exactly what's going on. They'll feature a choice of recording methods & no processing/processed too, so you can truly evaluate how these drums will deliver in a number of scenarios. The videos will feature all three ranges within the Origin series.

So many manufacturers claim to have re-invented the drum etc etc, but I think in your case it's a legitimate claim.
We certainly wouldn't dare to claim we've re-invented the drum, but I think it's balanced to suggest we've changed the game in terms of performance expectations from high end drums.

just curious, what would a kit like the one in the review cost?
The one in the review is a fairly expensive option, because it features two floor toms, & the floor toms are a premium above a rack tom. Through a store/retailer, the expected MRSP for that 4 piece shell set will be in the region of £4,500 ($7,300) + local tax as applicable. 3 piece shell sets from £3,700 ($6,000) + local tax as applicable. I would expect street prices to be a touch down from those values. As we currently don't have a dealer network for Origin, we can supply kits directly at substantially lower values until such time as there is a dealer appointed in your country/area. TBH, we're going to feel our way through the distribution process, as we expect a dealer to fully subscribe to our requirements in order to justify their margin. If not, then we'll do it ourselves, & pass on the savings to compensate for a lack of local representation/service. Our pricing is similar to Craviotto, but without the inflated MRSP values that seem commonplace in the USA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the review Andy, I don't think you could give a drum kit any better review without sounding overly gushing or biased. I absolutely love everything about it. My biggest issue would probably be what type of wood to use and what type of bearing edges to have cut. Such a cool kit, you have to be on cloud 9 right now.

Congrats on the review Andy, I don't think you could give a drum kit any better review without sounding overly gushing or biased. I absolutely love everything about it. My biggest issue would probably be what type of wood to use and what type of bearing edges to have cut. Such a cool kit, you have to be on cloud 9 right now.
Thank you :) :) For both this kit (Performance range) & the Classic range, the wood species & bearing edge profiles are already set. There are no choices. For those who want to specify their own build, there is the Custom range within the Origin series. In the Custom range, you can have pretty much anything you want (after taking our advice to ensure a suitable outcome). We don't offer options on finishes however, because of their potential adverse affect on sound.

Andy I've been away from the forum for some time and was really amazed at how the Guru drums have worked out! Congratulations to you and Dean on a superbly executed drum concept. I hope you achieve all of the recognition and success you deserve.

Andy I've been away from the forum for some time and was really amazed at how the Guru drums have worked out! Congratulations to you and Dean on a superbly executed drum concept. I hope you achieve all of the recognition and success you deserve.
Thanks man, & welcome back :) I hope it runs too. If we fail, it won't be because we didn't try hard enough :(

Are you also making snares Andy?

Ah, just saw the web site. http://www.gurudrumworks.co.uk/our_products/snare-drums-4.htm

I would love to play one!
Yes, we make lots of lovely snares :) Sorry about the website right now. It's in a bit of a mess as I'm wrestling with reworking it before the show.

One snippet of news, we're working on an Origin series snare right now, but it won't be ready for a while :(

So nice !!!
Stunning set.

And so intresting inovations on this set.
I like lot the rims/lugs system. It woudnt suprise me if several brandof drums soon will have similar solutions, So simply, and so clever solution!!!! I hope you have patent on this?

Back