Mapex Saturn: Quality & Price Question

RobertM

Platinum Member
I know this conversation/question has probably been raised before, but does anyone have good evidence as to why Mapex Saturn kits are (a) not as expensive as DW Collectors, Gretsch USA Customs, Ludwig Classic Maple, Sonor Pro-Lite, Yamaha RCs or Absolutes, etc., and (b) not thought of as equal quality of these same kits?

Saturns are considered pro-level drums, and I know that manufacturing in China helps to lower production costs, which leads to more affordable street prices. So, is the reason why the Saturns still suffer in reputation when compared to a Grestch USA or Yamaha high-end down solely to reputation and/or locale of production/costs?

Is there a solid, legitimate, or even factual reason for why a Mapex Saturn kit would not be universally accepted as on par in terms of quality with a Gretsch USA or Yamaha RC/Absolute, etc.? If this were the 1990s, then I know there would be a factual reason: Mapex kits back then had numerous quality problems. For the past several years, though, Mapex has left that era behind and even has the ISO 9000 facility certification.

Just trying to look beyond the reputation issue to see if there are legitimate factors for why some in the drum community--both players and drum shop dealers--consider a Saturn kit to not be of good enough value when compared to other contemporary high-end kits.

Thanks for any input!

Ok, to my mind the Saturn is marketed as a workhorse kit. A pro kit for the working musician to be played a lot. It doesn't have the pedigree that a Ludwig, Gretsch, DW or a recording custom has, but it's every bit as good, so long as you like the tone.

The build is superb, finishes are spot on, and a lot of pro players use them on the road. To my mind they fall in the same category as a Tama Starclassic. Quality, well priced gear.

You have to remember its a salesmans job to SELL stuff. The higher the value, the better for them. So they'll always tell you the Yamaha et al are better. When it comes to the crunch, there isn't a lot in it. The DWs are a little different, as the collectors are more custom and with those customisation options, and the hand building, comes a premium in price. Compare it to a performance series......

Bottom line is this. It IS a high-end kit. It's well priced, and a whole host of pros (including Steve White, Gregg Bissonette, Josh Devine and many others) play them on a daily basis. If you vibe the kit, it's a solid purchase!

I think being china made is part of it, the other part is a pricing strategy.

And as for brand perception - it's amazing how silly people get over the brand written on a bass drum head and what they assume they know, the emotions tied to it etc etc

We're all guilty of it really but some ppl are just dumb, and outspoken.

My heart was tied to sonor but when you look at the price of a Saturn vs delite/prolite, you really need to believe the sonor is twice as good if you're going to spend twice the money. I did not.

Not sure, but I think that people in the know will not agree that Saturns are below the other kits you mentioned. Quite a bit of perception in the marketplace is due to the marketing efforts of the manufacturer and price point. Expensive is percieved to be better.

I'm a nobody, but, I've owned or own Ludwigs, Rogers, Mapex and have played DW's, Pork Pie and a number of other high end "pro" kits and I'd say that the Mapex brand owes no other brand any apologies in terms of sound. build, quality and when you put price in the mix then Mapex certainly wins the battle on the topic of value.

Let me start by saying I own a Saturn kit and I think it's the best value pro level kit out there. It's not a DW, Sonor Delite or a Gretch New Classic or whatever and isn't marketed as one- Mapex have the orion for that level of customisation.

My buying decision was made by looking at value- bang for your buck if you like. It was pretty much the only pro level kit that i could afford in the sizes I wanted in a finish that I liked (supernova burst with nickel hardware). I did get a very good deal and a similarly specked Starclassic would have been an additional £600 (I was a tama user before).

The kit sounds great, looks great, is really well put together, so I'm not sure what else anyone needs. The hardware is excellent too!

Interestingly enough, I didn't find that the price difference between the Saturn and Orion series worth it.

Quite a bit of perception in the marketplace is due to the marketing efforts of the manufacturer and price point.

Yeah back in college an economics professor used Haagen Dasz ice cream as an example of this. When that brand was launched, the owners decided to give it a fancy sounding foreign name and price it higher than other brands to create the perception of higher quality. In reality the ice cream itself was not THAT different from cheaper brands like Baskin Robbins or Ben & Jerry's.

My guess would be a combination of this idea plus the fact that Mapex is a relatively smaller brand in the marketplace, compared to the giant 50-100 year old names that we're all familiar with. Korean cars in the US market went through a period where they were perceived as inferior, but it looks like that perception is changing as their quality improves and as their names gather a little longevity and recognition. I bet Mapex experiences a similar shift in public perception the longer they stick around.

I paid $1200 for my Mapex Saturn Jazz kit in March. 20x18, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14.

I've owned a DW kit and I currently have a Spaun Acrylic/Maple Hybrid set that I love, but I truly think these Saturns are the best sounding drums I have played. The Walnut/Maple combo is beautiful and the build quality is superb.

I have played almost every level of drumkit over the years.
I bought a Saturn Manhattan jazz kit back in January.
I will run my Saturn against any kit out there and be confident that it is equal to or better than.
Mapex just plain got it right.
I don't understand the price difference either, but I am glad that I can buy a pro kit for a great price.
I paid $1100 USD for my 4 piece Jazz kit.
The best money that I have ever spent on drums.

My A kit is a 22, 10, 12, 14, 16, 5.5 x 14 Saturn that was $1300 brand new (ended up trading them an old kit and getting it for $900 if you can believe that). It's pro level all the way (and also very heavy... do some squats)

I got my Mapex Saturns back in February and I love 'em. I've played every level of drum kits and I'd put these Saturns up against any others that I've played. The finish and build quality are top notch and they sound amazing! I'm pretty much a Mapex guy now. The price/performance ratio on the Saturns is the best that I've seen. The hardware is sturdy and dependable as well. Don't buy into the marketing garbage. Half of those people can't even spell the word drum. You really can't lose with the Saturns or with the Black Panther snares. They're both world class.

I entirely agree.
I love my Saturns a whole helluva lot.
Paul

Attachments

• DSCF0169 (640x478).jpg
    DSCF0169 (640x478).jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 7,232
  • DSCF0167 (640x478).jpg
    DSCF0167 (640x478).jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 7,971
I know this conversation/question has probably been raised before, but does anyone have good evidence as to why Mapex Saturn kits are (a) not as expensive as DW Collectors, Gretsch USA Customs, Ludwig Classic Maple, Sonor Pro-Lite, Yamaha RCs or Absolutes, etc., and (b) not thought of as equal quality of these same kits?

Saturns are considered pro-level drums, and I know that manufacturing in China helps to lower production costs, which leads to more affordable street prices. So, is the reason why the Saturns still suffer in reputation when compared to a Grestch USA or Yamaha high-end down solely to reputation and/or locale of production/costs?

Is there a solid, legitimate, or even factual reason for why a Mapex Saturn kit would not be universally accepted as on par in terms of quality with a Gretsch USA or Yamaha RC/Absolute, etc.? If this were the 1990s, then I know there would be a factual reason: Mapex kits back then had numerous quality problems. For the past several years, though, Mapex has left that era behind and even has the ISO 9000 facility certification.

Just trying to look beyond the reputation issue to see if there are legitimate factors for why some in the drum community--both players and drum shop dealers--consider a Saturn kit to not be of good enough value when compared to other contemporary high-end kits.

Thanks for any input!
I don't perceive much of a quality difference between Saturns & other kits you mentioned. I think they offer remarkable value for money. When you factor in all the shipping costs, distribution/retail margins, etc, those $1200 kits at retail have a production cost sub $300. You'd struggle to buy the drum fittings for that.

Labour cost & general production overheads are obviously very keen. Economical materials help that price too, but the end result is certainly greater than the sum of it's parts, & that's always a sign of a company that's got the mix just right.

BTW, although ISO9000 is likely to assist in consistency & product fault reporting, it has no bearing on product quality. You can make complete crap & have ISO9000 certification. It just means that you produce crap consistently and keep suitable records. (that's a general observation, not specific to any company, & not implied criticism of Mapex).

Every decade or so, a manufacturer just gets the mix right. A roadworthy kit at an affordable price. Pearl got that accolade with their Export series in the 80's, & Mapex get it in this decade, although the game has moved on, so at an overall higher quality point.

You mean Sticks?

Also known as Sticks4Drums...he really likes Saturns and has a monster kit purely from saturns if I remember correctly.
...and he's back on this forum! Appeared as 'newest member' some 2 days ago (almost identical username).

Andy - very interesting post of yours!

Back