the gig i forgot my cymbals... baking trays

wert90

this happened a while ago but if just got the photos of my phone. not sure if i should share this story as it makes me look a bit dim. but.....

my band was playing at a wedding 2hours drive from my house. i set up my kit then went to get my cymbal case, it wasnt there. i phoned home and luckily they were there (well sort of lucky, at least i still had them!).

our keys player got on his blackberry to search google for local music shops. i got hold of one, the rest were closed. i was so close to buying a set of starter cymbals then the guy turned around and said his manager wouldnt let him, theyd already cashed up. we offered loads of money, cash. but no.

so that was it. we went round the back and found a serving tray, and gaffa taped it to my kit along with the singers tambourine. it actually wasnt as bad as it could have been, we got to the end.... a drummer in the crowd said he was looking at my kit and sudenly realised i had no cymbals. so at least he didnt hear they were missing!

it taught me some lessons. made me play in a different approach. and i certainly wont be forgetting them again. so heres the pictures, they make me laugh. anyone else ever done this?

o and i kept the tray and took it home.... not a mark on the zildjians though ha

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

Too funny! Way to be resourceful, though. You might get some crap here for it, but I doubt it...the thing you will probably get crap for is the beer sitting on your snare head. Those glasses sweat, man!

Got any recordings? I am curious how a tray sounds for a ride... Clangy I suppose?

There's Zildjian's new flat ride. Of course they'll ruin it by painting it black.

Great story! Must have been some evening. The trays must have sounded wild. How'd that glass of beer taste/sound?

What the #%%&*( %^$%$&^(* ^&*&*^ *^&*^&* *_)* %$%#$%^$% $&^%$$ &(&(& *))*()* %$%^$ %*^%&* (*&(*&* (*&(*&( (& (& ^&$&%^$%^$!!!!!
I had to get that out.

Phew I feel better now.
Don't do it again.
Now, I know why there are so many drummer jokes. LOL

Being resourceful is a great attribute to have as a drummer, or any type of musician for that matter.

Regardless of the gig, I always bring a set of brushes. You can get away with almost anything, provided you didn't forget you snare...

Thanks for sharing!

If it had been me, I would probably have tried to find some metal garbage can lids or perhaps some lids from large pots from the kitchen. I've played cymbals that I disliked so much that I have referred to them as garbage can lids! To bad that they didn't have any round serving trays. Good idea just the same! I once forgot my stick bag and I played with wooden spoons. I also had to turn back once and get my kick pedal. Since that day I always inventory my gear before I leave. I vowed never to forget any of my gear ever again! Feeling foolish really sucks! Good Reprieve!

the thing you will probably get crap for is the beer sitting on your snare head. Those glasses sweat, man!

you think i cared?!! haha

nah, for me, its more about the music that it is the musicians.
im not the type to have 10 cymbals and loads of toms, not really into my rudiments or drum solos either. not that i dont try to buy decent stuff.

so maybe for me it wasnt so bad as for some of you guys. different situations too.

it sounded..... well..... almost like playing the rim of a drum actually, just higher pitched. certainly no sustain!

Necessity certainly is the mother of invention. You certainly lived up to a drummers creed,anything to make it work. I'm surprised the store wouldn't sell you any cymbals, if they let you in then they should have served you plus they would have gotten full pop for the sale. Shame on them. I have set up purposely in a laconic fashion and indeed it it does teach you a few things. Good story. I know of a few musicians that would make you set up that way permanently.

well done

I hear those new Istanbul hand-hammered Turkish baking trays have a nice dry and clicky sound to them...

Exposed!

I do that all the time don't worry....

Too funny! Way to be resourceful, though. You might get some crap here for it, but I doubt it...the thing you will probably get crap for is the beer sitting on your snare head. Those glasses sweat, man!

EXACTLY what caught my eye in horror! Other than that WAY TO GO Dude, nice thinking outside the box, that would have been a gig to attend for sure.

Briliant !!
I think that is brilliant , i like the thought of drummers now a days rely on gear to make them sound good so if you havn't got the gear it really shows the musician in you i think thats a great idea,
Take any rock/metal drummer and put them on a simple 4 peice kit and see how they get on i don't think they would get on that well lol !

Props for pulling it off.

I would have been pissed if it were my wedding though.

haha cheers mate.

i dont think they ever realised though. we werent on too late so i think we got away with playing not so loud.

and beer as a muffler? erm.... i dont get it

Back