Audix I5 vs Shure SM57 comparison video

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
Here is a little video I made of the 2 different mics on my snare. I have some solo tracks, and some with the full drum tracks. I show with no EQ/Compression and also with a full mix.

They are similar but there are some subtle difference that stand out to me. I used the same takes, and muted one mic and then used the take with the other mic so there are no differences in the playing, heads, tuning etc.

I just tuned up the MCX and those toms are sounding good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlvhQGmDVqM

Not familiar with the Audix I5.
(I'd like a Sennheiser 421), but one of the best sounding snare mic's -
SM57 w/Tape Op mod.

I made a video on this about 7 years ago. Too bad my snare was tuned kinda shitty at the time.

Haha very similar ideas forsure. my snare and toms were tuned pretty good

Not familiar with the Audix I5.
(I'd like a Sennheiser 421), but one of the best sounding snare mic's -
SM57 w/Tape Op mod.

I5 is VERY similar to the SM57, SO close that if you owned one, I wouldn't tell someone to go buy the other. But for buying new there are some slight differences. You can get a much different sound by using EQ, gates, compression, verb, than another really similar mic.

I prefer the I5, only because it has a slightly more EQ'd sound with a bit more punch.

Good video. I have both and prefer the i5 simply because of the capsule. It is not weak like the SM57 capsule and screen.

That's a good point. It is more solid. I have hit mine with a FEW sticks lol.

I also prefer the look of the I5 as well. I am a function over form guy so it is very minimal, and I will always choose sound,price, and usability before looks, but it still counts for something.

I'm pretty sure I'll always prefer a 57 on the snare until something is head-and-shoulders better for about the same price. This feeling happened to me whenever I heard an Audix D6 on a kick for the first time. I feel like that mic dethroned my AKG D112.

The D6 is amazing. It just "works"

I should do another side by side of these two with different snares and tunings, because there have been a few times the I5 has made more of a difference than the SM57... I always felt it had a bit more punch, and cut a bit more mids making it almost an EQ'd sound like the D6 does.

Back