Dire Straits- Sultans of swing time sig

I went to a Omar Hakim clinic last year and he said he replaced dire strait drummer on the brothers in arms album which was recorded on an island in the atlantic (azores?) while the guy was being treated in Holland for health problems.

Is it possible he also wrote the drum part to sultans ?

That man has the magic touch, what a musician !

No it isn't. Dire Straits at the Time of Sultans of Swing were relative unknowns (though very talented ones) and used no session musicians.

The drummer Omar Hakim replaced was Terry Williams during the recording on Montserrat, apparently the only bit of Terry Williams that remains on the record is the drum intro of Money For Nothing, everything else is Mr. Hakim. He was replaced not for health reasons, but more because his drumming style didn't suit the record and production rather than for health issues.

Hmm, I thought everyone knew Sultans of Swing is in 21/16 for the first 20 measures, followed by several measures in 17/8 and ending in 5/4. There's no 4/4 at all.

:D

No it isn't. Dire Straits at the Time of Sultans of Swing were relative unknowns (though very talented ones) and used no session musicians.

The drummer Omar Hakim replaced was Terry Williams during the recording on Montserrat, apparently the only bit of Terry Williams that remains on the record is the drum intro of Money For Nothing, everything else is Mr. Hakim. He was replaced not for health reasons, but more because his drumming style didn't suit the record and production rather than for health issues.

That's why I love this forum.

Thanks for the info !

Hmm, I thought everyone knew Sultans of Swing is in 21/16 for the first 20 measures, followed by several measures in 17/8 and ending in 5/4. There's no 4/4 at all.
Pretty sure the whole tune is in 1/1.

I went to a Omar Hakim clinic last year and he said he replaced dire strait drummer on the brothers in arms album which was recorded on an island in the atlantic (azores?) while the guy was being treated in Holland for health problems.

Is it possible he also wrote the drum part to sultans ?

That man has the magic touch, what a musician !

Omar did record with Dire Straits:

But on a different album.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brothers_in_Arms_(album)

then-permanent drummer Terry Williams' performance was thought unsuitable for the desired sound of the album during the first month of the recording sessions. He was therefore temporarily replaced by one of the most popular jazz session drummers of the time, Omar Hakim, who re-recorded the album's drum parts in two days and then left. Terry Williams' improvised crescendo at the beginning of "Money for Nothing" was used on the record. Williams would be back in the band for the music videos and the tour.[11]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dire_...rothers_in_Arms_era_and_international_success

drummer Terry Williams was temporarily replaced by jazz session drummer, Omar Hakim, who recorded his drum parts for the entire album during a two-day stay before leaving for other commitments.[27] Both Hakim and Williams are credited on the album,[26]

But the song Sultan's of Swing is not on that album. It was released 7 prior to Omar's involvement.

Back