Ever been compared to a celebrity / legendary drummer?

My last drum teacher compared me to Keith Moon in the energy I put into playing and also in looks. I've been told the way I actually play reminds people of Chad Smith, powerful hit's essentially. People think they hit the drums hard until they see me hit them, something deep down in my ballsack just makes it's way through and goes fucking bam.

and I'm sure at some point or another, all of us have had parallels drawn between us and well-known drummers.

Only by an idiot.

Pete Best was able to play circles around Ringo,

There's an old thread here where the 3 versions of Love Me Do were posted. Pete Best, Ringo and Andy White. If Best could play circles around anyone, he certainly didn't display it on that track. No drive, no spark and absolutely no authority at all. If that track was any indication of his overall ability to drive a band, it's easy to see why the decision was made to pass on him. Worth a listen if you can find it. They definitely made the right call.

Last edited:
Only by an idiot.

There's an old thread here where the 3 versions of Love Me Do were posted. Pete Best, Ringo and Andy White. If Best could play circles around anyone, he certainly didn't display it on that track. No drive, no spark and absolutely no authority at all. If that track was any indication of his overall ability to drive a band, it's easy to see why the decision was made to pass on him. Worth a listen if you can find it. They definitely made the right call.

Then I might have heard wrong because I heard that he was too far on the scale towards the likes of Buddy Rich but didn't really know how to keep a good beat like Ringo. If I remember what I heard correctly, I think I heard that when it came to playing simple stuff, he didn't have what it takes. He was better at playing complicated, fancy stuff. I guess the music didn't inspire him to play resulting in kind of a lifeless, uninspired feeling behind it. I would guess that he wasn't really into it because it wasn't really his thing. That's if I'm remembering what I heard correctly, or if I was wasn't given incorrect information. I mean, I mostly remember hearing that Pete Best was just not good at simple beats and wanted to do fancier, harder to play stuff. I wonder if Love Me Do was mind-numbing and boring for him.

The guitarist for the second to last band i was in had a tendency to say that i reminded him of a young Buddy Rich. Great compliment, but completely false. Stemmed from the fact that though he was a fine drummer in his own right, my technique was much better than his and i could play much faster than he could. Very good guitarist, played in time had a great sense of groove and came up with good ideas. I used to have fun jamming with him both of us on acoustics and just wailing away playing with scales and chord substitutions (we met at the conservatory, lot of theory being shoved down our throats and jamming was a great way to make sense of it.) My Grandfather always used to say i sounded like Gene Krupa. A much better compliment IMHO. As to the veracity of those statements I can say for sure there's nothing in it.

Kenny Aronoff. I know my playing is not on his level so I can only assume I bob my head like a chicken when I play. :)

A guitarist friend one reckoned that my playing had tinges of Keith Moon.

Which just goes to prove that most guitarists are bats**t crazy!

I've had people compare me to Portnoy before, and I wish I knew what era they meant so I know whether to feel great or immediately drive to Taco Bell and order all of the things out of sadness.

That would be sad, sorry.

I've never been compared to anybody. Now I'm sad too.

What's for dinner?

Hmmm...

i try to keep in mind that most ppl only want to make conversation and often come up with the only (drummer) they can think of.

even bandmates can come up with something completely far afield from what's actually going on with your playing.

if one played Stratus perfectly and even threw in a little "Wipe Out" just for fun...the comment would probably be..."You remind me of the drummer in that 60's song...you know...the one with all the drums".

i keep grains of salt at the ready for Comments.

I've had people compare me to Portnoy before, and I wish I knew what era they meant so I know whether to feel great or immediately drive to Taco Bell and order all of the things out of sadness.

I've never laughed so hard at a joke I didn't get.

Thank you. I needed that.

*insert picture of me rolling on the floor laughing*

Yeah, when I was in a student band this guy compared me to sb, but I forget who!!!! It was a long time ago!!!! Soz.

TJ

Britchops Drum Tuition

www.britchops.co.uk

Funny enough, I was rockin out at a local SamAsh about a month ago and a gentleman walked up to me and said "You played like Derek Roddy"!
I guess he didn't recognize me. Haha.

D

That's quite funny, and reminds me of something I thought was quite embarrassing that happened to me.

We were holding a Dave Weckl Band show and I was on the door selling tickets and stamping people. Dave shows up at that door (he must have gone around the back) and I totally didn't recognise him. Of course, when I realised later that it was actually Dave I felt quite silly :D.

The only comparisons I can really recall are when other musicians (drummers or otherwise) have compared my style and sound (not necessarily my ability :) to Virgil Donati. Which to me is a huge compliment, considering Virgil is my biggest influence with Jason Rullo coming a close second.

Verdamnt! I tried to make this my signature, but no go. A good giggle nonetheless:)

Back