Speaking of Bonham....

Bruce M. Thomson

Gold Member
There always seems to be some discussion about recording drums, in an article I read it stated that Bonham often used only four mics; 2 overhead and one for the Bass drum and one for the snare/Hi-Hat. it saved time and put more of the drum sound in and less recording tech. I have also read that it is best to mic the Bass drum around a meter and a half away, that way you actually hear the drum in it's fullness, allowing the drum to resonate the low frequency which requires a distance. Anyway here is an article on how to record your drums with four microphones

http://homerecording.about.com/od/recordingtutorials/a/glyn_johns.htm

Last edited:
.....Bonham always used only four mics;

Almost always a bad thing to do, saying "always", case in point, the recording of When The Levee Breaks...The famous drum performance was recorded by engineer Andy Johns by placing Bonham and a new drumkit at the bottom of a stairwell at Headley Grange, and recording it using two Beyerdynamic M160 microphones at the top, giving the distinctive resonant but slightly muffled sound.[5][6] Back in the Rolling Stones' mobile studio, Johns compressed the drum sound through two channels and added echo through guitarist Jimmy Page's Binson echo unit.[3] The performance was made on a brand new drum kit that had only just been delivered from the factory.

Point taken; but still, not an overindulgence of over micing at it's best. I have made the change.

Thanks
Actually an under-indulgence, if anything. Sometimes "less is more". Some of the best sounding live club gigs I've ever played were when the sound guy knew to "leave well enough alone.

Actually an under-indulgence, if anything. Sometimes "less is more". Some of the best sounding live club gigs I've ever played were when the sound guy knew to "leave well enough alone.
Thank you, thank you for that!! I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY!!

Less is MORE!!

I think I still have the article on Bonham's recording technique, it was used as an example for a point the author was making. I could scan and email it out to you if you wish?
sure send it on ....thanks....email is in my contact info.

Back