If you could research any drummer...

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
...who would it be? Deceased, living, whatever. Who would you like to spend time researching, studying and writing about and why?

The very first drummer, Og. What was THAT guy thinking?

I'd be interested in who came up with the initial rudiments. Who was the first person in history to pick up a pair of pieces of wood and do flams, paradiddles, doubles, single stroke rolls and realize they were playing repeatable patterns?

That would be military drummers.Thet played certain rudements to help field commanders communicate with their troops over long distances..,so they knew when to charge,double time,retreat ect.

Steve B

I've studied Niel Peart not for his drumming so much as his life. He's a facinating man with a very interesting story to tell.

I went to the drum camp in Cleveland last month, where I spent a day each with Virgil, Chris Coleman, Weckl and DiCenso.

I took a lot of things from that camp but one little thing I think I can see for myself is:

After hearing them talk about how much & what they practiced, who they played with etc etc and seeing the result, no amount of research or explanation and imitation will make you sound like them, they can't explain why they play the way they do, it's bigger than them and the proof is in their playing.

Not trying to sound like a contrarian or anything, I am just relaying something I realized for myself.

I got the new Mats/Morgan album and I've been listening to Morgan Agren. He is a very interesting player, but my only research is just to listen and soak it up subconciously.

Last edited:
The very first drummer, Og. What was THAT guy thinking?

Pshh....he was just a cheap copy of Thag. Now THAT guy was a monster!!

Me real answer is James "Peck" Curtis. An early blues drummer with a jerky, syncopated style. Known for jamming on pots and pans and whatever else may be available. He was the drummer on the King Biscuit Time show out of Helena, Ark. There are precious few recordings of him and there isn't a lot of information on him, but I think he is truly a pioneer in the world of blues drumming that doesn't get nearly enough attention.

Interesting question. I don't know if there's one guy I'd pick to learn so much about. I like to take bits and pieces from several things and put them together.
I'll pick Stewart Copeland. I have a really hard time trying to grove like him. Maybe I'd find something that would teach me how to play like that.

Back