taking care of your body

jake_larson

Hey everybody I am only 18 but I plan on drumming til i drop, so anyway I want to ask what are someways you guys have taken care of your body so you dont have back problems, wrist problems, etc? (like workouts, foods to eat, and even equipment).
Thanks in advance

Hi Jake, i just read about Phil Collins and it makes me even more concerned about playing. I think posture is probably the most important. Phil used to sing while playing, which I think contributed to his injuries. When I sing from behind the kit I really have to contort to reach the mic. I guess a headset mic would be better, but I could never get used to it.

It might sound silly but I also kind of shy away from traditional grip, because I always remember meeting old drummers who were permanently crooked - always dropping their left shoulder to get a better angle on the snare.

I think every drummer can benefit from Jo Jo Mayer's DVD "Master Secrets". He covers so many aspects of the "economy of motion" and there is a great animation of how your playing can damage your body if you don't get out of the way of impact. Essential info for every drummer.

I'm a big proponent of eating only unprocessed food like it's found in nature, (meats, veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, whole grains etc.) drink lotsa water and tea, don't do tobacco, don't drink alcohol, and don't overdo the caffiene. Eat as little sugar and white flour as you can.
I also recommend getting the omegas in your diet (fish oil is one source)
don't overdo vitamins, 1 multi a day is enough, and an aspirin a day is good preventive maintenance. Oh and psycillium husks for fiber is great, keeps everything moving along nicely.

Hey Jake,

Take my advice from a 52 year old drummer-- exercise, exercise, exercise!

At about 30-35 something your bod will start gaining fat (if you're not careful) and it will go downhill from there if you don't start trying to stay in shape. Been there, done that!

Up until you reach about 28 years old, you still feel and act "9 feet tall and bulletproof". Drumming is a great way to KEEP in shape, but you have to GET in shape to maintain a certain level, which is way easier than getting fat and bloated, then trying to reform. (Ever seen a "previously fat" person after they went on a crash diet and exercise program? NOT pretty.
I have a few vices, but do them in MODERATION, and do counter-effective measures--if you drink, chug a couple gallons of cranberry juice a week, if you smoke, cut it down to a few a day and run/speedwalk 10-30 miles a week, if you have a desk job or not (which I don't) stretch every single day and keep your spine springy and loose.

Other than that, use your best judgement on the amount and types of food you consume. You only live once, so make the best of it.

Wish I was your age again-- I'd have done a few things different to make it easier in my middle age years!

Rock on.

Cheers,
C. P.

(PS) My dad is 92 years old, still drumming (in two bands) and kicks ass--hope that's what I'll still be doing at his age!

Hey everybody I am only 18 but I plan on drumming til i drop, so anyway I want to ask what are someways you guys have taken care of your body so you dont have back problems, wrist problems, etc? (like workouts, foods to eat, and even equipment).
Thanks in advance

Dont laugh, but for me its WIng Chun Kung Fu. Since Ive started training it daily Ive benefitted from better posture, more efficient movement, clearer mind and all that other stuff I used to think the Chinese were insane for believing :)

Protect those ears ! After that first priority,learn proper technique from a teacher or some of the latest videos. Your posture and grip are extremely important - it helps to practice in front of a mirror to check yourself. If your twisting and uncomfortable, that's your body warning you something ain't right.

I personally have found swimming to be a great excercise to help with muscle strengthing and of course the cardio benefits. It's never too early or too late to start taking care of yourself.

Good posture and technique. I'm only 23, but I'm already suffering for my ignorance and stupidity. Don't grip the sticks too tight, don't tense up, don't hit to hard unless you have the technique for it. Even if you feel invincible now, you will regret your mistakes when you get older. Learn to limit yourself. Raise your seat so that your knees never go higher than your pelvis(even when theyre on pedals).

Great comments, everyone! I would add to always keep yourself hydrated (with WATER), and always be examining your set-up to see that each part of it is in a position that allows your body to use its natural, relaxed positions. If you force your body to spend a lot of time reaching, contorting, tensing up, or defying gravity, it's going to rebel.

Hi all,

Besides being a drummer, I am a practitioner of Hindu Martial Art Kalarippayatt (the mother of all Kung-fu and most oriental martial arts).
I also practice and teach Yoga.
Those are very good practices to stay strong yet supple and have endurance.
I have done a gig that lasted more than 40 hours non stop, back in 2001, as a tribute to my mentor Phil Collins (playing all Genesis and His solo stuff), in aid of UK charity Children In Need, and believe it or not all I had after that was one tiny blister on my right hand, and no body pains, cramps or anything! Just pure energy!

Working your prana/chi with pranayam (special yogic breath control techniques) helps a lot too.

Healthy diet is most important. I am Vegan, do not consume alcohol, do not smoke and do not take drugs/intoxicants of any kind.

Btw, about Phil Collins, it is not a spinal injury that He's got, or posture related problems, as wrongly said in press, but He has problems following an op to re-aligne some vertebreas in His neck that got dislocated on the Genesis tour in 2007. These ops on neck are very tricky and take a long time to recover from. At the moment He has trouble with gripping properly and when sitting at kit or piano, but it may improve over time, with physio, rest, and healthy lifestyle.

Phildas

just exercise and stretch everyday - it does'nt matter what your doing, just do something - everything from weights and cardio to martial arts to yoga and all the stuff in between, and only because it has'nt been mentioned yet - try swimming, it's low impact and is a lot better work out than people would guess...

i wake up early and stretch, go for a 15 min. walk and stretch again, then do a little kung Fu on my own and mix in a little weight training in between...

and what Concrete Pete said about the 28 year mark, its true ;-)

Back