cant get my snare to stop rattling when i hit my 10" tom!

D

Daeoux98

Hi,

on my hit i use a 14" snare, 10" tom, 14"tom and every time i hit the 10 inch the snare rattles, to only way i can get rid of it is to tune the snare really low, and i hate that!

i like it high pitched.
and i tune my toms as low as i can without starting to get ripples in the head from it being to loose.

i use a remo powerstroke 3 on the snare and evans g plus tom heads
what should i do?

thanks.

Thicker snare head on the bottom and better snare wires help, like puresound.

Those things greatly reduce the sympathetic buzz.

I just read about these wires, which may help. Try out the Puresound Equalizer snare wires:

http://store.daddario.com/category/114781

They are supposed to help reduce sympathetic vibrations, while also providing a crisper snare sound.

Compared to the standard snares you might get on most sub $400 snares, the puresound are all soldered more solidly, and don't buzz the same way. The EQ's will work fine.

The surest way to reduce snare buzz is to use snare wires with fewer strands. I've tried this and it works. None of my snares has more than 16-strand snare wires.

Years ago snare drums came with 12, 14, or 16 strand snare wires; the adoption of the 20-strand snare wire is relatively recent.

Using fewer strands also lets more of the drum's tone through.

See here and here.

You can also try tuning the offending tom(s) differently or the snare. You can also try detuning (i.e., loosening) the tension rods adjacent to the snare wires on the snare side head.

i had the excat same problem with my 10" tom.

My snares were 20 strands, so i cut 4 off (now 16) and its much better. Although i didnt just cut 2 from each side, it was a pattern: 4 snares - 2 cut - 8 snares - 2 cut - 4 snares. Sounds great :)

The surest way to reduce snare buzz is to use snare wires with fewer strands. I've tried this and it works. None of my snares has more than 16-strand snare wires.

Years ago snare drums came with 12, 14, or 16 strand snare wires; the adoption of the 20-strand snare wire is relatively recent.

Using fewer strands also lets more of the drum's tone through.

See here and here.

You can also try tuning the offending tom(s) differently or the snare. You can also try detuning (i.e., loosening) the tension rods adjacent to the snare wires on the snare side head.

After watching those Gatzen videos, I get the feeling that he would shudder at the use of those 42-strand wires on Dunnett snares and others (e.g., the 6.5x14 Mapex Walnut). I know jazzers like Jeff Hamilton use 16-strand wires--nothing more.

I've noticed that the amount of sympathetic buzz I hear from my snares, and from which drum it's generated, greatly depends on the room I'm in. Usually the larger the room, the less problem. Even very live venue rooms don't give me much trouble, but my bedroom is always a problem.

MY solution to sympathetic buzz is to use stronger ear protection ;)
Can't hear it, not bothered by it.

Back