Floor Tom

My "floor toms" are suspended from my V-rack.

I guess I could say I love them in a platonic way.

I love floor toms. I like it when I switch back to a 1 up 2 down and then for the first session on the new set up I never fill using the rack tom. I just get used to having 2 floors again and I love it.

I like doing triplety stuff with the bass drum and floors.

Floor toms rule. I love doing double bass sounding stuff between my floor tom and bass drum.

Who doesn't?! :) But...you should ask Karl Crafton to post his latest pic of his Ludwig Red Sparkle Kit up here w/ all of his floor toms set up.

SICK!! Karl....post 'em bud!! :)

Yes sir I love floor toms. 16x16 is of course my favorite. Especially love to play timpani-like rolls on the edge. I try to tune the rezo head to compliment the bass drum too. I now fly a china cymbal off the floor tom leg which is a great innovation.

I also have a 14x11 floor tom that I use and I'm amazed how low and punchy I can get with that one. I tried it up top in front of the snare and it was OK but down low in the floor tom position is where that drum just kills.

My floor tom is 16x14 (largest) it has the same low end as any standard 18" floor tom, but retains the punch of a 16". That is one advantage I enjoy of metal, the rigidity and resonance.

Most definitely loving floor toms. I find myself wanting to move from my two rack, one floor setup to one rack, two floors. It's a shame Sonor discontinued the Force 3005 series, or I'd probably just get another floor tom to keep all options open.

I definitely like floor toms a lot!
My favorite is 14x16. I get better tone and cleaner multiple strokes, but still the same fatness as the 16x16.

I always use 3. one on the hat side, and the usual "2 down".

I have been known to use 4....but honestly, if I had the room I'd have 3 on each side (like a L hand, R hand 14-16, 16-18, 18-20).
OR, I wouldn't mind 14-16-18 on each side with my 8x12 rack tom.
Darn that stage space!!!

Here's the 4 floor toms (Left side)14-16, (Right side) 16-18. I did use them all.

OverheadRS.jpg

Right now I have a 8x12, 12x 14, 14x16 set up with a 13x15 on the hat side.

Elliotdrummer7227:
Seven is cool, fun to watch. Thanks for the links.
Check out Vic Foxx too, if you like that kind of playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI_Cj9tqU0I&feature=related

He is in the Veronicas these days, but he's been around a while.
He was in Enuff Z Nuff in the late 80's early 90's, then with Vince Neil and then various projects.

There's a related link of a VN solo, but I have a dvd of him in anther concert and he goes nuts with the twirling, flipping the sticks, double twirls etc...

It's nothing that is setting the drum world ablaze, but it's really fun to watch.

Have an originally purchased 1964 Ludwig DB silver sparkle kit which currently sports two 14" and one 16" floor toms. Hope to find an 18-incher Luddy sometime in the future!

Our originally bought '83 Tama Superstar, super-mahogany set came with an 18" floor tom which thunders like there's no tomorrow! We also added a 16" to the set, but also would like to find a 14-incher of the same color finish.
Too bad a 20" floor tom that recently sold in e-bay got away from us, tho...

-elcid

Too bad a 20" floor tom that recently sold in e-bay got away from us, tho...
-elcid

Oh, that's a bummer man...someone got a cool drum.

Hopefully, it was for a matching colored set and not just for "a 20" floor tom" and they're gonna change the finish.
Sucks either way since you were looking for one, but somehow having someone change a finish would be worse...I wouldn't want to know....

Back