Ludwig Breakbeats vs. Sonor Player kit

Rezn8

Hi- been a few years since logging on but now I am looking for advice on gear. No better place than here...

I've read through older posts on small kits but there's not much out there on this comparison in particular:

Ludwig (QuestLove) Breakbeat shell pack vs Sonor Player shell pack.

In use-
My trio has been hosting Open Mic/ Jam sessions at a local club, and a Cajon is a lot of fun and a breeze for load ins, but was just not cutting it for all the different types of music ...

So I've been using brushes and HotRods on a kick/snare/hat set up which led me to thinking it might be time for a little kit.

Pros and Cons? Preferences? Thanks in advance for your opinions! Keep on playing!

I think Larry has the sonor and he loves it.

Sonor have been doing the affordable bop kit for much longer, are you aware of the safari or jungle? They are more like the ludwig because they have a 16.

The 20x12 on the players kit will be the biggest point of difference. Pretty sure both snares will be about as useful as a condom with a hole in it.

I've played the ludwig at a few jam nights and it was fine, that's my only experience.

They're both good for your application, the Breakbeats especially are much smaller and easier to move around. However, I have found the Sonor stuff is built much better (I've owned and used both the Safari and Bop kits, and the construction, and attention to detail is outstanding). I've also had the Breakbeats and while cool, the little bass drum lift it comes with doesn't quite work out well with the metal bass drum hoops.

I think Larry has the sonor and he loves it.

Sonor have been doing the affordable bop kit for much longer, are you aware of the safari or jungle? They are more like the ludwig because they have a 16.

The 20x12 on the players kit will be the biggest point of difference. Pretty sure both snares will be about as useful as a condom with a hole in it.

I've played the ludwig at a few jam nights and it was fine, that's my only experience.

I just got done about playing over an hour on my Sonor Players kit. It's been exactly a year since I got them, and I like them more now than I did when I bought it, which is saying a lot. They're just so much fun to play, and the tone is deep and punchy. I did ISO mount the rack tom, that's the only mod I did, besides my preferred heads.

I like the Sonors a lot better than the Breakbeats I tried at GC. They are just so much better built, and they sound so much better to me. I even love the wrap, it's badass looking.

Like Duck Tape says - the biggest, immediate difference is the bass drum size.
16" vs. 20" diameter is going to be very noticeable.

I've tried the Breakbeats and thought they were a fun set to play, and sounded pretty good.
Haven't had a chance to try the Player kit yet.
If Ludwig made a Breakbeats type kit with an 18" bass drum, I'd probably have one.

I don't know that the Players kit is available anymore. I searched Sam Ash website and it came up empty.

I don't know that the Players kit is available anymore. I searched Sam Ash website and it came up empty.

My Sam Ash in City of Industry, CA still has one on the floor. I'll bet they'll make a deal with shipping if you wAnt one.

Thanks again for all your useful comments! After reviewing both kits first hand, I ended up purchasing the Sonor Player kit. It was a tough call, honestly I believe both kits are a great 'bang for your buck,' but upon close inspection - the durability and quality of the Sonor kit overall - was the deciding factor.

For the kick, I put an Aquarian Superkick I on the batter and an unported Regulator on the reso side. The only thing inside the bass drum is air. Sounds killer!

The kit sounded great during practice Monday night - will report back after the gig tonight. Will leave the toms behind until the new heads arrive...

Also debating whether to even bother modding the snare. Tried to sell it back to the store but then we both just laughed at that idea. The Breakbeat snare was a bit more useable but that's all I'll say about that.

Cheers

Thanks again for all your useful comments! After reviewing both kits first hand, I ended up purchasing the Sonor Player kit. It was a tough call, honestly I believe both kits are a great 'bang for your buck,' but upon close inspection - the durability and quality of the Sonor kit overall - was the deciding factor.

For the kick, I put an Aquarian Superkick I on the batter and an unported Regulator on the reso side. The only thing inside the bass drum is air. Sounds killer!

The kit sounded great during practice Monday night - will report back after the gig tonight. Will leave the toms behind until the new heads arrive...

Also debating whether to even bother modding the snare. Tried to sell it back to the store but then we both just laughed at that idea. The Breakbeat snare was a bit more useable but that's all I'll say about that.

Cheers
You made the right choice w/the Player Kit. Very well made and easy to transport. I love the bass drum which really punches through, plenty of low end. Sonor still makes these kits, but Sam Ash no longer has an exclusive. I bought a slightly used one in mint condition.

I tweaked the stock snare by changing just the heads- top, Vintage Ambassador and reso, Hazy Ambassador. It sounds pretty good, just don't over-tighten it and allow it to breathe a bit. The VA gives it a bit more depth than a regular Ambassador.

The toms really cut through well if you change out those heads as well, but don't use over-muffled heads.

20 x 12 is a great size drum. I love the punch. It doesn't have the magnitude of a 22 x whatever, but it beats the snot out of the breakbeats kick hands down.

I'm growing very fond of the small size of that kit. I'm used to a 22" bass drum. Never had a 20" bass drum set up....ever. Except for this last year. There's a huge difference in perception from the throne. I feel like I dominate it more than my bigger kits.

IMO you made the best choice. Many happy returns man.

Back