What do you think about/focus on when you're drumming?

Every bass hit, and every snare hit. That's all I hear. Everything else is non-essential. As long as I can hear the main driving force of the beat, that's all I need.

I listen to the bass player primarily - the goal being to lock in and make the groove solid.

I listen to the other musicians as well and my focus does vary throughout a gig (sometimes a cutey is tying to get your attention, sometimes a drunk a-hole is trying to pick a fight with the singer, sometimes the lighting explodes) but I always come back to the bass line.

That's my focal point.

during practice, i listen to the other members, lock in with the bass, and listen to the vox. i think about my parts and try out different stuff to see how they work in a song, so it won't go stale for me or the other members.

on stage, i think about food, getting a drink after the set, girlies in the audience, hoping the house kit doesn't fall apart midsong, as well as listening for variations the other members might've thrown in for some reason or another. i find that concentrating too much on what i'm supposed to play on stage, if the hihat is on time and so on, just messes me up. that's what practice is for...playing a song so many times through and knowing it inside and out, with the same members, that one should be able to "be free" enough to toss in variations, yet still be locked in tight as a group.

Do you listen mainly to the hi-hat?? Your overall sound? The tempo? I'm interested in hearing some responses.

thats a great question. for me its very different depending on the situation.

in practise at home its focusing on whatever im working on and making sure all the parts fit together, that im relaxed, that i'm playing the right notes, that im steady with the click. and overall that it sounds like i think it should sound in my head.

rehearsing with a band its completely focused on my effect on the music, making sure what i'm playing feels right and that my choices are all made because of what the music needs. aswell as keeping strong time, not rushing or dragging and that my levels are where they should be - bass, snare, cymbals ect, aren't too loud or soft in my overall groove.

live its just feel. feeling the music as much as i can and playing with as much emotion as i can put into what im doing. getting a good connection with the guys in the band and audience... and thats it, if you rehearse the material enough the physical side is usually auto pilot.

Here's an analogy. While drumming live, if you could compare it to riding a bike, you aren't looking at your feet pedaling, you aren't looking at your hands on the handlebar, you're looking down the road ahead of you. You get as big a picture as you can.

In addition to locking in with the bass, I always try to listen to whomever has the melody in order to accompany appropriately.

I also focus on using a relaxed grip in order to keep a good groove.

Last edited:
After I learn the song, I usually don't focus. Instead, I almost go into a trance and live the groove. I guess it is sort of like feeling the music.

GJS

Back