to mic ot not to mic?

ledzepjb

Alright, so here's the deal: i have an upcoming show in an audotorium. It can hold about 500 people so its still quite large, tall cealing and the harmonics of the room arent great but i dont believe they are horrible. So ive been reading around about how micing can ruin your drum sound(especially it the mics are crap which in my case they are because they're vocal mics and the sound tech doesnt really give a damn). Now should i mic my drums? mics a a bit limited so which drums should i mic and cymbals? im playing some stuff that involves quite a bit of hats stuff aswell.

Thanks lots guys

I'm going with "yes" you should. The drums could sound great through the PA and if it doesn't mix well with everything else, the sound guy can pull the plug on you whenever is right.

My vote would be to mic it up and then see how it sounds before making a decision.

I'm going with "yes" you should. The drums could sound great through the PA and if it doesn't mix well with everything else, the sound guy can pull the plug on you whenever is right.

My vote would be to mic it up and then see how it sounds before making a decision.
That's a good idea, you can always turn it off if it doesn't work out, but you won't be setting it UP if you need it after you've started.

Absolutely mic the drums. And wield the power responsibly.

ok, thanks lots

by the way,if anyone else wants to give an opinion im still open

You don't need a lot of mics to mic up your kit live since it's gonna be a mono mix anyway. Just mic up the kick, overhead and snare and that should do you. Most types of standard dynamic mics are perfectly reasonable for live micing. You're trying to impress people with the music, not the lovely drum sound after all. But if people can't hear it then there's not much point really.

Back