How can you not be inspired by this!

I can't say I was inspired by that solo in particular (never was a fan of solos anyway), but Dom in general is definitely incredibly inspiring. He just approaches drumming with such joy, and whenever he speaks about it he combines a huge amount of knowledge and chops with the pure enthusiasm of a little kid at christmas.

I've only gotten to see him in person once, but I left with a new enthusiasm and sense of enjoyment about my instrument. I would most definitely recommend anyone to see him play if they get the chance; he really is one of a kind.

I can't say I was inspired by that solo in particular (never was a fan of solos anyway), but Dom in general is definitely incredibly inspiring. He just approaches drumming with such joy, and whenever he speaks about it he combines a huge amount of knowledge and chops with the pure enthusiasm of a little kid at christmas.

I've only gotten to see him in person once, but I left with a new enthusiasm and sense of enjoyment about my instrument. I would most definitely recommend anyone to see him play if they get the chance; he really is one of a kind.
I agree Naige, it wasn't the solo per se (I'm not a fan of solos either), it was the huge dynamic range in his playing. Going from thunder to a feather touch in a heartbeat, I think is wonderful. The same in reverse too, big explosions from almost nothing. I like his joy in the instrument too. Very infectious!

Damn glasses....always in the way.

Great solo! Energetic and full of flavor. I like all those spastic rim clicks he was doing.

To me Dom is one the greatest advocates and inspirational "drum prophets" of this generation. He seems to never have a cross word to say and always, as shown in the video clip, demonstrates his full command of the instrument - in a good way.

Agree with all said but the theatrics remind me of the drummer at the wrong gig (forgot his name- mistakenly slandered him here recently) at times. ALmost like an old Tommy Lee in a suit instead of his usual thong.

Drumming is incredible. Even adds a couple stick tricks. I am in awe of his level of control. I can see how a person might get to this stage if you played as long as Don has too.

That solo was a lesson in dynamics 101.It dosen't have to be pure speed and volume all the time to be a good solo.I thought it was pretty musical,and visually entertaining also.

Thanks for posting that Andy.:)

Steve B

That solo was a lesson in dynamics 101.It dosen't have to be pure speed and volume all the time to be a good solo.I thought it was pretty musical,and visually entertaining also.

Steve B
Thanks all for the responses. Dynamics, yes Steve, you put your finger right on it. I stumbled across this video. I'm a huge fan of the use of dynamics. Maybe it's to make up for my lack of skills in other areas, I don't know, but this video displays perfectly just what a powerful tool they are.

It is very inspiring :)

... amazing playing by an amazing drummer, dynamics, feel, personality, humor, musicality, touch, chops, skills, emotions... everything's there in spades, straight to my favorite :)

I absolutely love his style, solid groove with freakish elements! I do however, feel that the cymbal-over-double bass playing gets a bit excessive.

That was inspirational. I don't look at a performance like that as "a drum solo". That was the learned professor .... addressing his class.​

A great solo has contrasts. Too much of the same thing, however amazing, and the ear starts to tune it out. This has contrasts in dynamics, in speed, in content. Just when you think you know what is next he does something different. This keeps the ear engaged. I'm sure there are folks out there who can do sustained fast double bass work smoother or even faster. But very few of them can tell a story like this. Thanks for turning me on to this guy.

Well, I'm not inspired by the video.

Only because I have seen him do that in person!

Haha.

Dom is a beyond skilled soloist, and one heck of a nice person if you ever have the chance to meet him in person.

I remember living in Philly and I went to as many clinics as I could. There were a lot more clinics in the 80 and early 90's then there are now. If you would be willing to drive a little bit into the burbs and other little towns you could literally catch about 2 to 3 clinics a month. I would go see Rod Morgenstein one night and check out Billy Cobham the next week. I could go see the Dregs and bands like that, and yes even buddy rich's band in the 70's or Peter Erskine playing with Maynard Fergueson. So one night a friend of mine says man you should go see this guy tonight he's doing a clinic. Dom Famularo. I was like who!!

Whow, he did a great clinic. and man if you ever have seen him play double bass you know what I'm talking about. They guy just shredded forever. It was really awesome. Way beyond my playing at the time. I've known Dom for years and yes as many have said he's a really nice guy too.

Dom changed my drumming life. I can't express how much I owe this guy.

I studied with him back in 2004-2005. He must have seen something in me because he took me under his wing and after about a dozen lessons with him, he contacted Mike Mangini for me and told Mike that he simply had to take me on for lessons. Mike allowed me to study privately with him at Berklee even though he already had a packed teaching schedule and just had a kid. It was Dom's referral after his assessment of where I was and where I needed to go that convinced Mangini to take me on.

I met and actually had a 3 hour lesson with Jim Chapin because of Dom. Dom is also largely responsible for bringing Chapin/Moeller to the masses over the past 20 years. He was the one behind Chapin's hand technique video years back.

Dom is ultra cool, has a wife 17 years his junior (like me) and is just a great example of how to live. Ethical, personable, hard working and happy. A great combo.

Steve B

Dom changed my drumming life. I can't express how much I owe this guy.

I studied with him back in 2004-2005. He must have seen something in me because he took me under his wing and after about a dozen lessons with him, he contacted Mike Mangini for me and told Mike that he simply had to take me on for lessons. Mike allowed me to study privately with him at Berklee even though he already had a packed teaching schedule and just had a kid. It was Dom's referral after his assessment of where I was and where I needed to go that convinced Mangini to take me on.

I met and actually had a 3 hour lesson with Jim Chapin because of Dom. Dom is also largely responsible for bringing Chapin/Moeller to the masses over the past 20 years. He was the one behind Chapin's hand technique video years back.

Dom is ultra cool, has a wife 17 years his junior (like me) and is just a great example of how to live. Ethical, personable, hard working and happy. A great combo.
Wow Jeff, you've done some stuff :) Of course, I've never met Dom, but it's easy to pick up his lovely personality from just a few video clips. That tells me he is indeed a very balanced & warm man.

Met him here at a clinic and he talked to me like he had known me forever. Played a similar piece as this video displaying not only his talent but showing just what can be done with a drum set. In the audience showing his awe for the skills was John Blackwell, just shaking his head with every little stroke. Was a great night. Thanks for that one Andy.

Back