Horn bands playing in the COLD

We have a gig booked on New Years Eve. It'll be outdoors, and the temp could be anywhere from 10-30*F.

My horn section is worried about tuning issues. We're on the hunt for space heaters, but would love some tips. Any of you have cold-weather life hacks?

Playing the drums when it's really cold is the worst. I try to "warm up" by moving around and running and what not, and it can help, but not really, because it's my fingers that stay or get cold again really fast. Makes them feel numb and slow. Gloves are out for me, but if I didn't live in CA, I might consider something thin like golf gloves.

While freezing my fingers off. Well actually on to my alto sax I looked over at the guitar players who had hair dryers duct taped to their mic stands. Thanks for telling me how cold it was going to be down here by the river. Thanks a lot.

Brrrrr!!

December!!!!!

shelly-beach.jpg

They should be worried about their lips sticking to the mouthpiece! (sax/clarinet players are exempt)

Trumpet valves can freeze stuck, so they need plenty of oil to displace water/condensation. Plastic mouthpieces work well on trumpet and trombone - not as cold as silver/brass.
The pitch of wind instruments will go flat in the cold. String instruments will go sharp. Best option for brass is to keep hugging the instrument and blowing warm air through it.

Why is that?

I'm not arguing, just genuinely curious to know.

Seat-of-the-pants guess... :D

Speed of sound is slower at lower temperatures.
This means for the same length of tube it has lower resonant frequency as the sound takes a longer time.

Edit: Just found this that may explain it better:
Speed of sound - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Sound/souspe.html
Resonances of open air columns- http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Waves/opecol.html

I'm not all that worried about my hands. I did enough freezing marching band rehearsals that I can play fairly well with painfully cold hands.

My trumpet player just remembered that he has a plastic trumpet from a while back. Not as good as his main horn, but it might hold pitch a little better. The plastic mouth piece idea is great. I'll make sure to spread the word if they haven't thought of it already.

We laughed our asses off at the blow dryer comment. I can only imagine how fantastic our hair will look too.

I know the production company that is providing the stage rig and they're pros, so hopefully they have some tricks up their sleeve already.

Well. If it's really cold it certainly isn't good for the instruments.

Valves get stuck.

Brass players could use a couple of warmer bags(minus 10 C and I give you 2 songs maximum), clarinet players should definetly use their plastic one for this. Sax players get away with it, but pads get stuck.

Gloves obviously, with cut off fingers if necessary.

"Sticky Valves", now that would be a great name for a brass web site. :)

Wear a hat, Pocket warmers (those that stick on body and toes) and a flask of scotch or fireball cinnamon whiskey for a little pick me up-don't worry you'll shiver away any alcohol but perhaps it will coat their lips for some protection.

A little alcohol in the valve oil, perhaps?

Unless I'm misunderstanding the chemistry, alcohol won't mix with valve oil.

A thinner oil would work, but if it's getting that cold that oil getting sludgey is a problem, might one suggest retiring indoors might be in order.

Or move to somewhere less frickin' miserable

No votes for having space heaters? We did that for a big show here at the Happiest Place on Earth....we put down space heaters for some string players, everybody was happy.

Nope, I'm not having it. Horn players chose their misery - now they have to live with it. Stick your tongue on the monkey bars and play! ;-)

We have a gig booked on New Years Eve. It'll be outdoors, and the temp could be anywhere from 10-30*F.

My horn section is worried about tuning issues. We're on the hunt for space heaters, but would love some tips. Any of you have cold-weather life hacks?

That gig better pay well. LOL

Tune after the horns come to temperature, whether indoors or out. Don't waste time tuning then going out into the cold.

Back