12" DW Tom Appraisal - Suggestion Please

johnbarnesiii

Hello,

I'd like to sell this 12" tom and wanted suggestions for pricing.

Specs:
DW 12"x8" rack tom (badge # 008459)
This is from a late 80s/early 90s DW black&gold badge, black wrap finish, maple shell with re-rings. Number 2637 stamped inside shell. I think its a keller shell but not 100% sure.

I restored this drum to a near new quality. I had the top bearing edge professionally refinished, I purchased all brand new t-rods, as well as brand new Remo heads (Ambassador bottom, Emperor top), though the drum has been since played on a little. I also upgraded to the DW STM mount, which I purchased as a special order from DW in black to match the finish.

Also would I get more by listing the STM mount and Tom as 2 separate listings?

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Attachments

• DW TOM I.jpg
    DW TOM I.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 475
  • DW TOM II.jpg
    DW TOM II.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 523
  • DW TOM III.jpg
    DW TOM III.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 390
  • DW TOM IV.jpg
    DW TOM IV.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 473
  • DW TOM V.jpg
    DW TOM V.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 457
  • DW TOM VI.jpg
    DW TOM VI.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 482
Thanks Mike. There is no date just the number. This was before DW started doing the born-on thing. Any idea what I should sell it for, both with & without the STM?

It's going to be a hard item to sell.

Not many people are going to want a random 12" tom unless it matches their kit. And most people who are looking for an add-on tom already have a 12".

ebay is flooded with random orphan toms these days.

It's going to be a hard item to sell.

Not many people are going to want a random 12" tom unless it matches their kit. And most people who are looking for an add-on tom already have a 12".

ebay is flooded with random orphan toms these days.

I agree. It seems that no matter the sizes people get for their DW kits, there's always a 12" tom involved. Very nice sounding toms! I love mine...

Can someone point me in the right direction for guessing the right price then (with & without the STM), given that as you guys mention most people may already have a 12? Thanks.

why do you want to sell it. and if i was looking for a tom (which I'm not) like that i would pay around $100

Hey Jake,

I'm selling it b/c I play a 4-pc kit, not a 5. I've got the 13 on top and 16 on floor. I have no use for the 12. $100 is an interesting appraisal. I put in money on having the bearing edge done, buying new heads & t-rods, plus the new STM alone. Perhaps I could add up what I put in, plus an approx value of the tom itself?

I put in money on having the bearing edge done, buying new heads & t-rods, plus the new STM alone. Perhaps I could add up what I put in, plus an approx value of the tom itself?

That really has nothing to do with it. A buyer doesn't care how much you spent on the drum after market and they're certainly not going to pay a premium because of it.

At the moment, there is one listed on US ebay, keep an eye on this auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DW-8-5-x-12...476?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c60850d64 It may give you a ballpark figure.

But honestly, a buyer is looking for a drum at "going rates" the fact that you've spent extra is irrelevant. It is still a used item at the end of the day.

Personally, I think you're better off holding onto it. That way if you ever decide to sell it, you sell a full kit. A better return in the long run.

Last edited:
i would keep the tom and put it to the side in a case because one day you will want the 3rd tom and you would regret selling it

Thanks for the feedback. @ P.F.O.G. the money put in was mentioned simply to give an idea of its condition, which is fully restored to an almost new condition.

I agree a buyer wouldn't care how much was put in just b/c of the number, but rather what that money did to the quality of the drum (bearing edges, new rods, new heads, new mount). There is a huge difference in quality between an aged, trashed tom vs an aged restored tom.

But with that said, I'll watch the auction to get an idea of price, still haven't quite gotten a full idea from the responses thus far. Thanks though for all the feedback so far!

...... the money put in was mentioned simply to give an idea of its condition, which is fully restored to an almost new condition.

I agree a buyer wouldn't care how much was put in just b/c of the number, but rather what that money did to the quality of the drum (bearing edges, new rods, new heads, new mount). There is a huge difference in quality between an aged, trashed tom vs an aged restored tom.

I get your angle mate........and it's not that I'm unsympathetic. But look at it this way. I'm a buyer, there's two 12x9 DW toms listed on ebay (both same colour, specs etc). One is listed for a hundred bucks and one is listed for a hundred bucks plus the cost of having bearing edges re-cut, rods, new heads etc etc.....which one do you think I'll buy?

In that case, one guys happens to be lucky and nothing needed doing to his drum in order to sell it. The other guy wasn't so lucky and had to fork out extra to get the drum into shape. But when all is said an done, the two drums listed on ebay are identical. I come along as a buyer and I don't know the background on each drum.......and honestly, nor do I care. I just want the best deal.

The issue is;

What is it worth?

and what price will it sell at?

In this case, those are two separate numbers.

A used 5 pc DW collectors kit will sell for $1500-$2250 depending on age, condition, and finish.

From that, we can say, ok, your 12" is worth 1/5 of the value, and then scale it down since a 12" costs less then say the bass drum, and we arrive at approx $200-$300.

OK, but if you put on ebay for that, chances are, no one is going to buy it at that price, because it's an orphan, not part of a set. And an orphan no one really needs at that.

So it will take a huge reduction in price from it's value to sell.

And then factor in the current economy: Used gear isn't moving at good prices. The market is flooded with used gear, and not enough buyers for it all. I have items I put on ebay that didn't even get a bid. And others that went for way less than I thought they were worth.

No is on not responding with a solid $ figure because we're mean and are holding back the answer from you, the problem is, there really isn't a solid answer. It's selling price is what ever you can get for it, which is going to be far less than it's worth.

Which is why the advice of "hold on to it" is the best advice going.

This!

When you decide to sell the kit, it will be worth more as a part of a whole kit than as an orphan.

The edges were redone? That means it's worth even less, since it's not in factory-original condition. Sorry to say...

+1.Doing any work to a drum usually as in this case decreases its value.I tell this to guys all the time who buy vintage kits,rewrap them is some popular modern wrap of the day,redo the bearing edges,and replace the hardware,and drill extra holes to do so.Then they complain when they can't sell the drums or actually lose money on the deal.

Unless a drum is damaged...leave it alone.There is no such thing as upgrading a drum set,and expecting a higher resale value,especially with vintage drums.These kits,in order to fetch the most money,have to be in as cloes to factory new condition as possible,in order to sell for the highest resale value..

In the end,the're you drums,so do what ever you want with them,but friends don't let friends drill holes.Ask before altering the drum in any way.And one last thing.Those drums are a family...they are a matched set and should stay that way.You could change your mind about your set up and deeply regret selling that tom.Drummers change their mind all the time.

Steve B

Got a story for ya bud.

I bought a DW snare (same finish, same timeframe as yours) for $225. I put on a pair of Gibraltar wood hoops (~$125), a new old stock DW strainer and butt plate (~$35) and new snare wires (~$25).

it was mint, but I didn't like the sound, so I took it GC; got offered $200 in trade in value. Put it out on the web, asked $275; not a bite, best offer was $175. it ended up sitting so long, I finally got GC to give me $250 in trade.

Moral of the story is that the market will dictate what you can get, and frankly there is very little desire out there for 15 year old DWs. If a fully restored mint Keller era DW snare wouldn't get $200, you'll be lucky to 1/3rd of that.

The link to the tom that sold for $180 is not a valid comparison. Totally different eras, finishes, shells. Not even the same product.

I'd keep it, but if you really want to sell it, take it apart and sell everything individually. Lugs, tension rods, mount, hoops...

Hey Jake,

I'm selling it b/c I play a 4-pc kit, not a 5. I've got the 13 on top and 16 on floor. I have no use for the 12.

Maybe you could try running it on the left side above your Hi-hat? That way, you get to keep all of the dynamics of your 4 pc set-up, you get an extra tom sound if you want to use it, the whole kit stays together, and you don't lose any money off of your initial investment. Just a suggestion and I don't know if it would work exactly with your set up, but it's worth a try.

Back