question about drum rugs

15step

My band is currently trying to record, and I have a drum rug set up on a tile floor. I'm a super heavy hitter, and the tile is really old so it doesn't have any laminate on it anymore, so it's really slippery and over the course of a recording the whole drumset will slide across the floor. It's not a problem for the kit, because it's all on the rug so it moves as one unit, but it's a problem for miking because none of the mics are on on the rug, so they don't move with it and I eventually butt into them and ruin the track. This is pretty much preventing us from recording at all since we can't come up with a solution for it. If any of you have any ideas or words of advice or previous experience with a problem with this, please reply! Thanks!

My band is currently trying to record, and I have a drum rug set up on a tile floor. I'm a super heavy hitter, and the tile is really old so it doesn't have any laminate on it anymore, so it's really slippery and over the course of a recording the whole drumset will slide across the floor. It's not a problem for the kit, because it's all on the rug so it moves as one unit, but it's a problem for miking because none of the mics are on on the rug, so they don't move with it and I eventually butt into them and ruin the track. This is pretty much preventing us from recording at all since we can't come up with a solution for it. If any of you have any ideas or words of advice or previous experience with a problem with this, please reply! Thanks!

Hi

No room for the mics on the drum rug?

What about putting the drum rug on a larger carpet, so everything will move together...

get a rug that is large enough for your entire kit with throne to fit on.
Spray some hairspray on the tile and stick the rug to it.
The hairspray will wash off with a mop when you are finished.
It smells good too!

Last edited:
Or get a new rug with a rubber backing. Or get a bigger rug where your weight on the throne keeps you in place. I use a piece of what is essentially thin indoor/outdoor carpet I got at the Home Depot for cheap. It is not rubber backed, but it is big enough where my throne sits on it fully and my weight keeps me in place even on tile.

720112525_692px_Duct_tape_xlarge.png

You tape it, and you tape it and you tape it... Just when it thinks the taping is over... Thats' when the real taping starts.

Play open handed & constant double bass singles. That way you'll spread the vibrations evenly & the rug will stay put ;) ;)

I suppose the time signatures would all have to be even multiples of 2, as well.

I have a drum rug that only stays in place if I set up a DW kit on it.

Go out and get a roll of carpet tape.Its double sided and it will keep your rug from moving, because it sticks to the carpet and the floor.You can get it at almost any hardware store or carpet store.

Steve B

Go out and get a roll of carpet tape.Its double sided and it will keep your rug from moving, because it sticks to the carpet and the floor.You can get it at almost any hardware store or carpet store.

Steve B

Or just make a bunch of duct tape loops if you're like myself and too lazy to do things "the right way".

Recording in a Tiled Room??? Thats interesting, sounds like the soundz would be everywhere!! Reminds me of the days in Gyms or a college caf. nightmare stuff.
Good luck, go down to your local carpet outlet on a monday morning and pull some new trimmed pieces out of their throw away bin. Get all the carpet you can down on the floors. Doc

bob doesn't have to bring a mop to practice...
The hairspray idea came to be by necessity. We were playing at a club that had a real slippery floor on the stage. My rug was sliding all over the place and wrinkling around my hat stand.
Our female singer pulled up the edges of my rug and she sprayed hairspray underneath.
The rug didn't budge a bit after that.

My drum rug has a rubber backing and it doesn't move at all.

Back