My new Bosphors arrived today. Look at these beauties! (image heavy)

Jonathan Curtis

Silver Member
I had to go all the way down to London just to find a shop that stocked Bosphorus. I must be one of the only drummers in the UK to have a set.

They are:

Master Vintage - 22" Ride, 18" Crash/Ride, 14" Hats.

Paper thin, completely hand forged, with a very, very dry, dark sound. The best thing about them is the bell of the 22, just a gorgeous sound. I hope to have a few videos up in the next few months showcasing them.

Enjoy the pictures:

P1010534.JPG

P1010535.JPG

P1010536.JPG

P1010537.JPG

P1010538.JPG

P1010539.JPG

P1010540.JPG

P1010541.JPG

P1010542.JPG

P1010543.JPG

P1010544.JPG

P1010545.JPG

Beautiful cymbals! I'm very partial to unlathed cymbals - I have Murat Diril hi hats that are quite similar in appearance as well as a thin Paiste ride. I love the stick definition that you get out of cymbals like these even though they're a little harder to play because they expose your sticking that little extra.

I would actually suggest riveting the 22" ride but you've just got these and I know you probably wouldn't want to try that just yet!

It took me a lot of guts to rivet my Istanbul Ride! Don't do it. Not yet, anyhow.

I just missed out on eBay yesterday actually. I was bidding on a cheap Stagg 'Black Metal' crash (unlathed, quite thick) that I was going to pepper with rivets but at the last minute another bidder put on an 'automatic' bet up to slightly more than I was willing to part with for it. Hope springs eternal!

Beautiful bronze, but again, what a tease. Soundfiles please, you can't get me all hot and bothered and not finish the job, that's just abusive.

Would love to hear you on them.

Great purchase! Are these your first Bosphorus?

I also have a similar set up with the addition of a 20" ride as well to contrast the 22". I'm a 2 ride / 2 crash + hats player. I have found a 16" Bosphorus New Orleans crash that blends well with these as there's no 16" Master Vintage Crash in production.

I'll be interested in your experience with these. To me, feel is just as important as the sound and these have great feel. The stick melts when playing these at any tempos.

Additionally, it's taken me some time to learn how to play these. Much more complex than any Zildjian I've had (including my original K's) and just wonderful to play.

Believe it or not, I also am considering adding 3 rivets to my 22" as it's so dry and I want a tiny little more spread but the tone is really outstanding.

Hey there, awesome metal man. I am in serious need of new cymbals soon, they are just so expensive! What are your thoughts on those Evans heads? I was pretty interested in getting those, or just the plain G2's.

those are beauties ! been wanting to try the Master Vintages out & didn't know they are thin (look thick in pictures). if they are you first set, you will find their musicality is ADDICTIVE & makes you want to melt-down / sell your old cymbals for more Bosphorus gear.

Yeah, first set of Bosphorus. I tried them for 2 hours while in London, and fell in love. I originally planned to get the 20" to compliment the 22", but found the 18" buried in their cymbal selection. I didn't even know they made an 18" in the MV range, but it works really well. It's light enough to work as a crash, but can be ridden too.

They are surprisingly thin; I'd thought they were thick too, but they're not at all. They have a lovely wobble when played, but their thickness (or lack thereof) makes for such a dry sound and clarity of stick definition. I really can't recommend these enough.

@gseifers: I've actually just switched to Remo. I've got some Fybreskins for my jazz work. I don't have anything against the Evans particularly; the G2s are nice enough, but my tastes have changed a little and I want a slightly different sound.

Great purchase! Are these your first Bosphorus?

I also have a similar set up with the addition of a 20" ride as well to contrast the 22". I'm a 2 ride / 2 crash + hats player. I have found a 16" Bosphorus New Orleans crash that blends well with these as there's no 16" Master Vintage Crash in production.

I'll be interested in your experience with these. To me, feel is just as important as the sound and these have great feel. The stick melts when playing these at any tempos.

Additionally, it's taken me some time to learn how to play these. Much more complex than any Zildjian I've had (including my original K's) and just wonderful to play.

Believe it or not, I also am considering adding 3 rivets to my 22" as it's so dry and I want a tiny little more spread but the tone is really outstanding.

Absolutely agree re: feel. That's why I went for these. The 22 just feels so light to play, I can't get enough of it. It just felt like it was made to be ridden, which I suppose it is! I can't say I've found the switch difficult, much the opposite. It just seems so easy to play well on these things.

..... if they are you first set, you will find their musicality is ADDICTIVE & makes you want to melt-down / sell your old cymbals for more Bosphorus gear.

I have found this to be absolutely true. My only regret is not trying them sooner than a few months ago. I've wasted so many years chasing Zildjian cymbals that don't exist.

I also just began to snag the New Orleans stuff (now have a ride, hats & crash) as they are no longer in production. They are also incredible and may snag a slightly larger ride and one more crash for the series.

Last edited by a moderator:
Noice. I've had my eye on Master Vintage for quite a while. And yes, they are very thin! Love it.

There is a 24" ride I've had my eye on thats ~2300 grams.. wooooo super thin! and 14" hihats that are ~650/750 grams... wafer thin!

Beautiful cymbals. The Master vintage series is great!

Beautiful cymbals. I had the good fortune to play some Bosphorus cymbals a couple years ago. Ralph Peterson, the great jazz drummer, is an endorser and he gave a clinic at my local shop. They sound fabulous.

Congratulations on your purchase!

Back