Which cymbal should I get?

Araker

Its between a paiste 2002 15" Crash and a paiste alpha 19" metal crash, obviously the 2002 is the better line of cymbals, but the alpha is 4" bigger, the 2002 is £70 but I would have to take a 2 hour drive whereas the alpha is £85 but in my town, I dont mind taking the drive out but you know if there is not really any difference between the two i will go with the one near me. Also the 2002 looks in good condition but the alpha is in GREAT condition. Any suggestions?

Tell the guy with the 2002 you will meet him halfway so it is only an hour drive for you, if he says no than offer him 50, if he still says no than buy the Alpha for 75.... easy peasy : )

To me it's not so much about prices and travel... It's more about the choice between the two cymbals, they're so different, the 2002 is a more versatile cymbal than the Alpha which is designed for heavy rock and metal.

You should choose the cymbal that is the most suitable to your style of music.

Hope this is of some helps.

I've played 2002s and Alphas. They're both made from B8 bronze, but the 2002s have much more handwork involved, so they can sometimes have more musicality to them. With that said, even Alphas (as consistent as they are) are each a bit different. It sounds like the larger size Alpha would be better suited to your style of music. Therefore, I'd listen to it. If it's a good one, I'd go with the Alpha.

To me it's not so much about prices and travel... It's more about the choice between the two cymbals, they're so different.......

Agreed.

What sound are you chasing and what style of music do you play? A 15" cymbal is only slightly bigger than a splash or accent cymbal. A 19" is gonna have a hell of a lot more volume to it. If you're looking to cut through a Marshall stack then a 15" really isn't gonna do the job as a primary crash cymbal. If you're playing unmic'd with your accoustic duo in a coffee shop gig then the 19" Alpha is gonna take everyones head off.

Figure out what sound you're after and what application you want to use it for, then work out which cymbal from there. So far the only similarity between these two is that they are both stamped Paiste.....take the name off them and you'll find no common ground between the two.

Back