New Kit help

mattciupak

Hey everyone :)
I started drumming last year for my school's pitt band. This year, I joined the jazz band as well. I personally like playing jazz (as well as latin, funk and fusion, but more so jazz) a lot more than rock, pop, metal, and whatever else, but I play a lot of genre's.
I'm scouting for a drum kit at this point. I don't need one of those cheap beginner kits, or at least I don't think so ;)
Being a minor, my budget is $2000 MAX, ideally around 1200 or so though. I've been looking around for the past few days though, and the Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz kits look really nice. I also went to SamAsh the other day and played on a Pearl VBX kit, which was nice.

would I be in a better position (financially and in terms of quality and durability) buying a rock kit or a jazz kit? With or without hardware? Any recommendations as well?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Everytime I look at a thread like this, I reccomend the same thing. A Ddrum Dios 6 piece maple pocket drum kit. Its $800 and you get 2 rack toms, 2 floor toms, a bass and a snare and they are pretty much the same thing as a pearl masters custom
here's links for a video demo and a sales link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvOLlt_ye-g
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DDRUM-DIOS-...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335d39513a

The only kit that comes with a free extra tom is the one in natural finish but if u dont mind only 1 rack tom than u will have more options for color.
Also, would you want to get cymbals and a good double bass pedal too?

Everytime I look at a thread like this, I reccomend the same thing. A Ddrum Dios 6 piece maple pocket drum kit. Its $800 and you get 2 rack toms, 2 floor toms, a bass and a snare and they are pretty much the same thing as a pearl masters custom
here's links for a video demo and a sales link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvOLlt_ye-g
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DDRUM-DIOS-...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335d39513a

The only kit that comes with a free extra tom is the one in natural finish but if u dont mind only 1 rack tom than u will have more options for color.
Also, would you want to get cymbals and a good double bass pedal too?
Thanks for the recommendation, i'll definitely consider it.
as for cymbals, I think I'd have to play them in person rather than ask "What are the best cymbals?" to decide on some "good" ones.
when it comes to hardware though, I'm clueless. what's the difference between i.e. $80 cymbal stands and $200 cymbal stands?
any hardware recommendations?

I think a Sonor Force 3007 is superior to that Ddrum kit if you're looking for new in that budget. It's around the same price, comes with a free tom, and the Hardware is 500 times better than anything Ddrum has ever produced. You'll have a lot of spare cash for cymbals and a double pedal, or extra stands. As for stands, the ones that come with a mid range drum are more than you need already, for extra stands, I usually get the cheapest stands Sonor has, which are already great, and very, very cheap. The Gretsch kit you mentioned is very good, too, though. But I think the Sonor kits are more versatile.
Also check the used market. For 2000 bucks, you can get a nice high-mid-end kit + professional cymbals, and possibly have some to spare.

Fox.

@Fox
There is no hardware that comes with the ddrum, but as far as shell superiority, Ddrum uses keller maple shells (same that are found on dw kits) and sonor uses asian maple which is going to be a lot worse than the 100% american maple that ddrum uses.

+1 on buying used if possible you could probably get something like a Pearl Masters, Mapex Saturn, Gretsch New Classic, Tama Starclassic Performer or similar for the higher end of your budget.

If you want to buy new then I highly recommend the Mapex Meridian Maple. I think you should be able to pick up one new in the states for less than 1000 bucks and it comes with a Mapex 700 series hardware package which is seriously good. Also the finishes available are absolutely gorgeous.

The DDrum DIOS are very nice kits as well, however I personally dont have as much experience with them as I do with Mapex kits (I have 3 mapex kits :) )

Heres a link to a UK store that sells the MMM but you should be able to find somewhere in the states that sells them very easily

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mapex-Meridia...ents_Drums_Percussions_MJ&hash=item563c79bdd6

The only thing I would recommend replacing straight away on the Mapex kit are the batter heads (the reso's arent that bad but would be good to change these as soon as you can). They come with Chinese made Remo Pinstripes but I would recommend USA Remo Emperors on them to make them sing!

As for cymbals...buying something around the 1000 bucks mark would leave you a fair bit for cymbals so you could get some good cymbals to go with the kit - namely Zildjian K's, A's, Sabian HH's etc - they should all fit your jazz playing well :)

@Fox
There is no hardware that comes with the ddrum, but as far as shell superiority, Ddrum uses keller maple shells (same that are found on dw kits) and sonor uses asian maple which is going to be a lot worse than the 100% american maple that ddrum uses.

Sonor 3007 kits are part north american maple as well, and they sound awesome. Regardless of the hardware as in stands, I was also referring to the lugs, mounting system and so on, which I think Sonor's is much better. Mapex Meridian Maple are pretty much at the same level, too. The Ddrum kits are alright, I just don't think they are the best for that money.

Fox.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
I'll look for any local drum shops where I can play hopefully some of these kits.

I'm also assuming most of you recommend to buy a rock kit. I can only imagine changing the heads could make it less of a rock kit and more of a jazz kit though, and saying I probably won't be gigging until I get really comfortable with jazz I guess a smaller kit wouldn't be of great need to me, in terms of transportability.

Ideally, I'd like a ride, 2 crashes, and something more exotic (china perhaps, but would that go with jazz at all?). Anything I should be looking at? I'm not at all experienced with cymbals, but is there any good reason to stick with one brand? Recommendations? :)

Thanks again!

Back