Any other instruments that needs more ambidexterity Than Drums/Percussion?

Well, i play open handed (im left handed) but i dont think drumming requires ambidexterity, it requires hand/feet independance (obviously)

Well, i play open handed (im left handed) but i dont think drumming requires ambidexterity, it requires hand/feet independance (obviously)

I second that. Welcome to the forum, and GREAT screenname.

Ha Ha! Ok Colonel, I feel much better. I thought you meant geez... where did this annoying person come from : )

Ambidexterity
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ambidexterity is the state of being equally adapt in the use of both right and left appendages (such as the hands). It is one of the most famous varieties of cross-dominance.

Although ambidexterity is rare, ambidextrous people may still gravitate towards performing certain types of tasks with a specific hand. The degree of versatility with each hand is generally the qualitative factor in determining a person's ambidexterity.

In modern times, it is more common to find people considered ambidextrous who were originally left handed, and who learned to be ambidextrous either deliberately or during childhood in institutions such as schools where right-handed habits are often emphasized. Also, since many everyday devices are designed to be only ergonomic for right-handed people, many left-handed people choose to use the device with the right hand (good examples are can openers or scissors). As a result, left-handed people are much more likely to develop motor skills in their non-dominant hand than right-handed people (who are not subjected to left-favouring devices). Ambidexterity is often encouraged in activities requiring a great deal of skill in both hands, such as juggling, swimming, percussion or keyboard music, word processing, surgery, body boxing, and combat

So I'm thinking that any drummer who has close to equal ability in either hand should be considered ambidextrous, drumming definitely requires it (to sound good anyway)

Thx for ur replies but i thing drumming really requires some ambidexterity unless u really hit everything with ur dominant hand

Thx for ur replies but i thing drumming really requires some ambidexterity unless u really hit everything with ur dominant hand

Drumming requires as much ambidexterity as eating food with a knife and a fork does. I'm, for one, not ambidextrous at all. Even though I've used the fork with my left hand all my life, my right hand can fork circles around my left hand.

I'm kind of convinced by u guys that drumming don't require much ambidexterity...
Unless u set-up ur drum kit in a special way. But even if u do so u most probably will still have a dominant hand which is the ONE u start leading a beat/Fill. haha am i right?

In addition to using his/her hands and feet, a pedal steel player uses their knees as well. I remember hearing that the hardest instrument to play was the violin, because of the bowing, plus all of the notes are on this tiny unfretted neck. 2nd is the pedal steel, and 3rd is the drums. I'm not sure what comes after that, and I also don't know how much truth there is in that statement.

It sounds odd to me. Bigger the neck, harder to get clean notes. Cello and double bass playing requiers ability to literally jump for notes with your hand. There is quiet big gaps on strings between clean halftones on those instruments thus your intonation is always concern. Bows for them are bigger and clumsier. Plus double bass is physically much more demanding instrument, while todays academic double bass repertoire keeps up with violin music very well.

I'll have to search for the book, but I'm pretty sure that coordination wise the piano is called the most difficult classical instrument. High level hammond players maybe top that a little because of all 4 limb use(well one foot is on expression pedal sometimes).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60ut7yIuCEY

that video was just amazing Abe, the women got her footwork down... I wish my left foot was developed 10% of hers; I would be able to do amazing things with my hats...

Back