Why aren't Recording Customs popular today?

Tyshawn Sorey uses them, his drum sound on Brad Allen William's Lamar was incredible - I can't speak as to whether or not he used his RCs on that record but I would assume so.

Great drums.

There's a local guy who's been trying to sell his Yamaha Recording Customs for like $2500 for a 4-piece kit. That same drum set has been on and off of craigslist for a couple of years now.

I could've gotten a used Recording Custom kit in my preferred sizes 12/14/20 a few years back for $900 but decided I didn't need two kits at the time. Still kicking meself about that one.....

Love my RC 9000s with powershells.. always sound awesome and the hardware is as well.

Fashion.

Which is why I love my 9000 concert tom kit:
IMG_20160612_153124.jpg

No one will think I play this because it is trendy... But it sounds great!

RCs are very expensive drums but they are very high quality and have earned their reputation.There is a lot of competition at that price point for top of the line kits. I've played them and love them. I'll probably get a used set at some point. As for Rogers...Rogers killed Rogers. If people wanted their products after 1965 they would not have been sold. They had their day and it was a looooooooong time ago. Great drums for their time but there are too many modern kits that blow them away for much less money.

Yamaha does very little marketing for them. I see very few drummers playing them anymore. Practically nobody stocks them in their retail stores. And yet, everyone says they are the "most recorded drum in history"

Have these drums fallen out of flavor? Is the design "dated" and no longer cool?

What gives with these famous drums?

Well they are not the most recorded drums in history. Maybe for a period in the mid 80's to early 90's. I say this about most major manufacturers, "if it was so great, like your ad claimed, then why did you change it?". Must mean they weren't so great right? I mean the Phoenix is the best thing ever according to the wizards at Yamaha. FWIW I did some recordings with a birch Recording Custom back in the grunge days and it was exceptional. I brought my Premier XPK to the studio that day, but that Yammy that was there just sounded too good.

I say this about most major manufacturers, "if it was so great, like your ad claimed, then why did you change it?". Must mean they weren't so great right?

And consider then that the Yamaha 9000/RC drums have had only very minor changes since the late 70ies (slight edge variations and the YESS mounts), even the colors are mostly the same. What about the other manufacturers? Well there are Pearl Exports (that is in another segment and changed a lot), Tama Superstar (was and is great drums, but it is only the name that remains) -- any others?

They are NOT the most recorded drums.

The most record drums have not changed much. They even still mostly use the same old crappy machines to make them.

Back