DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 10-31-2011, 03:47 PM

Default Stone Killer - what tempo?

So, I've just started off with the stone killer to improve my single stroke roll, using this as a guide...

http://www.meyersdrums.com/images/cc...toneKiller.pdf

what I'm wondering is what tempo should I be aiming for before I proceed through the steps. I'm at around 130 now. Would you recommend trying them all at 130, or getting step 1 up to something quicker before progressing?
Old 10-31-2011, 06:03 PM

Default Re: Stone Killer - what tempo?

Start over and do the whole exercise @ 60 bpm or slower. Then increase the tempo 1 bpm a day. When you get to the point when you can't complete the Ex. say around 120- 140. then bump down 25bpm and increase again 1 bpm a day. try to do this 6-7 days a week.......
Old 10-31-2011, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member

First of all, I would make sure that you buy the book instead of using online scans. Even though Joe has passed, his wife is still alive and most likely gets the book royalties. The exercise is from a book called Master Studies. Here is a link.

http://www.steveweissmusic.com/produ...are-drum-books

If you do prefer a digital copy, it is also available on Kindle for a small fee. I have a copy of it on my Kindle app on my cell phone. I think it was $10 or so.

I studied with Morello. He would say to start it at a tempo that you are comfortable with - in your case 130. You can then move up the metronome a few markings at a time so that you are challenged, but not straining or tensing up. He would set a tempo range - in your case maybe 130-145. Within a week or two (after getting comfortable with 145), you can increase the range - maybe 145-160. Most of Joe's students can play the Stone Killer well in excess of 200, but it takes time.

You would do all the steps (4 on a hand, 8 on a hand, etc. at the same tempo). If you can't get to 50 repetitions, you can slow down the tempo or use less repetitions and then build up to 50x.

Jeff
Old 11-01-2011, 02:19 AM

My bad really, in my niavety I hadn't considered that it might be a photocopy out of book. So much stuff on the internet nowadays, you don't consider it may come from somewhere else!

Master Studies looks interesting, I'll either grab a copy myself or ask the good lady to get it me for christmas. I'm a bit of a textbook fiend anyhow, can never have too much information!

Cheers
Guys

Bebn
Old 11-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Silver Member

I just grabbed it at Amazon for $10, thanks for the recommendation Jeff. My house is getting rebuilt after a fire, so we're condo-bound for a few months with no place to set up a drum set. It's the perfect time to focus on a pad regimen with the master's book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwj View Post
First of all, I would make sure that you buy the book instead of using online scans. Even though Joe has passed, his wife is still alive and most likely gets the book royalties. The exercise is from a book called Master Studies. Here is a link.

If you do prefer a digital copy, it is also available on Kindle for a small fee. I have a copy of it on my Kindle app on my cell phone. I think it was $10 or so.

I studied with Morello. He would say to start it at a tempo that you are comfortable with - in your case 130. You can then move up the metronome a few markings at a time so that you are challenged, but not straining or tensing up. He would set a tempo range - in your case maybe 130-145. Within a week or two (after getting comfortable with 145), you can increase the range - maybe 145-160. Most of Joe's students can play the Stone Killer well in excess of 200, but it takes time.

You would do all the steps (4 on a hand, 8 on a hand, etc. at the same tempo). If you can't get to 50 repetitions, you can slow down the tempo or use less repetitions and then build up to 50x.

Jeff

Last edited by Spreggy; 11-02-2011 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwj View Post

Jeff
agreed

buy the book

there are a lot more exercises in that book that will greatly benefit you as well

one of the best drum books ever written