Matt cameron vs. Dave abbruzzese

While I, like most on this forum, generally shy away from the "who is better" debates, in this case I will chime in due to Matt Cameron being not only one of my favorite drummers, but likely my largest influence. His work in Soundgarden, especially on louder than love and badmotorfinger, are a clinic for odd time signatures and syncopated rhythms. Dave's work on Ten is legendary, no doubt, but he never seemed to be able to capture that in any further recordings.

While I, like most on this forum, generally shy away from the "who is better" debates, in this case I will chime in due to Matt Cameron being not only one of my favorite drummers, but likely my largest influence. His work in Soundgarden, especially on louder than love and badmotorfinger, are a clinic for odd time signatures and syncopated rhythms. Dave's work on Ten is legendary, no doubt, but he never seemed to be able to capture that in any further recordings.

maybe he couldn't capture it because Dave Abbruzzese did not play on "Ten"

that was Dave Krusen ...who is also a fantastic drummer

but as far as the debate....I never much cared for Abbruzzese playing

and Matt is one of my all time favs

Superunknown and Down on the upside are absolutely brilliant rock drum records ..... brilliant!!!!

Within the context of Pearl Jam, I far prefer Abbruzzese. He just seems to have a element of groove there that was perfect for that band. I find Matt Cameron's drumming very straight.....he's very heavy on the 1, which was perfect for Soundgarden......wouldn't want it any other way. But to me, takes a little bit of the "sex" out of the Pearl Jam sound.

So if you're asking me who do I think is better suited for Pearl Jam? Abbruzzese hands down......hell, I even preferred Jack Irons to Cameron to drive that band.

If you're asking me who is better overall? Who gives a toss.....I really dig 'em both in the right context and I'm thankfull they've both left me a body of work that I can enjoy for years to come.

both are great drummers. I prefer Abruzzesse in PJ, and like Cameron in Soundgarden, ......but prefer PJ with Jack Irons even more.

I'm a HUGE Matt Cameron fan- he's in my top 5, for sure- but no one has topped Abbruzzese in PJ, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I LOVE soundgarden... Cameron is a huge influence. However I'm not huge on PJ. Having said that though, Krusen's drumming on Ten is legendary.

I liked Dave Krusen's playing over DA's in Pearl Jam.

Dave a is a fine enough drummer, but he way overplayed the cymbals IMO.
Some people or drummers may like it, but I didn't. Especially when he'd hit a splash cymbal or crash as part of the beat every single bar.
When he laid off, I liked what he played.
This was his live playing, he may have done things differently in the studio, but I don't own any PJ recordings. They were played enough on the radio and on videos.

I saw PJ with Matt Cameron and they were great. Matt was a pretty nice guy, and so was the rest of the band.
Eddie Vedder was VERY excited to be singing with Cheap Trick that night. I wish I would have had a camera to get a shot of the smile on his face. It would have blown his "serious" image back then haha!

Love Krusen's drumming on 10. Dont consider myself a PJ fan, but like that record a lot, and the drumming is a large part why..

Ten is the only PJ album I have heard a lot of of,got to listen to when I had to learn Jeremy with a cover band,and I liked the drumming on the whole record.

I am more familiar with Sound Garden,and I love Matt's playing,I think he does an especially good job with odd time sigs,and can really give them a heavy driving groove IMO.

Abbruzzese's work on Vs. is absolutely awesome and Vitalogy is great, too. He was my favorite drummer with Pearl Jam.

Cameron is amazing with Soundgarden, and they couldn't have a drummer that is/was better fit for them.

So, it doesn't come down to who is a better drummer per se, but which application you prefer. For me, overall, I'd go with Cameron.

I liked Dave Krusen's playing over DA's in Pearl Jam.

Dave a is a fine enough drummer, but he way overplayed the cymbals IMO.
Some people or drummers may like it, but I didn't. Especially when he'd hit a splash cymbal or crash as part of the beat every single bar.
When he laid off, I liked what he played.
This was his live playing, he may have done things differently in the studio, but I don't own any PJ recordings. They were played enough on the radio and on videos.

I saw PJ with Matt Cameron and they were great. Matt was a pretty nice guy, and so was the rest of the band.
Eddie Vedder was VERY excited to be singing with Cheap Trick that night. I wish I would have had a camera to get a shot of the smile on his face. It would have blown his "serious" image back then haha!

I dont think it would have surprised many. I read their book entitled Twenty, and really learned a lot about a band that I love. Eddie seemed to have a no BS attitude, but he still absolutely loved singing. What he really didn't like was the publicity, and things that would happen because of the publicity (such as the Rockslide event). I think he would have wanted the band to be more like an underground band, but they really couldn't have done that.

Speaking of Eddie and PJ, listening to Alive really pumps me up for some reason. Especially live recordings of it since I can feel the raw energy and passion emitting from the band members

I guess it was the image the media gave him (that's what I meant by it) because he seemed like a regular, cool dude.

I'll chicken out and not vote for who is better overall...I saw Abbruzzesse w/ PJ in '94...dude was a madman behind his kit and still the best concert I've seen to this day. Awesome compliment and energy to every song. I think Cameron's style fits Soundgarden better than PJ, but I'm just a pogue who cranks both bands/drummers on the man-cave stereo and loves it all.

This is an awesome debate. I prefer Matt Cameron, because he plays in the pocket, and it's just tight! Dave on the other hand has a lot of finesse in his playing, and adds spice to it. I don't know I guess. In my opinion would depend on the time period of the Pearl Jam catolog!!!

Back