DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 10-06-2011, 03:50 AM

Default Powerful snare hit when playing fast Hi-hat.

Hey everyone. As the title says, how do you go about achieving this?

I just can't get my snare arm high enough when playing somewhat fast 16ths on the Hi-hat. An example of this is a song I was playing earlier, Ever fallen in love by The Buzzcocks. I can't get that nice high snare hit that most rock drummers go for.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:30 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Powerful snare hit when playing fast Hi-hat.

how high are your hi-hats? can you raise them up?

are you rimshotting your snare?

can you play open handed?
Old 10-06-2011, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettles View Post
how high are your hi-hats? can you raise them up?

are you rimshotting your snare?

can you play open handed?
I'm not sure of the measurement but I think they're higher than normal already :( At least high enough that when I friend sat on my kit he said "Woah, your Hi-hats are hiiiiiigh."

I've never tried rimshotting for a whole song before, I've always used it as an accent of some kind. It's probably something I should try though!

I can't play open handed comfortably enough to not be worried about messing up on stage but I wish I could. I'm left handed and I almost wish I learnt open handed now instead of playing normally. I do enjoy having my dominant hand on the snare though, as do some others.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:40 AM
Platinum Member

You want to employ a whip type of action with your snare hand, and a rimshot on each backbeat will help. Volume comes from velocity, and if you don't have room to raise your snare hand higher, you get velocity through swinging around a fulcrum.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:47 AM
Gold Member

Pretty much every backbeat you hear in a loud rock context will be a rimshot, so you're best to get good at them.

Here's a pic of Dave Grohl's HIGH hat, I don't have mine this high but I raise it up when I'm playing louder music -

and learn open hand playing, it won't take you very long if you stick at it
Old 10-06-2011, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
You want to employ a whip type of action with your snare hand, and a rimshot on each backbeat will help. Volume comes from velocity, and if you don't have room to raise your snare hand higher, you get velocity through swinging around a fulcrum.
This is something I've been working on but it's not quite there yet. When I was a beginner I always played really light. Playing rock music lightly just looks and sounds stupid in my opinion, it's a bad habit I've been trying to break out of. Of course you can also go crazy and play what I consider too hard!

Quote:
Pretty much every backbeat you hear in a loud rock context will be a rimshot, so you're best to get good at them.

Here's a pic of Dave Grohl's HIGH hat, I don't have mine this high but I raise it up when I'm playing louder music -

and learn open hand playing, it won't take you very long if you stick at it
Wow, that's high. That's all I can say to that. Although he does hit significantly harder than a lot of drummers.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:42 AM
Gold Member

If you move your hats farther toward or all the way to center with a remote so that your sticks don't have to cross then you'll have total freedom and your problem' is solved. Any range of motion at any time will be possible for your left hand. Plus that way you wouldn't have to potentially raise the high hats up high where you have to hold you whole arm up higher to play the bead on top of the hats.
billbachman.net
Old 10-06-2011, 06:14 AM
Gold Member

Now that's what I call a salesman ;)
Old 10-06-2011, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member

Does the music suffer if you play the hihat 16ths using two hands instead of one and move your right hand on the snare for backbeats?
Old 10-06-2011, 08:25 AM
Gold Member

A good point, your snare is more important than the hats
Old 10-06-2011, 09:59 AM

I had a short listen to the song that you mentioned and I'm pretty sure it's 8th notes on the hats. The tempo is fast so if you are playing 16ths on the hats at the speed you'd have to use both hands. Either way it's not always as necessary to get the snare arm higher than it is to play with a whipping motion to get speed and power into the snare. Use your arm like a windup and slingshot for your stick.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattA View Post
I had a short listen to the song that you mentioned and I'm pretty sure it's 8th notes on the hats. The tempo is fast so if you are playing 16ths on the hats at the speed you'd have to use both hands. Either way it's not always as necessary to get the snare arm higher than it is to play with a whipping motion to get speed and power into the snare. Use your arm like a windup and slingshot for your stick.
Sorry, I meant 8ths. I'm terrible with subdivisions sometimes! I do need to work on that whipping motion though, thanks.

Thanks everyone, going to go mess around with my setup now and experiment with my technique some more.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

A couple of things:

Remember, dynamics are RELATIVE. Maybe the answer isn't trying to clock the snare, but bring the volume of the hats down? Maybe not...

Remember that on recordings and live, the engineering may be bringing the volume of the snare up relative to the other instruments, so what you're hearing isn't exactly what was played.

As for the rest, lots of good suggestions.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:19 PM

A lot of drummers I watch are a lot of arms, bringing their wrists up to their shoulders to get big hits etc. I don't think I ever raise my hands more than a couple inches so I get the dynamic range isn't as much. I do work hard to make the volume very soft instead. That way when I 'lay into it' with a 6" height it's noticeably different, but not super loud. Every time I've tried to adjust my playing to the volume of the (loud) band I get exhausted and tense, so I don't do it anymore, they can turn it down or drown me out.

I would like to say I'm more into tasty playing, but in reality I'm just lazy and don't want to strain myself if I don't have to.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:21 AM

You have to lift the tip of the right hand stick with your wrists. Then you can also lift the tip of the left hand stick (with the wrist) because you have "cleared" the right hand stick out of the way. Break both wrists upward and you'll have a more powerful snare hit. I have my hats rather low but can still get a good backbeat. Of course, your hands have to be separated, not on top of each other. Hope this is clear and that it helps.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:

Lol @ all that moongel!

And yea his hi-hat is insanely tall
Old 10-07-2011, 12:36 AM
Silver Member

My hats are a little over medium height and to the left (but not sitting on top of the snare) -- see below:

At most tempos I can quite happily lift the left hand and stick through and over the right and bring it down again between the 8th notes on the hats for a big hit and a bit of showmanship in front of a crowd. Not for 16ths though, that would be mental :P

That being said - I don't need to do that to add dynamic range to a snare hit - use a whipping motion to add momentum without much extra height, use a rim shot or just put some extra wellie into it.

Can you not lift the right hand higher in unison with the left for a bigger hit on both? A hi-hat accent can compliment the snare accent quite well - especially in heavier music. This is one thing Lars UIrich does well in a live situation (Outlaw Torn is a great example).

Why don't you watch some heavy hitting punk and rock drummers on youtube and see how they pull it off.

Also - thought about heavier sticks?
Old 10-07-2011, 12:57 AM
"Uncle Larry"

If you're not rimshotting every backbeat, you are supposed to.

You are in clear violation of Section 4, Article 17, Paragraph 1 of the 2010 National Drummers Code.

First offense you get off with a warning, anytime after that you're fined.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:09 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post

You are in clear violation of Section 4, Article 17, Paragraph 1 of the 2010 National Drummers Code.

hahaha.....

I never rimshat my backbeats until quite recently in my drumming career. I much prefer the sound of a non-rimshot over a rimshot, but when I need volume I realised I had to make that sacrifice.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:

I swear it says the same thing in the national 'How to break sticks and inflict headaches' code :P
Old 10-07-2011, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I never rimshat my backbeats until quite recently in my drumming career.
.... what? o_O
Old 10-07-2011, 10:00 AM

I generally favour non-rimshots but I found when I do rimshots under a mic, it sound awesome.

But yeah, rock = rimshot backbeats. Do it, or Chad Smith will ram a holy china up your left nostril.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Gold Member

It sounded more grammatically correct than 'rimshotted' so I went with it ;)
Old 10-08-2011, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netz Ausg View Post
My hats are a little over medium height and to the left (but not sitting on top of the snare) -- see below:

That's a nice setup you've got there. You're floor tom looks quite far back and too the right, is that from the camera angle or something else or is that just how liked it?

I've tried heavier sticks but it just didn't work for me. I think it's just my technique more than anything, I definitely need to get better at raising both wrists high at the same time.

Quote:

How dare you sir, I'll see you in court!
Old 10-15-2011, 08:43 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludakot View Post
That's a nice setup you've got there. You're floor tom looks quite far back and too the right, is that from the camera angle or something else or is that just how liked it?

I've tried heavier sticks but it just didn't work for me. I think it's just my technique more than anything, I definitely need to get better at raising both wrists high at the same time.
The FT is somewhat back , but not far out. My right leg comes almost in contact with the shell. I sacrifice proximity to the rack toms for the comfort of playing the ride over the BD.

Like I said before, try watching some of the greats, maybe Gavin Harrison, Danny Carey or some others - they all hit hard when it's needed. When I've had issues like this before I've watched and watched and applied what I see to myself.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:46 PM

i don't know how much help i can be, but i'm a punk drummer, and i mostly play fast 16ths on the hi-hats. it took me a long time and a lot of begging the bass player with his 8x10 svt cabinet to turn the fuck down, but in the end, i've been able to get a nice loud snare hit without much motion or height. heavier sticks is a good start. it can wear you out at first, but they're noticeably louder, and you'll get used to it if this is something you really wanna do. another thing i do, and i know everyone else will tell you it's a bad idea... and it is, is that i hold my sticks at the very bottom. i don't get as much control as i'd like, but i do get the volume. i'm trying to work my way into proper technique, but i gotta tell ya, holding the stick all the way down at the bottom will give you a lot more volume with pretty minimal effort.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:31 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brupbacher View Post
another thing i do, and i know everyone else will tell you it's a bad idea... and it is, is that i hold my sticks at the very bottom. i don't get as much control as i'd like, but i do get the volume. i'm trying to work my way into proper technique, but i gotta tell ya, holding the stick all the way down at the bottom will give you a lot more volume with pretty minimal effort.
Guilty as charged! If I'm playing Metallica, Down, Pantera or anything of the ilk then my stick butts shift up into my hands. Sure, not really a 'technically' good grip but when I'm looking for MAXIMUM power then I'll use any trick I can (If I'm playing 8ths or 16ths on a lighter track then it's proper grip and rebound powering the fill in notes.
).

Be aware that this does fatigue your arms quicker.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brupbacher View Post
i don't know how much help i can be, but i'm a punk drummer, and i mostly play fast 16ths on the hi-hats. it took me a long time and a lot of begging the bass player with his 8x10 svt cabinet to turn the fuck down, but in the end, i've been able to get a nice loud snare hit without much motion or height. heavier sticks is a good start. it can wear you out at first, but they're noticeably louder, and you'll get used to it if this is something you really wanna do. another thing i do, and i know everyone else will tell you it's a bad idea... and it is, is that i hold my sticks at the very bottom. i don't get as much control as i'd like, but i do get the volume. i'm trying to work my way into proper technique, but i gotta tell ya, holding the stick all the way down at the bottom will give you a lot more volume with pretty minimal effort.
16ths at punk speeds is nothing to sneeze at... You got any vids or music up?
Old 11-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:

I just can't get my snare arm high enough when playing somewhat fast 16ths on the Hi-hat. An example of this is a song I was playing earlier, Ever fallen in love by The Buzzcocks. I can't get that nice high snare hit that most rock drummers go for.
Hi Lukadot

Well, I have two hi-hats, one the left hand side and one the right hand side (adjustable remote hi-hat) of the kit.

When I've got to play strong backbeats in 16th notes I'll use a modified paradidle.

Left hand on left hi-hat and right hand on right hi-hat.

Normal paradidles for one bar: RLRR LRLL RLRR LRLL

Modified paradidles for one bar: RLRR LRRL RLRR LRRL

In bold are the backbeats played with left hand, and since you're playing open handed you'll have plenty of space to lift your left hand.

Hope this helps
Old 11-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

there is no need to raise your arm high to achieve a loud snare crack...

sounds like you need some lessons in technique

you wont be sorry

find an instructor
Old 11-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moontheloon View Post
there is no need to raise your arm high to achieve a loud snare crack...

sounds like you need some lessons in technique

you wont be sorry

find an instructor
This isn't really correct...There is only so loud you can get without your hats-hand getting in the way. After that you need to be raising the stick up to vertical and sometimes employing a bit of arm as well.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
This isn't really correct...There is only so loud you can get without your hats-hand getting in the way. After that you need to be raising the stick up to vertical and sometimes employing a bit of arm as well.
not true at all

maybe you should check your own technique

I can play as loud as I would ever need to play with a small moelller wrist snap and a finger squeeze without lifting my stick higher than about 7 or 8 inches from the head
Old 11-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moontheloon View Post
not true at all

maybe you should check your own technique

I can play as loud as I would ever need to play with a small moelller wrist snap and a finger squeeze without lifting my stick higher than about 7 or 8 inches from the head
Guess your volume requirement is a lot lower than mine then :P I've been playing in punk bands for over 10 years, and I know for sure the volume I can get by lifting my arm higher and using a moeller whip is far greater than when they are crossed playing the hats. And I do take lessons ;)
Old 11-03-2011, 09:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Guess your volume requirement is a lot lower than mine then :P I've been playing in punk bands for over 10 years, and I know for sure the volume I can get by lifting my arm higher and using a moeller whip is far greater than when they are crossed playing the hats. And I do take lessons ;)

played metal and rock for the first 20 years of my drumming career......and I can tell you this.....you are using way more energy than you have to....

if you are going for visual affect thats one thing.....if not....you are just tiring yourself out....

you can save a boat load of energy if you look into keeping all of your dynamics between 3 and 12" strokes

check out some drum corp. videos of when they are not going for visuals
Old 11-03-2011, 09:38 PM

Use a larger stick for the snare hand????